• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Continental Pilot Dies in-flight; Plane SOD in Newark

Never_Fits

Wannabe Helo Bubba
I like in the article they say, the co-pilot had to step in and take the controls... how do you take over autopilot controls from someone else...

Other than that, is there a better way to go? Non-violent and in the air... serene.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I like in the article they say, the co-pilot had to step in and take the controls... how do you take over autopilot controls from someone else...

Never_Fits,

Short version ...STFU!!!

Long version...

ummm...what???? Pull your pants up your ignorance is showing. There is more to aviation than HT-8. Don't join this site and start running your pie hole in the same month. Sit back, listen/read and learn.

Did you know that this flight most likely had three pilots...one Captain, one type rated copilot and another copilot? Do you know the protocol for assuming the controls when the autopilot is on?

Although I can speak somewhat intelligently about most parts of aviation, I would bite my tongue in a room full of helo pilots discussing autos or VRS. You should do the same when faced with a discussion on fixed wing multi-engine topics.

I can't find the middle finger icon...

HornyU2

pilot
None
Never_Fits,

Short version ...STFU!!!

Long version...

ummm...what???? Pull your pants up your ignorance is showing. There is more to aviation than HT-8. Don't join this site and start running your pie hole in the same month. Sit back, listen/read and learn.

Did you know that this flight most likely had three pilots...one Captain, one type rated copilot and another copilot? Do you know the protocol for assuming the controls when the autopilot is on?

Although I can speak somewhat intelligently about most parts of aviation, I would bite my tongue in a room full of helo pilots discussing autos or VRS. You should do the same when faced with a discussion on fixed wing multi-engine topics.

I can't find the middle finger icon...

Damn this post makes me miss the military, and military aviation (Where the hell are my orders???) The goddamn beauty of it is, one day when Never_Fits grows up as a seasoned combat veteran, he'll say the same thing to some newb, and feel good about it. God Bless you Boyd.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Stupid question spawned by a report that the copilot thought the Captain was just asleep: Where do you guys grab naps on the long hauls? Flight deck, jumpseat, or do you all have a rack somewhere to crawl into?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stupid question spawned by a report that the copilot thought the Captain was just asleep: Where do you guys grab naps on the long hauls? Flight deck, jumpseat, or do you all have a rack somewhere to crawl into?

There's a stewardess joke in there somewhere, but it's too early in the workday and I'm only on coffee #1.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Damn this post makes me miss the military, and military aviation (Where the hell are my orders???) The goddamn beauty of it is, one day when Never_Fits grows up as a seasoned combat veteran, he'll say the same thing to some newb, and feel good about it. God Bless you Boyd.

Horny-

Our paths may cross pretty soon. I hang out with a few K-rock guys every now and then. The reserve blood is thick down here. I forgot... you going to 21 or 22?

OBTW...Seabass and I go way back. He might have changed call signs. Former USMC to USAF (U2s)...Initials SP. He is down here now too...at TW4 flying C-12s

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

On the 777 they sleep here. I'm linking the photo because it's copyrighted.
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/3/0/1008034.jpg
A friend of mine flies for United on the 777 and he says that sometimes they let them go sit back in first class if there are seats open. Sounds like a pretty nice gig to me. :D

SDNalgene

Blind. Continue...
pilot
Alright, I might be missing something, but what exactly did Never_Fits say that warrants the "STFU you stupid HT student"? At worst he made a bad joke, but he didn't assume to know anything or really talk out of turn. No he doesn't know the protocol for assuming the controls with the autopilot on; so what? If he added a question mark instead of the ellipsis that would have been a legitimate question. Of all the stupid things that get said on here on a daily basis that was really benign. Chill out.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
There's a stewardess joke in there somewhere, but it's too early in the workday and I'm only on coffee #1.

haha the NASC friday workday. I vaguely remember an Aero instructor going "get the hell out of here. it's friday and I don't care, you don't care, and you all have the gouge anyways. go home" at 10am.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
A friend sent me an e-mail he received from an airline pilot friend concerning the recent Continental Airlines tragedy (yeah, I know... the dreaded FWD:FWD:FWD:.... etc.... e-mail :) )

Years ago a Braniff (I think) B747 captain died en route from Honolulu to Dallas. The copilot made a routine landing at DFW, did the paperwork, and drove home.

In one corner of Operations, a large group of captains was huddled in a corner, all marveling at how a copilot was able to land the huge aircraft without the captain's supervision.

In an opposite corner, a large group of first officers was huddled, all marveling at how the copilot noticed that the captain was dead.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Where do you guys grab naps on the long hauls? Flight deck, jumpseat, or do you all have a rack somewhere to crawl into?
Sometimes all of the above ... when you do back-to-back crossing for @ 12-13 days straight, much of it on the backside of the body-clock ... it starts to get to you ... especially when you do it for days, weeks, months, ..... years. Decades, anyone ??? :sleep_125

Whether single or 'double' crewed ... I've taken:

1. Combat naps in the seat (poor quality)
2. Stretched out across a couple of WHALE jump seats (like a bed of nails)
3. And of course, for the 'official' crew rest-time -- the bunk room on aircraft so equipped -- mebbe by yourself, mebbe w/ someone else in the (other) upper/lower bunk. :D

Some bunk rooms (on the WHALEs) are better than others -- quieter, darker, etc. ... others -- referred to as 'torpedo tubes' and actually part of the cockpit -- not so good. I still had to wear ear plugs and eye shades in the bunk room to get any 'real' sleep for a couple of hours. Actually ... 'crew rest' in the bunk room is just enough to mess you up and make you REALLY groggy when you go back on duty. I'd rather go for the 'combat nap' in the seat.

It goes somethin' like this:

"How do you feel?? Are you doin' O.K.??? Then I think I'll check my eyelids for light leaks for 20-30 minutes, if it's O.K. with you .... ???"

Of course, you're wakin' up all the time ... but still, it's better than 'nothing'. :):sleep_125