• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Contact lenses at ocs

Travis2688

Are contact lenses allowed at all during OCS? I heard stories of the birth control glasses.. Are these worn for the duration of training? Or just during the poopy suit and chrome helmet phase? If glasses
are to be worn for the whole lenth of training, can they be your own after the initial phase or am I stuck with the BC's??

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It's been a couple years, but I believe BCs are going to be mando until candio phase. In Candio phase you can either do contacts or your own glasses. BCs are ugly as fuck, but honetly.... I wouldn't want to have to worry about getting shit in my eyes with contacts or losing a contact etc.... ESPECIALLY if I REALLY needed the glasses.... life is just TOO stressful at first. Don't worry about it.

Travis2688

Yea. I guess when you look at it from that perspective, I would suck to get some dirt or something in my eye and give the DI something to give me a hard time about... I go in June. I think I'm gonna start wearing my glasses more to get used to it. I wear contacts all the time except for when I sleep. It will be a big change to have to start wearing them while running etc... I have done 2 ironman triathlons while wearing contacts, so needless to say, I am pretty comfortable in them... But I'll have to do what I gotta do. I'm not gonna risk getting in trouble over something as trivial as glasses!

Thanks for the perspective Otto

nativeofsandieg

What are the requirements for glasses? My glasses are black rimmed simply looking eye frames. Will I be required to purchase or be given a different set of frames?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
You will have no time to deal with contacs, cleaning, etc. Easier just to wear the glasses for 14 weeks (or whatever it is now).

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
We didn't wear or bother with our contacts until our candio phase. If you have decent enough eyes, you may be able to get away from wearing the BCG's everyday if you care about how you look. However, if you really care how you look during indoc you have vanity issues. Bring your normal frames in the event you get some liberty out in town.

Travis2688

Skim,

I don't care about the looks, running in glasses just bothers the crap out of me. Sweat gets on the lenses, just a big hassel. I just don't want my runs to be affected by having to fool around with glasses. But, it is a small inconvinence for the reward of becoming a Navy officer.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Skim,

I don't care about the looks, running in glasses just bothers the crap out of me. Sweat gets on the lenses, just a big hassel. I just don't want my runs to be affected by having to fool around with glasses. But, it is a small inconvinence for the reward of becoming a Navy officer.

You will have MANY more things to worry about than your glasses annoying you during a run.... like your DI popping your fucking heart.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Just to add some new gouge to this discussion, a new OCR came out about a month ago and contact lenses used to be authorized for Candios (granted you don't runa whole lot as a candio anyway, but if you have my DI, you still get beat in the SUYA), but now they are not authorized until after Pass in Review is complete. So you can only wear your contacts for about 18 hours at OCS.