• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Considering OCS after college, had some questions

djguernsey

Pro-Rec SNA - OCS Class Date 27 May 2012
Hi and welcome. Most of your answers can be answered if you search the boards. To be an aviator, not only do you have to be in the height weight body fat standards, but you also need to fit the anthropomorphic measurements, as well as fit the visual acuity standards. There are links on a few threads for that information floating around.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
I have some things in common with you so I'll try to answer your questions, but you should search the forums as many of your questions have been answered.

Here we go:

I want to be an aviator and had a few questions about the selection process.

Would I know if I have been selected for a flight position before I agree to a commission?

Yes, you'll be selected for a pipeline prior to OCS. If you make it through the physicals at OCS and then again in pensacola, you'll continue on with aviation training.

Are there more flight opportunities in the Navy or in the Marine Corps?
I'll let one of the more experienced guys answer this as I have no idea.

Are aviator commission typically given to OCS graduates, or is it mostly the academy and ROTC?
There is no such thing as an "Aviator Commission." You commission as a Naval Officer. Period. That is your primary job and whatever your designator/MOS is, is secondary. Aviation is competitive, especially as of now with economy, but so are many of the other designators too, even more so. Commissions are given/awarded to those who either successfully complete OCS or make it through the Academy/ROTC.

Also another note, just because you get accepted to "try out" for Aviation, doesn't guarantee anything. I had people in my OCS class who never even made it into the beginning of aviation training in Pensacola. Some DOR'd or some just couldn't hack it and failed out.

I was an Aerospace Engineer as well too. Do your best and apply for the program and you'll never know what happens.

I am also worried I may be medically disqualified for flight school. I have a -2.00 prescription in each eye and I have also been a powerlifter since high school so I am a pretty big guy, 6'0 & 235 lbs. Not sure if there are size constraints for flight school.

I have bad eyes (soon to be fixed) but I am also an NFO and (well Student NFO) and love my job. Any "job" in aviation can't be beat....pilot or nfo, go with what you want. My eyes are worse than yours. Also i'm 6'5 and 236, not a powerlifter, but working towards some bodybuilding goals....there are limits for certain platforms and that's all a part of the "indoc" period while you're in pensacola. You'll find out what you're qualified, anthropometrically, to fly and what you're not.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me and ask.

SN0610

pilot
I have some things in common with you so I'll try to answer your questions, but you should search the forums as many of your questions have been answered.

Yes, you'll be selected for a pipeline prior to OCS. If you make it through the physicals at OCS and then again in pensacola, you'll continue on with aviation training.
Had a question about your repsonse:

In the event you did not pass physicals at OCS what is the service commitment? Do you continue through OCS under another designator or are you unable to continue?

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
Your service commitment will be dependent upon you being able to re-designate and complete a physical for that designator. Some people from my OCS class got dropped as Pilots and went NFOs. Some could not go NFO, so they became SWO or INTEL. If you then go through the physical for that designator and pass, your commitment will change to whatever is required for that designator.

After that day, you'll go through OCS under a different designator. Or worst case scenario (and I mean absolute worst case), is that you are not eligible for any designator or there are no spots available for you to redes, so you are forced to pack up and go home.

exNavyOffRec

Your service commitment will be dependent upon you being able to re-designate and complete a physical for that designator. Some people from my OCS class got dropped as Pilots and went NFOs. Some could not go NFO, so they became SWO or INTEL. If you then go through the physical for that designator and pass, your commitment will change to whatever is required for that designator.

After that day, you'll go through OCS under a different designator. Or worst case scenario (and I mean absolute worst case), is that you are not eligible for any designator or there are no spots available for you to redes, so you are forced to pack up and go home.

It is rare when they can't redesignate someone, the stats this year have none in that situation.