• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Considering my options but hitting walls...

jbarb

Hello, I am a prior-service Army E6. My mos's are 35F and 35M with a combat tour in Afghanistan and a joint inter-agency tour working directly for a Navy CAPT from SOF. I have a degree with above 3.5 GPA and have attended several MI schools to include foreign language training. I'd consider myself at least somewhat competitive.

I am having an issue extracting information from the officer recruiter I was referred to for the Reserves. I recently got my physical completed, completed all of the paperwork I received from him and I keep getting the run around.

Most of the websites pertaining to the DCO are several years old or simply state to talk to an Officer recruiter. My recruiter is too busy trying to talk me into going Active for Cyber, although I have stated my intentions. My recruiter just told me that the deadline for the Reserves is December and that I won't have time to finish my packet (aka, I'm not going to help you), which means I'll have to try again next year. He keeps saying that prior-service recruits are really hard to deal with admin-wise and that it is an up-hill battle the entire way. I think that part of the issue is the constant attempt at redirecting me to Active Duty and the lack of communications for weeks at a time when time is a huge factor. The recruiter is also giving me information that is directly at odds with my friends who are currently in as Navy Intel Officers (as far as the interview process goes, etc)

Is it worth it to speak with a Reserve recruiter to enter the Navy and apply from within? I understand I might have to attend schools and do 1-2 years before I could apply.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No apparent reason for you not to put an app up for DCO. Unless things have changed, a Reserve recruiter is just that. He should have no interest in pushing you to active duty OCS. Make sure you are talking to the right guy.

exNavyOffRec

Hello, I am a prior-service Army E6. My mos's are 35F and 35M with a combat tour in Afghanistan and a joint inter-agency tour working directly for a Navy CAPT from SOF. I have a degree with above 3.5 GPA and have attended several MI schools to include foreign language training. I'd consider myself at least somewhat competitive.

I am having an issue extracting information from the officer recruiter I was referred to for the Reserves. I recently got my physical completed, completed all of the paperwork I received from him and I keep getting the run around.

Most of the websites pertaining to the DCO are several years old or simply state to talk to an Officer recruiter. My recruiter is too busy trying to talk me into going Active for Cyber, although I have stated my intentions. My recruiter just told me that the deadline for the Reserves is December and that I won't have time to finish my packet (aka, I'm not going to help you), which means I'll have to try again next year. He keeps saying that prior-service recruits are really hard to deal with admin-wise and that it is an up-hill battle the entire way. I think that part of the issue is the constant attempt at redirecting me to Active Duty and the lack of communications for weeks at a time when time is a huge factor. The recruiter is also giving me information that is directly at odds with my friends who are currently in as Navy Intel Officers (as far as the interview process goes, etc)

Is it worth it to speak with a Reserve recruiter to enter the Navy and apply from within? I understand I might have to attend schools and do 1-2 years before I could apply.

Given the board cutoff date I would say you really have no chance to get an application together, you would need IDC interviews and depending on the NRD and who they work with they may only do panel interviews at specified times.

If you look at some of stats of the past selectees majority have Masters degrees, variety of certifications, hold civilian positions that would be equivalent junior officer positions, etc....

Are your friends active? active process =/= reserve process, and they look for different types of people.

Not sure why he would push you CWE, they only accept degrees from a small group of schools and have specific requirements, possible you meet the requirements, but odds say probably not.

jbarb

Given the board cutoff date I would say you really have no chance to get an application together, you would need IDC interviews and depending on the NRD and who they work with they may only do panel interviews at specified times.

If you look at some of stats of the past selectees majority have Masters degrees, variety of certifications, hold civilian positions that would be equivalent junior officer positions, etc....

Are your friends active? active process =/= reserve process, and they look for different types of people.

Not sure why he would push you CWE, they only accept degrees from a small group of schools and have specific requirements, possible you meet the requirements, but odds say probably not.

Are you saying that my almost 10 years of experience (to include Joint and Inter-agency) with current clearance and high GPA wouldn't compare to someone who decided to get a masters? I hope you don't think that I'm being an ass by asking this, this is a legitimate question that my recruiter was unable to answer. How competitive am I compared to other applicants? High gpa, foreign language, multiple disciplines of MI, plethora of certs/schools, high PT (I hope this doesn't matter as much as it did in the Army....), etc.

If you have a gov email, I'll send my resume for feedback in terms of how competitive I truly am, pm me.

My friend is Reserve as well, however he is in a different state/region.

Yeah, the recruiter (take a deep breath, this is shocking) encouraged me to go back to college and acquire an additional degree in computer science and then apply to go AD. I'm assuming this person doesn't realize that I cannot do that on the fly and within 90 days. No, my degree is related to CWE.

exNavyOffRec

Are you saying that my almost 10 years of experience (to include Joint and Inter-agency) with current clearance and high GPA wouldn't compare to someone who decided to get a masters? I hope you don't think that I'm being an ass by asking this, this is a legitimate question that my recruiter was unable to answer. How competitive am I compared to other applicants? High gpa, foreign language, multiple disciplines of MI, plethora of certs/schools, high PT (I hope this doesn't matter as much as it did in the Army....), etc.

If you have a gov email, I'll send my resume for feedback in terms of how competitive I truly am, pm me.

My friend is Reserve as well, however he is in a different state/region.

Yeah, the recruiter (take a deep breath, this is shocking) encouraged me to go back to college and acquire an additional degree in computer science and then apply to go AD. I'm assuming this person doesn't realize that I cannot do that on the fly and within 90 days. No, my degree is related to CWE.

yes your experience on AD counts, but there are numerous other applicants who have similar experience either with a civilian agency or military experience that do have a masters, not saying you couldn't get picked up but the further you get away from the center of the target the less the chances are.

What is your degree in? they have gone to preferred degrees being tech, and officer in the USN don't need language experience in IDC, the PT doesn't matter for application, the schools all a plus and the certificates depending on how they relate could be a big plus.

Reserve IDC is very competitive, there is a thread with the stats on it for each board going back years, many applicants had to apply several times, from the reserve applicants that I saw pass through the NRD I was at I would say you would be an average applicant, the panel interviews could really bump you up just like I have seen the panel interviews take an ideal candidate and sink them.

jbarb

yes your experience on AD counts, but there are numerous other applicants who have similar experience either with a civilian agency or military experience that do have a masters, not saying you couldn't get picked up but the further you get away from the center of the target the less the chances are.

What is your degree in? they have gone to preferred degrees being tech, and officer in the USN don't need language experience in IDC, the PT doesn't matter for application, the schools all a plus and the certificates depending on how they relate could be a big plus.

Reserve IDC is very competitive, there is a thread with the stats on it for each board going back years, many applicants had to apply several times, from the reserve applicants that I saw pass through the NRD I was at I would say you would be an average applicant, the panel interviews could really bump you up just like I have seen the panel interviews take an ideal candidate and sink them.

I'd like to leave it generic but it is not STEM, although it is a recommended one for MI. I have several outstanding applications from high-ranking sof Navy officers and generally do well in interviews. However, due to the timing of other circumstances, I think the best case scenario is for me to enlist into the Navy, and apply from within. Regardless, I'm not interested in going back to the Army.

exNavyOffRec

I'd like to leave it generic but it is not STEM, although it is a recommended one for MI. I have several outstanding applications from high-ranking sof Navy officers and generally do well in interviews. However, due to the timing of other circumstances, I think the best case scenario is for me to enlist into the Navy, and apply from within. Regardless, I'm not interested in going back to the Army.

I don't know if I would enlist, that ads another level of hoops, unless you are wanting to get a retirement one way or another.

STEM are they only preferred degrees now (for USN), it is a change from say about 5 years ago, anything else is listed as "acceptable". One thing that seemed to impress the panel on the people who went through my NRD is the continuing education of some sort, either way you have a year to keep getting an application together.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Jbarb, don't give up the ship yet.

I'd recommend enrolling in a Master's program and getting your DIRCOM application together for the January 2017 IDC Board. Find and work with a mentor (senior 18X5) on ways to improve your qualifications. Get a civilian job - ideally with IDC relevance - and work up the leadership ladder in it.

All of these things are not easy, but doable.

Northshore

The IDC boards used to meet twice a year but has changed to once a year. The next meeting is mid Jan 2016. You will not make the deadline considering the amount of paper work and interviews as indicated by individuals in this thread. The process is essentially similar to applying for a civilian job minus the mounds of paper work and time. One individual discussed what qualifications will make him competitive. I don't believe any recruiter will ever tell you this information. Check out the requirements for IP/Intel as an example and determine if you qualify. If not, spend the year achieving those goals.

JBARB here are some pointers that you can takeaway from the 2014 IDC Board:

SEP 2014 IDC PR highlights -- use this information to understand what the board is looking for.

A professional review board consisting of ten 1805/1815 / 1825/1830/1835 officers reviewed 235 packages, of which 47 were professionally recommended for commissioning.

The professional review board utilized a "best fit" approach when recommending candidates for the various Information Dominance Corps (IDC) designators. Based on this approach, a candidate may have been recommended for a designator which was not the candidate's primary community preference but the professional review board determined the presented skills were a better fit for the community for which they were ultimately recommended. Particular emphasis was also given to the "whole person" concept as well as demonstrated success with respect to coursework in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).

Recommended applications for Oceanography (1805) possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military/civilian), strong and well-written motivational statements, outstanding interviews and recommendations, specific relevant Meteorology and Oceanography educational background and experience.

Recommended applications for Information Warfare (1815) possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military/ civilian), strong motivational/personal statement outstanding appraisals, letters of recommendation, related degree (particularly Hard Science, Engineering or Language), level of education, GPA, Information Warfare/IDC-related job experience, and security clearance eligibility.

Recommended applications for Information Professional (1825) possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military/civilian), advanced technical degrees (particularly STEM related), Information Technology/IDC-related work experience (Radio Frequency (RF) technology or Shipboard Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Inlelligence (C4I)), technical certifications (e.g. CISSP, Security+), security clearance eligibility, strong and well-written motivational statements, outstanding interviews and recommendations.

Recommended applications for Intelligence (1835) possessed the following general attributes: quantifiable leadership/supervision (military or civilian), advanced education (with emphasis on STEM related coursework), intelligence/IDC-related/analytical work experience, security clearance eligibility, strong and well-written motivational statements, outstanding interviews and recommendations.

Non-selected applications possessed one or more of the following general attributes: Weak or ambiguous IDC OIC endorsement, incomplete packages including lack of supporting documentation, less than outstanding panel interviews, lack of quantifiable leadership, lack of demonstrated strong educational performance (with emphasis on STEM-related coursework), demonstrated poor writing skills and civilian or military employment/skill set not applicable.

General professional review board observations/commissioning instructions:

a. The Professional Review noted a few applications did not meet minimum requirements as delineated in IDC Program Authorizations and other governing documents. Recruiters need to carefully scrutinize applicant packages for completeness, consistency and compliance.

b. The Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance has directed a 60-40% hard science versus social science targeted accession mix of all new IDC accessions. Recruiters shall make every reasonable attempt to submit future candidates with preferred major fields of study associated with the achievement of information dominance to include, but not limited to, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).

c. A strong emphasis should be placed on the candidate's education, professional experience/certifications, leadership experience/potential and strong motivational statements.

d. Candidates should clearly explain any adverse areas in their application. In such an incredibly competitive review process, any unexplained or ambiguous issues were generally not favorably considered for "best fit" within the "whole person" concept.

e. All candidates must meet the Director of National Intelligence (DNI), Intelligence Community Directive (ICD) 704 eligibility standards for access to Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) and other controlled access program infor mation. Being a U.S. citizen and a citizen of another country is not necessarily disqualifying. Associated risks to national security will be determined on a case-by-case basis. Refer to Intelligence Community Policy Guidance Number 704.2.

1. Applicants who have immediate family members or other persons who are non-U.S. citizens to whom the subject is bound by affection or obligation with low, medium, and high tier country associations require strict adherence to Navy ICD 704 implementing policy for the processing for SCI Access Eligibility.

2. Due to the heightened risk related to national security, the Community Manager shall determine commissioning policy exception guidance for applicants with medium and high tier country associations based on compelling need and intelligence risk assessment, established manning and mission needs.

f. Although enlisted professionals are a rich resource from which to devel op future officers, candidates whose rates are not permanent or are completing their community's initial training requirements should not apply until initial training requirements are completed.

g. IDC Packages should be tailored to communities within the IDC for which the candidate is best suited based on their education, skill set and occupational experience.

h. All recommended prior service commissioned officers shall be commissioned at their last commissioned rank. Recruiters are instructed to reset time-in-grade clocks for any professionally recommended candidates that will be commissioned in the grade of O-3 so as to not disadvantage or hinder the candidate's future promotion opportunities.

Specifics regarding candidates' scores or board deliberations will not be disclosed outside of the professional review membership. Candidates and recruiters are encouraged to consult with the local IDC Region OIC and OCEANO/IW/IP RC community leads to determine how to proceed/improve candidates' packages. The guiding documents for this PR were Program Authorizations 108A, 108B, 108C, and 108D. Candidates are discouraged from contacting the IDC (Active/Reserve) OCMs or professional review voting members and should request any information regarding the professional review process via their NRDs.

The next IDC DCO Professional Review will be held 16-20 March 2015. Interim guidance has been promulgated through CNRC PRODOCs checklist, COMIDCRESCOM DCO Recruiting SOP and September 2014 IDC DCO PR Precept. All IDC applicants require an IDC Reserve Region OIC endorsement or Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command (CNMOC) Operational Support Officer (OSO) endorsement.

All professionally recommended enlisted IDC candidates currently mobilized or identified for mobilization shall be commissioned after demobilization, irrespective of the fiscal year. Additionally, those candidates who have not previously mobilized in their current rate or are outside dwell or deferment period shall be required to fulfill directed community mobilization requirements prior to commissioning.

---

Other critical resources:
Board history:

SEP09 (first FY10 board) - 174 applicants. Selected 57 INTEL. (Last INTEL-only board.)
MAR10 (second FY10 board) - 278 applicants. Selected 31 INTEL, 11 IW, 13 IP, 0 OCEANO. (First joint IDC board.)
SEP10 (first FY11 board) - 262 applicants. Selected 41 INTEL, 10 IW, 5 IP, 2 OCEANO.
MAR11 (second FY11 board) - 283 applicants. Selected 40 INTEL, 10 IW, 6 IP, 0 OCEANO.
SEP11 (first FY12 board) - 348 applicants. Selected 55 INTEL, 12 IW, 7 IP, 0 OCEANO.
MAR12 (second FY12 board) - 243 applicants. Selected 59 INTEL, 8 IW, 9 IP, 1 OCEANO.
SEP12 (first FY13 board) - 285 applicants. Selected 54 INTEL, 6 IW, 5 IP, 0 OCEANO.
MAR13 (second FY13 board) - 234 applicants. Selected 53 INTEL, 7 IW, 5 IP, 1 OCEANO.
SEP13 (first FY14 board) - 196 applicants. Selected 50 INTEL, 8 IW, 6 IP, 2 OCEANO.
MAR14 (second FY14 board) - 190 applicants. Selected 40 INTEL, 8 IW, 9 IP, 0 OCEANO.
SEP14 (first FY15 board) - 235 applicants. Selected 38 INTEL, 4 IW, 3 IP, 2 OCEANO.
MAR15 (second FY15 board) - 16-20MAR15.

on Facebook and at IDCsync.org!
das, Sep 23, 2014 Report

JBARB,

Here is a candidate that was selected that has a Bachelor's Degree with no certifications:

Derek0812New Member

Non select here

For those selected in IW/IP.

Do you have more than one cert?
How did you highlight your leadership experience?
How long was your motivation statement? I think mine may have been "too long"
How many pages was your resume?
1. I was selected for IW and don't have any certs
2. My leadership experience was made evident in my resume, which highlighted the number of people (MIL/CIV/CONT) that I manage and examples of how I've led effectively. I also touched on leadership in my statement. Basically, that I want to use all the leadership experience that I've developed as a civilian...to lead junior sailors as an IW officer.
3. My motivational statement was VERY short....I don't think I took up half the character limit. I figured it was better to be concise...then pad it with extra stuff just to hit the limit.
4. 3 page resume. I figured that I couldn't afford to cut out key experience

I basically function as a senior IW officer in my current work role with the DOD, which I'm sure helped me when they noted my responsibilities in my resume. Plus, I'm currently a GS-13 (O-4 equivalent) as a DOD civilian...which probably helped my cause and made up for the fact that I don't have graduate degree or STEM degree. Just speculating...

Hope this helps you a bit.

Derek0812, Mar 26, 2015 Report

All recruiters are not equal and you truly have to campaign for yourself. Here is a an Outstanding Recruiter that I recommend. Her name is LT Lenea Udoh and her contact information is (717) 686-2058