• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Considering AMDO

Beefalo

I am considering putting in a package for OCS and AMDO. I have 8 years enlisted active duty experience. I have been to AMD:confused:rg and just wanted to get some feedback on certain aspects.

SWO was my first choice but the quality of life and leadership challenges is starting to make me think twice. It sounds like the quality of life as an AMDO would be much better as far as number of watches stood, sleep underway, duty section, shipboard evolutions, etc. I am not an aviation rate but I have been to two aviation oriented commands.

1. What kind of watches and how frequent does an AMDO stand watch inport and out to sea? I stood inport OOD with an AMDO once and it didnt sound like he stood too many watches except for deck watches inport as compared to a SWO who stands alot of watches out to sea and also in port.

2. What are the mandatory and optional qualifications a first tour AMDO must obtain? How long does this usually take? My understanding is you are shooting to get the PAMO designation as quick as possible?

3. Do AMDO's get to participate in any sort of operational evolution or is it primarily just managing paperwork, meetings, and managing a division?

4. If you are an AMDO...what do you like the most and least about your designator?

5. What is the relationship like between an AMDO and pilots/NFO? Are AMDO's considered the red headed step children officers in a squadron since the majority of officers are aviators not to mention the CO and XO.

6. AMDO is chockful of prior enlisted aviation maintainers and LDO's. I am a surface maintainer. Will I be at a significant disadvantage as an Ensign compared to the other prior enlisted aviation maintainers?

I know lots of questions, but thanks to anyone who can help. I cant do pilot or NFO so Im trying to find a community I would enjoy.

slaypax

I am trying to get as much info about this designator as possible too, thinking of putting it down as second or third choice in my OCS application package, coming from the civilian side, and this AMDO forum is looking a little pale.

slaypax

Upon reading more about this, I am starting to wonder why my OR suggested I look into this...it seems like it's primarily for prior enlisted with many years of experience. Should it be some sort of red flag that my OR even suggested this to me? Should I be concerned?

Beefalo

Might be harder but not impossible if you have a good package with solid GPA and ASTB. I stood watch with an AMDO who was a former submariner so anything is possible.

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot
I'll attempt to answer a couple of your questions. Obviously I'm not a 1520 but my prior life was aviation maintenance. I don't think AMDO's are considered the "red headed step children Officers". They are ground Officers who spend most of their time downstairs in the maintenance dept. and not upstairs in the ready room. I've only known about 10 AMDO's and the number of priors/non-priors were split evenly. So your non aviation enlisted rate will not hurt you. Will you have a disadvantage? Perhaps at first, but the non-prior AMDOs that I know enjoy their job and quality of life. Oh and aviation LDO's and AMDO's are not the same. Even though they typically do the same jobs at the squadron level, they have different designators and career paths. If you are thinking about applying go for it. I'm also willing to bet that an AMDO Ensign gets way more sleep than an Ensign in SWO land.....

JTW

A Flying Sea-WO
pilot
The disadvantage is only because you will have to play catch up learning the Naval Aviation Maintenance Program (NAMP).

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll attempt to answer a couple of your questions. Obviously I'm not a 1520 but my prior life was aviation maintenance. I don't think AMDO's are considered the "red headed step children Officers". They are ground Officers who spend most of their time downstairs in the maintenance dept. and not upstairs in the ready room. I've only known about 10 AMDO's and the number of priors/non-priors were split evenly. So your non aviation enlisted rate will not hurt you. Will you have a disadvantage? Perhaps at first, but the non-prior AMDOs that I know enjoy their job and quality of life. Oh and aviation LDO's and AMDO's are not the same. Even though they typically do the same jobs at the squadron level, they have different designators and career paths. If you are thinking about applying go for it. I'm also willing to bet that an AMDO Ensign gets way more sleep than an Ensign in SWO land.....
JTW is spot on. I've been in 5 Navy Squadrons, 3 fleet VA, and 2 shore RAG (FRS) VAs. The AMDOs/LDOs (lovingly called 'GroundPounders') were an integral part of the wardroom & while they plied their trade mainly in maint. spaces/on flight deck, they were equal denizens of, and always welcome in the sacred "inner sanctum" of the the Squadroom ready room.:)

'Pounders' enjoyed RR nicknames, and often had the honor of their names painted on one side of a Sqdn. aircraft. They were welcome attendees at all Sqdn. social/recreation activities. Pounders were equal partners in crime with pilots, on liberty adventures all over the globe.;)

Times may have changed since I retired some 38 years ago, but I doubt this relationship has! My favorite AMDO (& 'pounder nickname) ... LT Len "Ricochet" Curreri, Sqdnmate & MCO VA-146, '65-'68. Still in touch w/ Ricochet by e-mail. No worries about being a "Red Headed Stepchild"!:p
BzB

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah pounders are always a good time. Most of them have been in the navy way longer than I have, and all of them have been in the fleet longer, so their experience and wisdom (on non flying subjects) can be very valuable to a first tour JO.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
I am considering putting in a package for OCS and AMDO. I have 8 years enlisted active duty experience. I have been to AMD:confused:rg and just wanted to get some feedback on certain aspects.

SWO was my first choice but the quality of life and leadership challenges is starting to make me think twice. It sounds like the quality of life as an AMDO would be much better as far as number of watches stood, sleep underway, duty section, shipboard evolutions, etc. I am not an aviation rate but I have been to two aviation oriented commands.

1. What kind of watches and how frequent does an AMDO stand watch inport and out to sea? I stood inport OOD with an AMDO once and it didnt sound like he stood too many watches except for deck watches inport as compared to a SWO who stands alot of watches out to sea and also in port.

2. What are the mandatory and optional qualifications a first tour AMDO must obtain? How long does this usually take? My understanding is you are shooting to get the PAMO designation as quick as possible?

3. Do AMDO's get to participate in any sort of operational evolution or is it primarily just managing paperwork, meetings, and managing a division?

4. If you are an AMDO...what do you like the most and least about your designator?

5. What is the relationship like between an AMDO and pilots/NFO? Are AMDO's considered the red headed step children officers in a squadron since the majority of officers are aviators not to mention the CO and XO.

6. AMDO is chockful of prior enlisted aviation maintainers and LDO's. I am a surface maintainer. Will I be at a significant disadvantage as an Ensign compared to the other prior enlisted aviation maintainers?

I know lots of questions, but thanks to anyone who can help. I cant do pilot or NFO so Im trying to find a community I would enjoy.

1. AMDO sea duty billets are split between squadrons and ship's company. In squadrons, they typically stand SDO (at least I did). Aboard ship it ranges from JOOD to OOD, to ACDO and CDO(inport)--depending on rank and experience.
2. The PAMO designation is dependent upon completing the Aviation Maintenance Officer PQS, which also requires 24 months of O-level (squadron) experience and 24 months of I-level (AIMD/FRC) experience--plus an oral board and TYCOM approval. The expectation is that an AMDO will have their PAMO designation by LCDR.
3. Being in an operational squadron--or on an operational ship--is by definition "operational." Ensuring the jets are ready for the schedule and being able to think on your feet so you can pull of a "2 turn 3" or "3 turn 2" or a "4 turn 4" across 8 or 9 events in cyclic ops is not an insignificant task. If you're good--you'll be busy. And you'll be planning for Fallon, TSTA, C2X, and cruise.
4. Likes--leading technically trained Sailors in preparing aircraft for combat or combat training and working alongside Naval Aviators--or if in AIMD ensuring that the air wing has all the materials and services they need to keep 60+ airplanes healthy for six to nine months at sea. Managing the mechanics of repair, supply, budget, staffing, tech data, and time. It's hard...and it's fun. Don't like--can't think of much. I had a great ride. Command x 2, fun tours, and great lifelong friends.
5. A good AMDO is a trusted advisor to the CO/XO/MO. You're one of the few people in the squadron--along with the Super JO and the Gunner who is totally dedicated to being a "master of their craft."
6. Yes...there are a number of AMDO's who were prior enlisted. I was not one of them. I only managed to survive through CAPT.

If you haven't looked at this brief--please take the time to do so.

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/boards/activedutyofficer/Pages/CommunityBriefs.aspx