• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

confused about something...

soonernation51

I remeber seeing somewhere that NROTC is to become a reserve officer, but i cant find it. Is this true? or can you go active duty if you want?

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
soonernation51 said:
I remeber seeing somewhere that NROTC is to become a reserve officer, but i cant find it. Is this true? or can you go active duty if you want?
Regardless of whether or not you're USN or USNR out of ROTC you'll do 4 years of active duty as a minimum commitment.

CommodoreMid is right, everyone is getting USN now, not that it really matters all that much.

FYI - if you want to go aviation the commitment is significantly longer than four years (think 8 years after winging... which could take over 18 months).

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
pennst8 said:
FYI - if you want to go aviation the commitment is significantly longer than four years (think 8 years after winging... which could take over 18 months).

Or it could take 3 years, like me.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Or it could take 3 years, like me.

You are supposed to pass the tests the first or second time (Just Kidding) ;)

ea6bflyr

Don't complain...I knew guys that got held up in the whole T-2 Flight controlability issues and they took FOREVER to get through intermediate....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:

ea6bflyr

Don't complain...I knew guys that got held up in the whole T-2 Flight controlability issues and they took FOREVER to get through intermediate....

I'm not complaining, really. I got my first choice and I'm loving it :)

Plus, there are guys that have spent 2+ years in Meridian training... I can't even imagine that misery.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
ea6bflyr said:

ea6bflyr

just out of curiousity, what happened w/ the T-2's there?

oztin79

CommodoreMid said:
Everyone is now getting regular commissions.
So JO's don't have to APPLY for reg commission anymore! That's awesome news! I had heard the opposite...that ALL new commissiones were USNR.

So does this mean the Section Leader OC in our OCS Chain of Command is now "Section Leader, Officer Candidate Schmuckatelli, USN," or does it go to Regular Navy only after commissioning? I know, who cares, but it would still be good to know. Thanks.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of, anyone know when FY03 can start using USN? I know there was a pause period for it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:

ea6bflyr

Well some of us screwed around awhile in grad school, thus taking even more tests . . . :D How is San Dog?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
From what I understood from the original message.

All new commissionee's will be USN with all current USNR officers being augmented by may '06. So fly, until you hear otherwise, I would say May '06

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/69D4F3ED-57FB-4968-AD0C-638EF9CD35A6/0/nav05041.txt
Looks like it is May 06, but I've already changed my nametag to reflect the augmentation. The new Os are being commissioned as USN as of May 05.

RAAUZYUW RUEWMCS0000 0622152-UUUU--RUCRNAD.
ZNR UUUUU
R 032152Z MAR 05
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
TO NAVADMIN
BT
UNCLAS //N01200//
NAVADMIN 041/05
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/MAR//
SUBJ/ANNOUNCING THE TRANSITION OF THE ACTIVE DUTY LIST NAVY OFFICER CORPS TO AN ALL REGULAR FORCE//
GENTEXT/REMARKS/1. THE RONALD W. REAGAN NATIONAL DEFENSE
AUTHORIZATION ACT FOR FY-05 PROVIDES SEVERAL CHANGES TO LAWS THAT GOVERN THE INITIAL APPOINTMENT AND STATUS OF ACTIVE DUTY LIST NAVAL OFFICERS. ONE OF THESE CHANGES DIRECTS THAT ALL INITIAL ACCESSIONS TO THE ACTIVE DUTY LIST BE COMMISSIONED AS REGULAR OFFICERS (UNITED STATES NAVY) REGARDLESS OF THE COMMISSIONING SOURCE (UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY, RESERVE OFFICER TRAINING CORPS, AND OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL) BEGINNING 1 MAY 2005. THIS CHANGE IN LAW ELIMINATES THE REQUIREMENT FOR FUTURE AUGMENTATION SELECTION BOARDS. RE-DESIGNATION BOARDS TO CONSIDER OFFICERS SEEKING TO CHANGE COMPETITIVE CATEGORIES WILL CONTINUE TO BE HELD.
2. THE AUTHORIZATION ACT ALSO DIRECTS ALL RESERVE OFFICERS CURRENTLY ON THE ACTIVE DUTY LIST WHO MEET STATUTORY REQUIREMENTS TO BE TRANSITIONED TO REGULAR STATUS BY 1 MAY 2006. GUIDANCE FOR TRANSITION OF CURRENT ACTIVE DUTY LIST RESERVE OFFICERS WILL BE PROVIDED IN A FUTURE NAVADMIN.
3. AS WE CONTINUE TO MAKE CHANGES TO OFFICER PERSONNEL POLICY TO COMPLY WITH THIS STATUTE, INFORMATION WILL BE PROVIDED TO INFORM, ADDRESS SPECIFIC QUESTIONS, AND EASE TRANSITION FOR AFFECTED OFFICERS.
4. POC: LCDR ROULSTON AT (703) 693-2313/DSN 223 OR E-MAIL AT
THOMAS.ROULSTON@NAVY.MIL.
5. RELEASED BY VADM G. L. HOEWING, N1.//
BT
NNNN