• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Conditional Release

Nathant09

I'm curious to know has anyone on here gone through a conditional release from the Navy Reserve to Active Duty Navy. Any information would be greatly appreciated. How long was the process? Did you have to change your rate if overmanned? How long after the approval did you have to assume your active duty obligations, etc?

Thanks in advance!!

BleedGreen

pilot
I did about a year ago now but basically you have to request a conditional release (DD 368) through the manpower dept at your local NOSC. Before submitting the reuest they will need a signed letter from your unit CO stating he is willing to let you go. They should then send it to Millington TN for approval, which if I remember correctly took 1-2 weeks to get it back.

Nathant09

I did about a year ago now but basically you have to request a conditional release (DD 368) through the manpower dept at your local NOSC. Before submitting the reuest they will need a signed letter from your unit CO stating he is willing to let you go. They should then send it to Millington TN for approval, which if I remember correctly took 1-2 weeks to get it back.

Thanks for the reply. That infor helped alot. I'm sending in my form today and hopefully I hear back soon.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I may be misunderstanding your question, but the SELRES that I had apply to go onto active duty also had to be applying into a specific Rate. So to answer your question about an overmanned Rate, the Navy won't even let you try.

There's usually a message/email that comes out every couple of months about current open ratings for a transition. It's probably somewhere on the Private Reserve website and/or your NC may have it.

Nathant09

Glad I could help, did you have the your CO's endorsement to send with it?

I took the form to the NOSC career counselor and he said he would forward it to the CO to sign. He said it shouldn't be a problem cause everyone has gotten approval thus far

Nathant09

I may be misunderstanding your question, but the SELRES that I had apply to go onto active duty also had to be applying into a specific Rate. So to answer your question about an overmanned Rate, the Navy won't even let you try.

There's usually a message/email that comes out every couple of months about current open ratings for a transition. It's probably somewhere on the Private Reserve website and/or your NC may have it.

Thanks for the info.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I took the form to the NOSC career counselor and he said he would forward it to the CO to sign. He said it shouldn't be a problem cause everyone has gotten approval thus far

It's your career - don't just trust that someone else will get it done, follow up! Nobody cares more about your career than you do!

BleedGreen

pilot
Your NOSC CO shouldn't have to sign it, that authority has to come from Millington. A lot of Reservists get hung up with their conditional releases for this very reason. Your DD 368 and unit CO's endorsement has to be forwarded to Millington for the signatures.

AE2ENSIGN

I'm curious to know has anyone on here gone through a conditional release from the Navy Reserve to Active Duty Navy. Any information would be greatly appreciated. How long was the process? Did you have to change your rate if overmanned? How long after the approval did you have to assume your active duty obligations, etc?

Thanks in advance!!
Hey, I just went through this process two weeks ago myself. Although I was using the form to apply for OCS. What I did was I took the DD 368 to the NOSC along with a CO recommendation letter and dropped it off with them. The NOSC CO will approve it, and then it will be sent to PERS in Millington, Tennessee. Once it is approved, your NOSC will send you an email with the approved DD-368. From what I heard, most of the time they get approved, but, it helps to send a DD 368 with a recommendation letter from your CO. The total time of the process to receive the form was 2 weeks for me.

exNavyOffRec

Your NOSC CO shouldn't have to sign it, that authority has to come from Millington. A lot of Reservists get hung up with their conditional releases for this very reason. Your DD 368 and unit CO's endorsement has to be forwarded to Millington for the signatures.

Yep, I saw several DD368's get sent back because the CO signed it then sent it to PERS.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm guessing what you guys are seeing is this:

Unit CO provides the RECOMMENDATION.
NOSC CO provides the ENDORSEMENT.
PERS provides the APPROVAL.

For a NOSC based unit (vice an independent hardware unit), that's the normal routing progression for personnel stuff.

Nathant09

Thank you all. I did get the form emailed back and it was approved. I will be taking the ASTB test again and submit a package to hopefully get commissioned as an officer. I didn't score to well the first time. My ultimate goal is to become an officer in the Navy. If the OSC route doesn't work this go round, I will enlist and work hard to become an officer in the future. Again, thank you all for the feedback.

Nathant09

Have you
Hey, I just went through this process two weeks ago myself. Although I was using the form to apply for OCS. What I did was I took the DD 368 to the NOSC along with a CO recommendation letter and dropped it off with them. The NOSC CO will approve it, and then it will be sent to PERS in Millington, Tennessee. Once it is approved, your NOSC will send you an email with the approved DD-368. From what I heard, most of the time they get approved, but, it helps to send a DD 368 with a recommendation letter from your CO. The total time of the process to receive the form was 2 weeks for me.

Have you started your OCS process? I'm interested in knowing if you've taken the ASTB test already?