• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

concealed carry question

bjalongi

Hi, this is my first post. I have five years prior service and I'm applying for BDCP.

What are the rules regarding legal concealed carry? I'd like to know if I'll still be able to excercise my consitutional right to legally carry a handgun while I'm enlisted and in BDCP. I'm not a fanatic, I usually only carry when I go out in town at night with my wife and children.

I've known other enlisted people who carry legally, but I was never sure if they were really allowed to, or not.

Thanks.:)

k_smittay

I've known other enlisted people who carry legally, but I was never sure if they were really allowed to, or not.

Thanks.:)

I believe you can do whatever the state laws allow you to do. I am from arizona, and when I return home.. I carry in my vehicle. No questions asked. Virginia has the same policy as arizona as well. Just cant forget you are carrying and travel onto a base.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The fact that you're enlisted or officer in the military doesn't give you some special privilege to carry a firearm at all times.

I have my concealed permit, and I had to apply the same as every other civilian. The only perk that I had for being in the Navy was the state of Florida recognized my military service as proof of firearms training. The application process other than that was the exact same.

I'd recommend www.usacarry.com to get specifics on the state you're in to get a license. I'd also look up your state's website on the laws, as it's usually the most up to date.

Ralph

So there is no real point to getting one in California since they only allow it in unicorporated areas, I'm confused?

bjalongi

I should clarify this statement:

I've known enlisted members who had their WA state concealed pistol liscence who carried a concealed weapon off base. However, I was never sure if they were breaking any rules set forth by the Navy. What I'd like to verify is whether or not there is a navy regulation that supercedes the civilian laws regarding military members carrying legally (liscenced and within state laws).

Sorry if my first post wasn't clear enough.

k_smittay

I should clarify this statement:

I've known enlisted members who had their WA state concealed pistol license who carried a concealed weapon off base. However, I was never sure if they were breaking any rules set forth by the Navy. What I'd like to verify is whether or not there is a navy regulation that supercedes the civilian laws regarding military members carrying legally (liscenced and within state laws).

No.