• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Computer Scientist working in Research/Development Navy Reserve Officer options

Hair Warrior

Contributor

exNavyOffRec

Affirmative, new direct commission officers in certain cyber fields are now commissioning above ENS. Theoretically, the Navy can now commission non prior service applicants at up to O-6 for niche cyber warfare community roles, but to date the most they've been doing is O-2 for IP 1825 with constructive entry credit. It's the same mechanism they use for bringing in reserve doctors, dentists, nurses, and chaplains at ranks above ENS.
It is funny how the USN will say they can commission up to O-6 but rarely if ever do, I saw a Doctor who was in some specialized field that NRC was tripping over themselves to get in and the best they would do for the guy with decades of experience was O-5

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It is funny how the USN will say they can commission up to O-6 but rarely if ever do, I saw a Doctor who was in some specialized field that NRC was tripping over themselves to get in and the best they would do for the guy with decades of experience was O-5
Yeah, as I have stated before on this forum, they’re only gonna do it for cyber for World War III. The first director of DIA was an FBI guy that commissioned as an Air Force reservist at O-6 and got his first star soon after. There was also a GM executive during WW2 who got commissioned as an Army 3-star general to run the defense industrial base.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
As you have spent several years in SEO research and learning to gain a bit of flight, I usually go to the forums for greater understanding, however I think I'm still crude or more or less is what I think.
Ho away spammer.

Kicking up an old thread, but I wanted to provide an update.

After going through two IWC board interviews, two separate medical qualifications (had to redo the one I did at PAX at Walter Reed because another applicant decided to lie on their forms causing PAX to stop doing med quals.), and tons of waiting...

I was finally selected for a commission last week!

I will be commissioning as a LTJG Information Professional Officer with NIFR Washington DC.

I know this thread died a while ago, but I wanted to thank you all for the advice and information you all offered. It was very helpful!
I know this is an ancient thread, but I've been looking for people with experience regarding Constructive Entry Credit.

I'm applying for both the CW/IP Designators through the DCO program.

I currently have a BS and MS in Computer Science (3.5 GPA) and Security+ Certification, and I work as an ISSM for a software integration team as a GS-13 for the US Army.
I am also currently drilling as a CTT1(SW) SELRES. I did four years of active duty and have been in the reserves for four years, a total of 8 years of service.

They still do Constructive Entry Credit for CW/IP Designators from the program authorization.
CW PA: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Career/OCM/PA-208C_CW_Reserve_Apr-2020.pdf
IP PA: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Career/OCM/PA-208D_IP_Reserve_Sep-2020.pdf

Did you have to request consideration for constructive entry credit? Or is it done automatically when your package is reviewed?

My recruiter and their team aren't familiar with Constructive Entry Credit, and I want to ensure I'm doing my due diligence to be considered with my application.

I believe your recruiter + you will provide the worksheet but it’s up to the board to make the final decision.
It makes sense; they seem convinced it's only for Doctors and Lawyers...I showed them the PA and was told they would ask if it was even worth entertaining... I just want to make sure I do my part to at least be considered for some credit if I qualify for it.

exNavyOffRec

It makes sense; they seem convinced it's only for Doctors and Lawyers...I showed them the PA and was told they would ask if it was even worth entertaining... I just want to make sure I do my part to at least be considered for some credit if I qualify for it.
It essentially only used to be for Doctors and Lawyers, and even though it is on the PA it appears to rarely be approved by the board.

It does sound like you are doing what you should be doing by showing them the PA and getting them to ask. There may be further guidance the community has as to who they will give this to.

Puzzlehead

I know this is an ancient thread, but I've been looking for people with experience regarding Constructive Entry Credit.

I'm applying for both the CW/IP Designators through the DCO program.

I currently have a BS and MS in Computer Science (3.5 GPA) and Security+ Certification, and I work as an ISSM for a software integration team as a GS-13 for the US Army.
I am also currently drilling as a CTT1(SW) SELRES. I did four years of active duty and have been in the reserves for four years, a total of 8 years of service.

They still do Constructive Entry Credit for CW/IP Designators from the program authorization.
CW PA: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Career/OCM/PA-208C_CW_Reserve_Apr-2020.pdf
IP PA: https://www.mynavyhr.navy.mil/Portals/55/Career/OCM/PA-208D_IP_Reserve_Sep-2020.pdf

Did you have to request consideration for constructive entry credit? Or is it done automatically when your package is reviewed?

My recruiter and their team aren't familiar with Constructive Entry Credit, and I want to ensure I'm doing my due diligence to be considered with my application.
@optimuspontes were you able to gather more info on this or specify it in your application package somewhere?
I am in the same boat as you. PhD in Applied Physics and decade of professional experience in Data Science community doing signals analysis.
Looking at DCO options in the Navy IWC (CW/IP ) and also other branches. Want to know if they give constructive entry credit for someone with advanced education and relevant professional experience.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
@optimuspontes were you able to gather more info on this or specify it in your application package somewhere?
I am in the same boat as you. PhD in Applied Physics and decade of professional experience in Data Science community doing signals analysis.
Looking at DCO options in the Navy IWC (CW/IP ) and also other branches. Want to know if they give constructive entry credit for someone with advanced education and relevant professional experience.
I'm in a similar situation on the eve of the August/Sept IWC DCO 1815/25 board. I am getting clarity as we speak from my OR. The worksheet was previously shared but it appeared to be an infomercial type document than one with traceability features. I'll certainly share once I surface the goal posts, if applicable.

number9

Contributor
We have a post-doc data scientist in my unit.. he's an 1835 and came in as an ENS. Maybe it's different for CW/IP?

I'm in a similar situation on the eve of the August/Sept IWC DCO 1815/25 board. I am getting clarity as we speak from my OR. The worksheet was previously shared but it appeared to be an infomercial type document than one with traceability features. I'll certainly share once I surface the goal posts, if applicable.
Sir, did you get any constructive credit?

I’m being commissioned in the next week as an ENS. I was generously given a year of credit.
Wao. Many said a Masters degree gives you O2. Any cert or experience? I am a PhD candidate with couple certs and few year of experience. I am one of the 1815. An prior active and reserves