• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Computer Science and Aviation

Chris94

CWO selected
Based on the fact that everyone on here is some sort of aviation enthusiast, I have a question.
While I know that flying a plane doesn't have a lot to do with computer science but I do plan on majoring in computer science. And even while I scoured the web I can't find any relation (in terms of future jobs) with computer science and the aviation industry. Is there any place that a degree (possibly graduate degree in the future) in computer science could lead to a job in the aviation industry? Perhaps in developing avionics?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Chris,

In short, yes, you can get into the aviation industry with a CS degree. It depends on what you want to do. M degree is in Computer Science, and I started life in the Navy as an NFO.

If you want to fly, it doesn't matter your degree. I went through API with a Marine who's degree is in Elementary Education, and was inthe squadron with a pilot who's major is kenisiology (sp?).

If you want to break into the industry in a non-flying capacity, keep this in mind: Right now, with the complexity of aircraft, manned and unmanned, there is a heavy reliance on computers. Autopilot systems, flight control systems, weapons systems, ATC systems, etc. All of them need to be designed, programmed and networked, and for those that are connected to the internet, secured. Enter those with computer science, computer engineering, IT, and programming backgrounds. Case and point, one of my CS prof at Ye Merry Olde Boat School and her husband wrote a chunk of the A-10 avionics and weapons system code.

My advice to you is when picking a major, yes, consider what you want to do with it. However, I'll also say pick something that you'll enjoy and do well at.

Cheers,
Bubba

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
While I know that flying a plane doesn't have a lot to do with computer science but I do plan on majoring in computer science.
Dude, CS is 90% of the reason why the f-35 stays airborne, but also a good portion of the reason it gets grounded.

Deciding on majors comes down to 3 simple questions: do you want to turn the wrench, design the wrench or be the one buying the wrench? I wanted to buy the wrench and went business (accounting) and found it wasn't to crazy for me to double-major at my university and pick up an IS degree as well. As you work through college your eyes will open up to a gamut of things you had no clue about or perhaps didn't think you'd ever care about. It just so happened that my education in business and info systems combined powers and I landed a job with a aerospace contractor where they put me in a high exposure role to info systems and program management. I caught my break by networking with the right people, ie. the people who worked in the fields I was interested in not just spreading my resumes out. Get your foot in the door in a company that works in the industry you want to be a part of, even if it's a back of the house supporting role, and eventually you will find opportunities opening up. If you are CS major find a CS supporting role at an aerospace company and chances are when you hit the 2-3 year mark of your first job you can use the fact you 'worked in aerospace' as a heavy hitter on your resume.

just a baby ensign's .02

RiseR 25

Based on the fact that everyone on here is some sort of aviation enthusiast, I have a question.
While I know that flying a plane doesn't have a lot to do with computer science but I do plan on majoring in computer science. And even while I scoured the web I can't find any relation (in terms of future jobs) with computer science and the aviation industry. Is there any place that a degree (possibly graduate degree in the future) in computer science could lead to a job in the aviation industry? Perhaps in developing avionics?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Chris,

What do you ultimately want to do? Not to scare you off but some of the software/flight test engineers I've met who've worked defense projects have said FML. Are you looking for schools with NROTC programs right now?

Good Luck

Chris94

CWO selected
Chris,

What do you ultimately want to do? Not to scare you off but some of the software/flight test engineers I've met who've worked defense projects have said FML. Are you looking for schools with NROTC programs right now?

Good Luck

Chris94

CWO selected
Chris,

Good Luck
Currently I'm a 4/c MIDN in NYC's NROTC unit. I'll be transferring to the San Diego unit though because I actually live in Fresno, CA. The school I'm transferring to has a B.S. in Computer Science.
When posting this I was thinking pretty far ahead, pending I receive my commission (hopefully with a flight slot), for what I'd be able to do after that involved working for one of the big aerospace companies (Boeing, Lockheed, etc.).
I appreciate the reply though!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Currently I'm a 4/c MIDN in NYC's NROTC unit. I'll be transferring to the San Diego unit though because I actually live in Fresno, CA. The school I'm transferring to has a B.S. in Computer Science.
1. What is NYC NROTC, a New York City University?

2. What school in 'Sandy Eggo' are you transferring to? SDSU has top notch Engineering programs!
Just curious!;)
BzB

RiseR 25

When posting this I was thinking pretty far ahead, pending I receive my commission (hopefully with a flight slot), for what I'd be able to do after that involved working for one of the big aerospace companies (Boeing, Lockheed, etc.).
I appreciate the reply though!

Well come on down back to the Sun Coast man! You'll be fine man, you're thinking way more ahead than I did at your age.

Big aerospace is cool and all but I think you may be surprised at how slave labor driven it can get some times. But your choice man if it's what you want to do go for it!

If I could do it all over again I would have been a business major in the World's Greatest City according to Ron Burgundy, San DiAHgo!

I'm just giving you crap man you're well on your way.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

2. What school in 'Sandy Eggo' are you transferring to? SDSU has top notch Engineering programs!
Just curious!;)
BzB
BzB,
1. In NYC they have two NROTCs. SUNY (STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK) MARITIME COLLEGE in the Bronx and The Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point.

2. The San Diego NROTC Consortium consists of USD, SDSU and UCSD.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. In NYC they have two NROTCs. SUNY (STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK) MARITIME COLLEGE in the Bronx and The Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point.

USMMA doesn't have an NROTC unit, it has a Naval Science department. Not sure if they take cross-town folks, I would be surprised if they did.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I have a Computer Information Systems Degree as well as a Mathematics degree. The only thing I used either for while flying in the Navy was showing someone how to do something in Excel.

Having the CIS degree was invaluable when I got out of the Navy. It enabled me to get a great paying job within 6 months of getting out of the Navy. Now, flying for the Army National Guard, I have written a few small programs in my spare time to help with our flight planning. Army aircraft are incorporating computers more each day and CS knowledge can be very helpful.

If you have a knack for computers, especially programming and software architecture, you can't go wrong with a degree in that field. It can be rewarding to know people are using your computer solutions to improve their lives and jobs. For instance, if you pay your electric bill online in Jacksonville, I was a part of that, albeit many years ago.
Bottom line: You probably won't use your CS degree directly flying in the service. That is probably true for any degree. But a CS degree will make you much more resilient should you encounter government budget woes or health issues and your military flying career takes a stumble.

Chris94

CWO selected

Just curious!;)
BzB
I currently go to SUNY Maritime, which is the home school for the NROTC program. I figured going to a "boat school" would expose me to the Navy-like culture, I was wrong. But we're the only NROTC Unit in the area, which is why I said "NYC NROTC".

I'm currently waiting my decision on Point Loma Nazarene University. If after one year there I don't get the scholaarship I will be transferring to SDSU for financial reasons and still be in NROTC.

San Diego here I come! :D