• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Computer for TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

itoh

Is there any advantage to having a laptop at TBS? I am considering getting a laptop and maybe even a Panasonic toughbook if it'd be practical for TBS.
Also, are there any wi-fi or wireless inernet portals at TBS or in quantico?
Thanks for any help.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
Yes, it is a tremendous advantage to have a laptop at TBS. There is currently no high speed internet access at the TBS BOQ, but they are supposedly getting DSL "soon". You will need to dial up if you live on base as of now.

If you are a married brownbagger , you can get high speed cable like I did.

You will need to type out and print assigments from time to time. Also, you will find that a photocopier in addition to a printer comes in very handy-- so spend the extra money and get a printer with photocopying capabilities.

It would help to have a laptop with DVD capabilities, for the purposes of standing duty. You will have the opportunity to be the "duty" several times while at TBS, which means you will basically sit behind a desk staring at a phone all night while your buddies are getting sleep for the next training day. Those Lt's with laptops have a much better time on duty because they just sit in the office and watch movies all night, vice staring at a wall trying not to fall asleep.

I'm not familiar with the "toughbook", but I would guess that it is a laptop built to take a beating. You don't really need to worry about a computer built to take abuse, as you won't be taking it into the field while you are here. Of course, keep in mind that you may start taking your laptop with you in the future during your flight training or in the fleet... I can't speak on that obviously, I can just say that for TBS purposes you won't be taking your laptop anywhere too extreme.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
All VERY good points, especially the DVD option. Not to mention, you're limited on space (which a laptop doesn't take up too much). But, whatever option you go with, ensure it's gaming compatible, because you'll have LOTS of downtime and it'll help.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
I DIDN'T KNOW MARINES PLAYED GAMES!!! no really, i didn't!
bigeyes_125.gif

Jonathan Williamson

Thanks Taxman, I was wondering about what I should do with all that stuff...Guess my laptop will be useful afterall...can you actually take it to class with you or is its primary benefit just to have it handy?

Status
Not open for further replies.