• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wiz

I am gonna just complain for a few moments here. why does the air force so many good aircraft, such as the A-10, i think the Marines should have that not the air force. and the Pave Hawk as well, i dont know, if anyone else has any thoughts.

Valion310

I heard some time back the A-10 is going out and being replaced by the F-16. I'm no grunt, but I would much rather see the iron hog circling above my head than a fiber falcon. Maybe they can figure out a way to stick the gun from the A-10 on the 16. LOL ... wouldn't that be a sight for the AF jockies! Their sleek little sports car turned into a 4x4 ... [^]

Valion310 - "Remember Ryan, mosht thingsh in here don't react to well to bullets." - Sean Connery

cdv478

I've heard plans to reduce the number of A-10's in service as well. Rumors of A-10 retirement started before Desert Storm but after it proved it's effectiveness in that conflict those plans were postponed. I live in Tucson near Davis Monthan AFB which is an A-10 training base, and the AF's plan regarding the A-10 still seems to change frequently. Several months ago an article was published in the local paper stating that the Air Force intended to overhaul A-10 airframes to extend their service lives about 20 more years (I think A-10 airframes were originally designed to last approx. 5,000 hours and with the overhaul they will be good for 5,000 more). A couple weeks ago the story changed... an article discussing an eventual increase in noise from DM stated that the A-10's in Tucson are going to be replaced with F-35's in about 5 years. I'd welcome the additional noise from the JSF, but not the demise of the A-10. It seems like the A-10's abilities are forgotten until they come back with a few holes and a nice tank kill tally. The A-10 has been out of production since 1984 so the Marines have almost no chance of getting them, but I bet it'll be in the Air Force for quite a bit longer regardless of any rumors that pop up.

Hudson

The AF guys don't really like to get their hands dirty. It would make sence to me to give the A-10 to the Marines and the Army so they could do their own close air support. After all it is their own people out there. I know I will probably get a few people saying how we are all together out there. I will counter by saying unless you have been on the ground and trained as a ground pounder you really don't understand what it is like. Thinking of Marine TBS and the Army putting all warrent officers and Officers through basic training before OCS and WFO School. I think it gives you a feeling of urgency when a danger close call comes in for a strike. Just a thought.

psrogers

Intel Officer
I agree. I saw a Discovery Channel show on Army training, and the troops were using A-10's in close battle support. Those A-10 canons were really chewing targets up, and the Army commanders said that they just love having the A-10's around.
Quick question about the F-35 because I have never heard of it. Is the Air Force version of the JSF going to be the F-35? When does the F-22 start getting implemented by AF? Or is it already in use?

Mike26

Webb,
That picture of you in the cockpit looks like a KC135 cockpit, where was the picture taken?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Believe it or not but the Corps was offered ALL the Air Force A-10's at NO COST. The Corps spent almost a year debating the possibilities but finally decided to turn it down...Why, you ask? It is because the A-10 did not have a tailhook nor could it be retrofited for it. They decided to work on putting a tailhook on the OV-10. In fact, this program had a lot of success and they did Carrier qual OV-10's for the fleet. Unfortunately, thanks to the Gulf War, they felt the OV-10 was not survivable in modern warfare so two months after she CQ'd, the OV-10 died. We lost the A-10 and the OV-10 in one fail swoop. That's ok, we still have the F-18.....yea right! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Hudson

It seems that as slow as the A-10 goes they could kick the carrier in over drive and the warthog could almost do a v-stol landing on the deck.
Just kidding

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
I have to say the A-10 is one of the best built aircraft out there, I know because my grandfather built them and I got to see some of them coming off the line. But that was before republic aircraft went the way of the dinosaur...oh well. But the capability of that aircraft is unmatched by anything in the inventory now, simply because it is the only dedicated ground attack aircraft left. The Air Force does not like it because it does not have the glam quality of an F-22 but you still need the ugly planes to win wars.

Hudson

Yes, God bless the A-10 warthog, the OV-10 Bronko, and the OV-1 Mohawk. Truely ugly every one of them.

marti

You guys are forgetting a very important fact. The F/A 18 is the answer to everything. In fact, it is the greatest aircraft ever built. If it was up to me I would replace everything with the hornet.

can you hear the sarcasm?

Status
Not open for further replies.