• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Competitive Package?

itszeejlo

Itszeejlo
Hey guys,

I took the ASTB today. I scored a 49 6/7/6. I did not study much at all and it was my first time taking it. I am currently pondering the idea of taking it again, if it will make or break my chances of getting in. The Lieutenant that was administering the exam said my scores are above average.

Some more background about me:
I am currently majoring in Systems Engineering with minors in Aerospace Engineering and Naval Science at the University of Arizona. Expecting to graduate May 2016. I have a 3.10 GPA (still trying to get it up as much as possible). Involved with many extracurriculars around campus such as Theta Tau (professional engineering fraternity), International Council of Systems Engineers, intramural sports (basketball, soccer, and water polo; captain every semester). I have lots of relevant work experience: Internship with BAE Systems, Technical Consultant for the IT department on campus, and worked as an undergraduate research student for a Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Rocket Lab. Currently seeking leadership programs to help improve that area of my package.

I am trying to submit my package in October 2015. Applying for SNA.

I want to get your guys opinions on the strength of my package. Thanks!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Engineering +
GPA =
Extras ++
ASTB =

If you are applying to OCS, I'd recommend that you re-take the test. You will end up doing better because you now know what the test is like and you have an idea what areas you need to study a bit harder on.

itszeejlo

Itszeejlo
@ea6bflyr sounds good, I can't take it until May, so I'm going to brush up until then. I finished the math portion before the time expired but the reading and mechanical i ran out of time on. Also, what would you consider is an "minimum" for the ASTB?

milfordguy

Hey Jordan,

Looks like a pretty impressive resume. I'm scheduled to take the exam here in about a week.

Anything jump out at you that you would suggest studying for other than normal things from the study guides and PDF's on other threads?

Thanks,
Reggie

itszeejlo

Itszeejlo
@milfordguy I only studied for two days prior to the exam. Try to go in with a fresh mind. I breezed through the math portion and ran out of time on the reading and mechanical parts. The reading in my opinion was the trickiest, even though from what I have heard, it hasn't changed from the previous one. The simulator is probably the most challenging portion of the test. You can't study for it really, you just have to learn as you go. If you can read the pdfs on how the six simulator parts ahead of time, it may make your life much easier.

Good Luck!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jordan, there's an entire thread dedicated to what is considered competitive for OCS. I'd shoot for 8s.