• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Competitive for SWO

zoeth

Over 9000
I have a similar question that was asked in a previous submission, I'm going for the SWO board in November.
I have a masters GPA of 3.125 (not to impressive)
Oar 45
As well as 5+ recommendations one from a prior SWO who was a CO, a president of a large pharmaceutical company, a congressman, a judge, two volunteer directors from reputable NGO's, a past coach, a church pastor, and awaiting one from a active duty Captain.
With all that and a strong person statement what would my chances be realistically since it was stated the community is backed up at the moment with applicants? I'm also currently active duty enlisted with less than 1 year of experience.
Too many LORS submit with only 2-3 (the ones who actually know you and can speak to you, not just the highest rank)
SWO is incredibly random with acceptances, some boards borderline single digit acceptance and others >50%.
SWO is not the only designator backed up right now, they all are and that includes great lakes.
Regardless, start studying, because BDOC,JOOD,ADOC all have increasingly high attrition rates.

epnavy19

Is there any word on the acceptance rate for upcoming board on August 17th and when the possible start date for the OCS class will be if selected?

n0rthstar

That's an insanely hard question to answer and I'm not sure anybody on this forum really can; the boards are a cavalcade of ambiguity and randomness, especially in the age of COVID.

Personally, given how astoundingly low the February board results were and the combining of the April and August boards, I'm anticipating similarly low selection rates. I'm also curious if, given that there will be so many applicants, there won't be some type of "slim down" procedure (ie: automatically dismiss anyone with an OAR below X, ProRec N for anyone with Y waiver, etc.). That is all pure conjecture, of course.

exNavyOffRec

That's an insanely hard question to answer and I'm not sure anybody on this forum really can; the boards are a cavalcade of ambiguity and randomness, especially in the age of COVID.

Personally, given how astoundingly low the February board results were and the combining of the April and August boards, I'm anticipating similarly low selection rates. I'm also curious if, given that there will be so many applicants, there won't be some type of "slim down" procedure (ie: automatically dismiss anyone with an OAR below X, ProRec N for anyone with Y waiver, etc.). That is all pure conjecture, of course.

They have done cuts in the past to reduce the number of applicants, not all designators do that, some of what they have done is what you have said, waivers and low GPA are generally the 2 ways they will cut.

n0rthstar

Are there any waivers that have historically been more likely to be used as a reduction measure? I have an age waiver for SWO.

epnavy19

Can you submit an updated transcript with a higher gpa this close to the board? Would it be a better idea to not, should I contact them and submit? Thanks.

epnavy19

Once the deadline has passed that is it.

I appreciate you getting back to me. I just got one more question to clarify things. I just finished speaking with contact at Navy Recruiting Command handling my packet. He said I can update however I would have to route through my Yeoman. My Yeoman is asking me how to do this because he is unfamiliar with the process. I was just going to submit update through Yeoman to same NRC N36 Contact. What would you advise? Thank you.

Chris

exNavyOffRec

I appreciate you getting back to me. I just got one more question to clarify things. I just finished speaking with contact at Navy Recruiting Command handling my packet. He said I can update however I would have to route through my Yeoman. My Yeoman is asking me how to do this because he is unfamiliar with the process. I was just going to submit update through Yeoman to same NRC N36 Contact. What would you advise? Thank you.

Chris
It would be the same way the application was sent in, however once the deadline has passed those applications are at the program manager, and after the deadline he could have them all ready to submit to the board at any time.

you can take a chance trying to send it, and some have been lucky, and then there are those PM's who will kick the application back to the NRC processor to add the info, then the PM sends the rest of the applications to the board members before the application is sent back to him so the application sits until the next board.

How much of a GPA difference are we talking?

epnavy19

I was worried about something like that. I’ve been to several colleges. This transcript is from Purdue, I’m completing my masters there. To date it would be the best school on my list, they used the gpa calculation worksheet to average out all my scores to a 2.58 right now. I have a 4.0 on this transcript, it’s online so I’m not sure how much it would bump up my average, or if it would be worth the chance.

exNavyOffRec

I was worried about something like that. I’ve been to several colleges. This transcript is from Purdue, I’m completing my masters there. To date it would be the best school on my list, they used the gpa calculation worksheet to average out all my scores to a 2.58 right now. I have a 4.0 on this transcript, it’s online so I’m not sure how much it would bump up my average, or if it would be worth the chance.

depends how many additional classes at the 4.0 level we are talking, and how many credits went into that 2.58 if it was just the minimum needed to get the degree then roughly every semester level 4.0 class would increase it almost .04 and every quarter level 4.0 class would increase it about .025

epnavy19

The education update submission with transcript from my masters program was accepted. I wanted to ask if you know when results are posted or you usually hear back about final selections for board scheduled for next Monday the 17th. I read it is 2-8 weeks, but is there an average? Thank you.

Respectfully,

Chris

exNavyOffRec

The education update submission with transcript from my masters program was accepted. I wanted to ask if you know when results are posted or you usually hear back about final selections for board scheduled for next Monday the 17th. I read it is 2-8 weeks, but is there an average? Thank you.

Respectfully,

Chris

very lucky, you must have caught them when they had a little bit less work and the applications hadn't already been sent to the board members.