• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Competitive ASTB scores for STA-21?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAR522

This question is directed towards those previously selected for the pilot option. What were your ASTB scores? I've heard that high scores are strongly favored in the selection process, but I've also heard you may be selected with the minimum scores. I took the new ASTB version (form 4) for the first time and received 4/5/5 43 OAR. I am debating on taking the retest because I feel I can do better, but I don't want to risk getting lower scores. The rest of my package is fairly strong, so I don't want these scores to ruin my chances of selection. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Has anybody else been in a similar dilemma?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I think there are a couple threads in this section buried that list a lot of the ASTB scores. I can't recall exactly what mine was but I think I had all 7's w/ an OAR in the 50's.

I'm really not certain how much they look at the ASTB in the STA-21 program. I can talk to some of my buddies that got pilot and see what they got as well.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Remember that it is a competition. The better your package, the more likely you'll be selected. If there is something that can give you the edge over someone else, then do it. With that said, remember that only your last score counts. SO, if you get a non passing grade, then you might not be able to apply. If you do decide to re-test, then study your A$$ off and take the test.

On a side note, our NROTC had a STA-21 guy that had barely passed the ASTB and he was a STA-21 (Pilot Option). Then again, he had 3 years of undergrad completed and he also had an impeccable service record.

Good luck!

ea6bflyr

STA21pilot

Also, if selected you will have to take the ASTB again once you are in college even if you are picked up for Pilot. Obviously you want to have the highest scores possible, but don't get too discouraged by feeling you need all 9's. Put forth the effort and take what you get, and make up any shortcomings elsewhere.

STA21Pilot

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
STA21pilot said:
Also, if selected you will have to take the ASTB again once you are in college even if you are picked up for Pilot.

STA21Pilot

Where did you get that info?

nateb

I knew it. I'm surrounded by a**holes!
Gotta love Navy instructions. According to paragraph 3.a.(1), applicants must complete the following, "Achieve a score of at least the following: Academic Qualification Rating (AQR) 3/PFR 4 on the Pilot Flight Aptitude Rating (PFAR) portions of the ASTB." So, you have to achieve a score of "3" or better on the AQR portion to even have your application considered for the Pilot Option. Since ASTB scores are good for life, if you report to the univesity as a Pilot Option STA-21 participant there is no reason to re-take the ASTB, you already have an AQR score of "3" or better. This makes that portion of the page 13 entry very pointless. Yes, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.