• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

competion to be an F18 or F14 pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllenAzali

I am a college senior and am looking to be a Naval Aviator. The 8 year obligation is keeping me busy in opportunity job research.
I have 20/20 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. My college gpa is about (2.3). Provided that I do well on the ASTB. What are my chances of getting the billet (job) as fighter pilot? In terms of competition once at AOCS and or flight school? What percent of total OCS candidates with an aviation option end up flying F18 or the F14? Is it different in the Marines?

shooter27

Allen
You do not get a jet slot in the beginning. First you apply and get a pilot slot. The number of pilots in OCS varies, when I went through, my class had a large amount of aviators. After OCS, you have to complete API and primary. At the end of primary, depending on your NSS (Navy Standardized Scoring), the number of jet slots that week, and the NSS of the other SNA's that want jets; you find out what you selected. The number of jet slots vary from week to week, but tends to be better in the beginning of the fiscal year. Well, I hope this answers your question, don't ask me about the NSS because I can't figure out how it works.

vicki

Shooter,

How accurate is the gouge about "more slots at the beginning of the fiscal year"? Just curious because I heard that for this year jet slots were pretty bleak for Jan-Apr (like 7-10), but then became more like 15-22 for June, July and August. My source is fairly reliable, but unofficial so I was wondering if your source was official channels or not. Thanks.

shooter27

Vicki
The gouge I have is just what I've seen during primary and from the IP's I've talked to. It's not official, but what I noticed last September, it seems accurate. But you're right, it is just gouge. "Live by the gouge, die by the gouge." However, just because it's the end of the physical year doesn't mean there are no jet slots. That's not what I meant. I just heard that if all the slots have already been issued, you may be out of luck. At the end of last year, the Navy and Marine Corps still had slots, however the Air Force did not.

wali

I have a question concerning the primary pilot training. I am a pilot candidate with the BDCP program. I was wondering how does one enter primary pilot training with the Air Force while still being a SNA. I am at Valdosta State University and at Moody AFB nearby (an AETC base), some student aviators just completed their first Solo flights in the T-6A Texan II. Among these students were 2 SNA's. I am wondering how do you enter Primary through the Air Force while still being with the Navy. Also, is does the Navy participate in the ENJJPT (Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training) program like the Air Force? About two years ago, one of my friend got accepted in this program with the Air Force ROTC. He is now training in Eagles at Tyndall AFB.
Sincerely;
Ali

Status
Not open for further replies.