• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Communication during OCS

dmcminn09

I have a wife and two kids and was wondering if there will be time to send/receive mail while at OCS. I am active duty and I remember in boot camp we had Sunday's to write/read mail. Just wondering if it was similar at OCS. I obviously know they aren't allowed to send me contraband, but I may not get my thin ribbons before I leave so the wife may be sending me those as well.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have a wife and two kids and was wondering if there will be time to send/receive mail while at OCS. I am active duty and I remember in boot camp we had Sunday's to write/read mail. Just wondering if it was similar at OCS. I obviously know they aren't allowed to send me contraband, but I may not get my thin ribbons before I leave so the wife may be sending me those as well.

Welcome to AWs! If you search around the forums in particular the "STUPID QUESTIONS ABOUT OCS" thread you can find your answer and many more. Since you have a spouse she is more than welcome to join and participate in the spouses thread on AWs. Also, assuming you two have Facebook you can find the OCS and OCS class FB pages.

ehoney

Not in Kansas anymore
From what I've read, you'll need to bring some prepaid phone cards to use while at OCS. Sundays after the first few weeks is usually when you're given time to use the phone.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
You can have plenty of time to write letters, or you can have hardly anytime at all, depending on how you handle stress. But yes, you can send out letters at all. You can receive packages as well, but have to be opened in front of class team.

Write down important emails and bring them with you, you will have access to a computer after week 3. They will create a training email for you, and you can't access your personal email account at all though so just make sure you have the emails of people you want to write to. Otherwise, you can always send/receive mail, no matter what the DIs tell you. You will always have to open everything but letters in front of someone in your class team (go for your Chief!).