• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Common jobs after leaving military

Status
Not open for further replies.

theduke

Is being an NFO beneficial in any way above and beyond the credentials that any military officer has when it comes time to transfer to the Civ Div?

I don't really have any idea what i want to do after i get out. i'd always planned on being a pilot, being a test pilot (and maybe a FAC), retiring after 20 years, and then going to law school and going into politics. i know that i'm thinking 6 years down the road, but having absolutely no idea what i want to do with myself is something that i've never dealt with, and it makes me pretty uneasy (i've wanted to be a military pilot since i was in elementary school, and wanted to go into politics since late highschool/early college).

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
We're [over]qualified to clean up behind children... Could always work in a day care somewhere...

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You could easily work in the defense industry - for like a Boeing or Northrup-Grumman. Your air systems and operational experience will be extremely marketable.

Basically as a former Naval Officer - and NFO/Aviator youl will be surprised at how much in demand your skills will be as a CIV - don't sweat it.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
here and I thought NFO stood for "No Future Outside"

joking, of course.

we actually had a great "career symposium" a few months back where we learned exactly how much in demand military officers are - regardless of your job. Officers do very well in upper middle management and upper management positions (if they were good officers, turds are still turds). Several of the NFO's who came and talked to us (all but one were also in the reserves) had jobs at defense contractors and a other high tech fields. One thing about navy officers is that you do a huge variety of tasks; flying is merely a side job (and an often too small one if you ask me).

You may not be an airline pilot when you get out as an NFO (though some do go that route, i don't know exactly how they go about it) but you can get a good job that pays well. Interestingly enough, those who get out at 10 years to 15 years typically make less than they did on active duty. If you stay to 20 years, you will still take a slight cut in pay (usually) but you often you can get a very good job that will eventually pay quite a bit more than uncle sam forks out.

Any way you slice it, being an officer is a great thing to have on your resume - so long as it isn't accompanied by a dishonorable discharge, or something like that. NFO's are just as much officers as we stick monkeys.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have run into many former NFOs working for the military industrial complex. They run ehte big war game simulations for companies like Titan and the like. When they do MEFEXs or UFLs there are quite a few running around and I think they make pretty good money. Most are retired after 20 with lots of credibility not the 6 years and out guys for the most part.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could dig working for the M-I Complex after 20 years (if I were so lucky to attain 20, if I decide to shoot for it)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I could dig working ....
... that's what I thought, too. I learned early on I was really good at only two things: Digging and the other one on the right ... I chose the one on the right ...

moahwkjimpick.jpg
747waker.jpg

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is the problem? Your ultimate goal was to go to law school and get into politics. So you aren't qualified to do that as a NFO vs a pilot? If your problem is how you are going to spend the next 6 years, and I know that it is, then lets deal with that. If you want to someday go the law school and be a congressional staffer or get into elective politics, you can go that route various ways, even NFO.

KBayDog

A4sForever said:
... that's what I thought, too. I learned early on I was really good at only two things: Digging and the other one on the right ... I chose the one on the right ...

moahwkjimpick.jpg
747waker.jpg

Ahhh...so THAT'S where Hawaiian rainbows come from. Thanks, A4s!

theduke

^man, that's a cool picture.

What is the problem? Your ultimate goal was to go to law school and get into politics. So you aren't qualified to do that as a NFO vs a pilot? If your problem is how you are going to spend the next 6 years, and I know that it is, then lets deal with that. If you want to someday go the law school and be a congressional staffer or get into elective politics, you can go that route various ways, even NFO.

i would like to get into politics someday...although retiring as a Col would prob be a much bigger boost than getting out as a Capt after my obligation (which is what i plan on doing right now, unless i switch to pilot somehow).

don't get me wrong, i don't regret joining the Marines. i'd gladly do it all over again, even knowing for absolute certain that i would never be a pilot. i just have no intentions of sticking around past my obligation if i'm not in the job i really want to be doing. There are lots of great things and lots of drawbacks to being in the military, and I don't plan on dealing with the drawbacks for a career unless I'm right where I want to be.

basically, my concern is more "what exactly am I gonna do between the time i get out of the military and the time i try to run for office? (if i ever try to run for office...i don't really know what i'd use as my stepping stone to Washington if i don't make a career out of the military--which, by the way, has nothing to do with why i joined the Marines). right now, i'm just wondering if all the aspirations to greatness are gonna be fulfilled, or if i'll end up going home to NC in a few years and getting some mundane job just like everybody else.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As to satisfaction in your MOS. Simply stay open minded. You have already decided that you won't stay for a career if you can not be a pilot. Well I have some news for you. You don't really know what it is like being a Marine pilot or a NFO. The reality in the diffrence between the two in lifestyle and career opportunities is just about zero. If you keep an open mind you may very well find that NFO or even Arty is more than challenging and rewarding to warrrent a 20 year career. You simply don't know so why get your panties in a bunch. Just keep putting one boot in front of the other until the day comes you either can not stand the USMC or a better deal simply comes along. And as far as I have observed in the guys I have seen get out of the military and go into politics, you are probably better getting out something short of a 20 year career, gettiing that grad degree and going to work for a congressional staff or become a researcher for a think tank or beltway consultant. Then use that as a spring board to elective politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.