• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commodore's List / ISO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrunbel

pilot
Could someone explain what the Commodore's List is all about. Also, is the ISO program available to Marines who are waiting to classup? If so, does the 6 months spent in the ISO program extend your initial obligation? What are the pros and cons?

Rainman

pilot
Commodore's List for Primary combines your API score and primary academics and flight grades. If you equal a certain NSS you make Commodore's List. If you make some other grade you can have Commodore's List with Distinction. This is the only thing API grades are used for. They don't count for selection.

Don't have anything on ISO.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Patmack18 said:
Yes API does too count for selection

No it doesn't
Nowhere on our final NSS calculation sheets was API even mentioned. Even GS in primary doesn't count. If you work through the math to figure the PAS, you'll see that nowhere does API or GS factor in. Don't believe the hype, API don't count fo' ****. It may matter for Commo's List, but it doesn't come into play at all for NSS calculation or selection.

I'm trying to find the PDF on CNATRA's site that shows the exact math for calculating NSS's. I saw it a while back and even it shows that API plays no part. If I can find it again, I'll post the link.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
When I selected (old syllabus), API counted for 0.0% of your NSS. Maybe it has changed now. I remember being told by our GS instructor that our Primary GS grades would not be calculated in our NSS. Our GS grades would only be looked at if we failed a check ride and the board was trying to determine if the stud should be allowed to stay in the program.

However, the new syllabus is supposed to mirror AF Flight School. The AF does count Phase I (their version of API) for their final selection. So I can see how API does count for your final NSS now.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I was JPPT at Corpus 2 months ago. When they handed us our NSS breakdown page, nowhere on it was API even mentioned. The only spot ground school was mentioned was Academics, and even that was listed next to a "0% or x0" or something. So, atleast for my selection class, and friends about 3-5 classes back, it didn't count for anything. I have no clue where that breakdown sheet is right now, but if I find it, I'll scan it or something.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was MPTS in Primary, but it may be the "old" system by now. I was only in the mid-range when it came to academics at API but my scores for Primary was something like a 62 for academics. I made Commodore's list (with distinction). Therefore if API counted, it was an incredibly small amount. And by the way, I haven't figured the slightest what advantage getting commodore's list would be. I suppose it's something to hang on the "I love me" wall.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Pat and others headed to Jet Land:

Please dont make the mistakes alot of new guys make when you show up here. Nobody cares what your NSS was out of Primary or anywhere else for that matter. Some guys that show up here talking that smack aren't thought of very well. If you made it to the jet pipeline then you made it. Also no matter how good you think you are there is always somebody better. ME. Just kidding. Prior flight time in the civilian world doesnt mean jack in this jet. That is unless you have some hours in a T-45c from some where. Just be happy that you are going to be a tac air guy. Remeber when you get here its just like going anywhere else new. Yep, you got it. Your the FNG. Please dont take this that I'm picking on you or giving you ****. I'm just trying to make it easier on you when you get here. There are alot of really good guys here in Meridian and they all worked hard to get here. Remeber that and you'll do fine. It will also get you a long way with getting help from people ahead of you. Don't alienate anyone. You never know when they might have some knowledge to help you out.

Dave

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My roommate in Kingsville talked more s*** than anyone else I know. That was from the very getgo there. It definitely drove me to do well hearing him spat his mouth off so much. The thing is, he did very well. I don't know if he alienated himself or not, but it seems that his confidence in his ability helped him be the best guy I saw in Kingsville. Just be yourself and don't worry about what others think. I'm not disagreeing with EODDave on this one. My roommate was a rare case. He didn't need help from any other.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Everybody talks smack. Thats not what I'm getting at. Its the whole NSS thing. Once you get here it doesnt matter. Confidence is a must here. There are some good sticks here with no confidence and its holding them back. I'm just saying it makes one look like an moron when they get here and start talking NSS smack. Nobody cares here. If you want to talk smack on ACM, Weps, ball flying or whatever then bring it. That type of talk is what its about.

Dave

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
EODDave said:
Pat and others headed to Jet Land:

Prior flight time in the civilian world doesnt mean jack in this jet. That is unless you have some hours in a T-45c from some where. Just be happy that you are going to be a tac air guy. Remeber when you get here its just like going anywhere else new. Yep, you got it. Your the FNG.
Dave

My experience checking in as the FNG went pretty well - there I was walking down the flight line in my Alphas waiting for one of those comments. In reality, people walked me around, and showed me where I needed to go. All the SNA’s and IP’s seem pretty chilled out and willing to help you anyway. Of course there are a couple of exceptions.

With the jet, the T-45c sim is a whole new ball game. Everything from the instrument scan, trim, climb rate slightly greater than 1500fpm, etc. is different. I thought they were joking about the transition to a digital cockpit, but it’s going to take more than a few practice sims to get this down. The prior time in primary would help a lot, but I really think everyone is on an equal playing field coming into the jet. Except maybe the T-2 guys.

kappu411

Naval Aviator
Pat mack,

congrats on the meridian selection!!!... looks like all of the bullsh!t paid off and you can get a shot at the 18... good luck... hats off to you

-Rizio

Status
Not open for further replies.