• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissioning soon... Should I buy a house?

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
Just finished my undergrad last month and plan to commission when I get back from PLC Sr in July. The question I have is I'm considering buying a house but not sure if I should. Here's the deal, I'm paying an ass load for rent and figure there has to be a better use for my money than pissing it away on something I'll never own. I have a wife and two little ones, and it would be nice to have a house to come to when were home for holidays and such. Also it would be nice to have an investment that appreciaties in value. I just wanted to get the opinion of guys that have been in the fleet and may know what it's like to own a home away from where they are stationed. Thanks!

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I would just wait until you get to a real squadron and will be based in the same place for a while. I'm not married, but I can understand having a "home away from where you are stationed" for TBS, API, Primary and Advanced, but it would make more sense to me to buy a house when your family can join you at your fleet duty station. I guess it could be a good investment, but it could always go the other way too.

phrogpilot73

I would say "no". As a 2ndLt, you make a decent day's wage - but you may end up overextending yourself by buying a house. When you start hitting your duty stations, rent will be pretty close to your BAH, and you're only going to be at certain duty stations for short periods of time. I would echo the comment that you should probably wait until you're at your first permanent duty station.

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
Well here's the deal, I already make pretty good money at my job now (auto tech) and my wife has her degree also. She works and plans to countiue working, so I don't think we would be over extended if we get something managable. I dont want anything too extravagent. Maybe only spend like 100-150k on a little 3bdrm just as a first home. I've also considered renting it out while were gone. My folks own and rent properties also so I figured they can act as land lords while were away. Does anyone else have any experience having a "home away from where they're stationed?"

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Just finished my undergrad last month and plan to commission when I get back from PLC Sr in July. The question I have is I'm considering buying a house but not sure if I should. Here's the deal, I'm paying an ass load for rent and figure there has to be a better use for my money than pissing it away on something I'll never own. I have a wife and two little ones, and it would be nice to have a house to come to when were home for holidays and such. Also it would be nice to have an investment that appreciaties in value. I just wanted to get the opinion of guys that have been in the fleet and may know what it's like to own a home away from where they are stationed. Thanks!

If I had some money that I was looking to invest, residential real estate would be no where near the top of my list, especially as a long-distance landlord (even if my parents were acting as property managers). Reasons 1 through 10 for buying a home are because you want a nice place to live that you can call your own.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also it would be nice to have an investment that appreciaties in value.
Like mine that's lost $75K in value over the last 2 years? And that's living in a relatively "recession proof" area. Just something to think about at least while you're in the military, but even better for longer than that is this. Try to keep your lifestyle from requiring both you and your wife to work. It's great if your wife also wants to work, but why put yourself in a position where she has to if you have the choice not to. Bottom line: you guys will be going through some pretty major lifestyle changes in the next few years without buying a house thrown in the mix. Take the time to get settled in your new career and then look at buying a home when you're at your first permanent duty station.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
Concur with the above. While in Quantico, our landlords were trying to sell their house and asked us if we wanted to buy it. We toyed with the idea, especially with the fact that there will always be a high TBS turnover. However, the more we thought about it, we really didn't want to buy until we got to our final station. Just remember that after each renter, you will need to go back and fix all the little stuff that broke or just needs touching up after each tenant. And remember that the average TBS student will only be there for about 7 months. I assume that a property manager will take care of that if you hire one, but if you are just making the rent cover the mortgage, it might be a little more out of your pocket for all the fixes and major repairs than you originally thought. I would say wait until you get to a fleet squadron and buy there (since even through flight school, you're looking at a high turnover rate as well), and rent it out if you ever PCS since the leases will be for a longer time. I have a friend that bought a house in Meridian and began renting it out after he PCS'd to the RAG, but I don't know how that's working for him now. PM me if you have any more questions, or want his contact info so you can talk to him yourself.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm considering buying a house but not sure if I should. Here's the deal, I'm paying an ass load for rent and figure there has to be a better use for my money than pissing it away on something I'll never own. I have a wife and two little ones, and it would be nice to have a house to come to when were home for holidays and such.

So that rules out renting it to cover the negative cashflow (unless you're planning to stay with your renters or ask them to leave town when you visit)? So you want to have a house sit costing you ~$700-1000 equating to as much as $12,000 a year just to have something to come home to on holidays? You could stay at a pretty nice hotel for a fraction of that!

Also it would be nice to have an investment that appreciaties in value. I just wanted to get the opinion of guys that have been in the fleet and may know what it's like to own a home away from where they are stationed. Thanks!

No news flash that economy ain't doing so good. Good news is you can likely great a great deal on a house, BUT bad news is most markets are flat or readjusting (downward) so you cannot count on the house appreciating in value anytime soon. You'll great a great opportunity to use your VA Loan, but I'd wait for a permanent duty station as you only get to use it once. Soo, you have the cash to put down to cover what the mortgage company won't cover (anywhere from 5-20%).

Well here's the deal, I already make pretty good money at my job now (auto tech) and my wife has her degree also. She works and plans to countiue working, so I don't think we would be over extended if we get something managable.

No news flash either that you won't be making that salary come June and once you move, she'll have no guarantee of a job so you better figure out whether you can cover the negative cash flow all on your O-1 salary alone.

I dont want anything too extravagent. Maybe only spend like 100-150k on a little 3bdrm just as a first home. I've also considered renting it out while were gone. My folks own and rent properties also so I figured they can act as land lords while were away. Does anyone else have any experience having a "home away from where they're stationed?"

So you are considering renting it out. OK, you need to figure out what homes are renting for versus your mortgage payment(s) and have enough reserve cash or credit to cover the worse scenarios of having to replace a furnace, central air unit, or appliances. Even if your folks are great at managing properties, turnover between tenants can be an issue if they don't take care of the house. I've had 5 tenants in my rental. One, a Navy O-6 no less, left the house as is and said to take it out of deposit which didn't even cover replacement costs of a garage door, outside door frame, wallpaper, carpeting, refrigerator door racks (child with anger management issues) or the month it took to completely deep clean everything. So you need cash reserve to take care of that AND pay mortgage when it isn't occupied. I've always had it rented before currents depart, but unless you keep in it great shape and upgrade it over years, you have to be ready to eat the mortagage payments. I'm sure your parents will tell you the same thing so what do they say?

Like the others have advised, I wouldn't commit to ANYTHING right now until your first permanent duty station that will put you in a location for 3 years or more. Save your VA for that and don't hurt your chances for a really nice piece of property then by having the other property reduce amount of financing you can obtain. Banks and mortgage companies look at worst case scenario on your debts and income so your salary will be OK because you're military, but she'll likely not have enough tenure in her job having moved. So even though you think you'll be fine, doesn't mean they do. If you really want to have a rental, get a decent property near your base and hold onto it when you transfer and repeat every time you rotate IF you can handle worse case cash flow.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And another thing. When you roll the dice like this with your finances, it makes the women folk nervous.

Brunes

pilot
Concur with waiting- My wife and I are both O-2s with a little one and we just really seriously shopped house in the New Orleans area- and seeing all the costs that popped up (Insurance, Taxes, Utilities, Maintenance) it didn't make sense. We would have been stretched VERY thin.
If you won't even be living there- It's not the "great investment" you are looking for...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Well here's the deal, I already make pretty good money at my job now (auto tech) and my wife has her degree also. She works and plans to countiue working, so I don't think we would be over extended if we get something managable. I dont want anything too extravagent. Maybe only spend like 100-150k on a little 3bdrm just as a first home. I've also considered renting it out while were gone. My folks own and rent properties also so I figured they can act as land lords while were away. Does anyone else have any experience having a "home away from where they're stationed?"

It sounds like you already made up your mind and you are looking for someone to validate your position.

You'll be moving at least 3 times in the next four years so where are you looking to buy a house? Pensacola? Corpus/Kingsville/Meridian? Your first duty station?

If you really want to buy a home for the investment, then I would recommend wait until your first duty station. You'll be there about 3 years so you'll be able to actaully build a bit of equity. Then if you elect to sell vice rent the house then capital gains taxes should not hit you you too badly (or at all). Remember, you're looking 3-5 years into the future, who know how the tax code will be modfied over the next few years.

jtmedli

pilot

I'm no financial advisor, but I'm with the guys who say wait until your first duty station. It just doesn't make sense to own a house you'll probably only live in for 6 months and then maybe never again. Renting it out is a possibility but nothing is guaranteed.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It sounds like you already made up your mind and you are looking for someone to validate your position.

You'll be moving at least 3 times in the next four years so where are you looking to buy a house? Pensacola? Corpus/Kingsville/Meridian? Your first duty station?

If you really want to buy a home for the investment, then I would recommend wait until your first duty station. You'll be there about 3 years so you'll be able to actaully build a bit of equity. Then if you elect to sell vice rent the house then capital gains taxes should not hit you you too badly (or at all). Remember, you're looking 3-5 years into the future, who know how the tax code will be modfied over the next few years.

I gotta jump on the bandwagon. I just got to my first duty station out of the TRACOM and we finally bought a house. 2 important things to remember: you'll be there for more than 8 months so you can actually make the house yours and enjoy it some/pay it down some, and you'll be making significantly more as an O-2 or O-2E than you do as an O-1...it's wayyyy easier to support a mortgage than it would have been as an Enswine.

Phrost_Bite

Future Flyboy
Yeah after reading all the replies, I think I'll just wait. It just pisses me off that I was talking to my cousin the other day and his mortgage is $200 less than what I'm renting for! Oh well. Thanks for all the wisdom everyone.