• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissioning Loans?

Malice 1

pilot
I took out the USAA 25K loan when I comissioned back in 05. It was great for paying off debt, but man.....

I'm abouut to pin on captain and I'm still paying on that damn loan! Don't take it unless you really need it. I'm still paying $440/mo and I have nothing to show for it.

MrsPickle

MIT- Manatee In Training
Contributor
Does anyone know what kind of credit one needs to get the loan? I have only heard of one person getting denied ever, but I'd like to not make it two.
Pickle and I have awful credit. It's the $120k in school loans and trying to pay off said loans on an E3 salary. Your chances are pretty good. They said they couldn't approve him right away, but they did approve him within 24 hours.

So... is USAA the best choice for the loan (thus, banking in general)?

I'm trying to figure this out ASAP before I have to give my OR my routing/account numbers for direct deposit.
We switched from Navy Federal to USAA. We LOVE USAA. You can call them about anything, 24 hours a day. We have our checking, savings (what little there is), car insurance (on the Picklemobile and POS f150) and our renters insurance. We have moved from JAX, to P-cola to Vance to Corpus to JAX (and soon to Whidbey) since Sept 2006. They've been total rockstars about the whole thing. One phone call, everything is changed. I highly recommend them!

pm me if you have any specific questions about them. I was seriously skeptical, but am a changed woman! :)

I took out the USAA 25K loan when I comissioned back in 05. It was great for paying off debt, but man.....

I'm abouut to pin on captain and I'm still paying on that damn loan! Don't take it unless you really need it. I'm still paying $440/mo and I have nothing to show for it.
Wait... what? You're putting on o6 in less than 5 years from comissioning? You're a rockstar.

I will agree, though. We paid off our suv at the time and Pickle bought a boat (worst investment EVER!). We paid off a bunch of other bills and pissed a bunch of it away. It's scary how fast you can go through 25k. We needed the money big and bad at the time, though. We were drowning in debt from OCS (and PSD royally screwing up our pay- you can't go to no dependants, just because you go to OCS! you can still be married!)

The moral of the story-
1) Whether you get the loan or not, go with USAA. They rock!
2) Take the loan, but remember that 5 years is a long time.
3) PSD sucks

fltlll

Pickle and I have awful credit. It's the $120k in school loans and trying to pay off said loans on an E3 salary. Your chances are pretty good. They said they couldn't approve him right away, but they did approve him within 24 hours.

We switched from Navy Federal to USAA. We LOVE USAA. You can call them about anything, 24 hours a day. We have our checking, savings (what little there is), car insurance (on the Picklemobile and POS f150) and our renters insurance. We have moved from JAX, to P-cola to Vance to Corpus to JAX (and soon to Whidbey) since Sept 2006. They've been total rockstars about the whole thing. One phone call, everything is changed. I highly recommend them!

pm me if you have any specific questions about them. I was seriously skeptical, but am a changed woman! :)

Wait... what? You're putting on o6 in less than 5 years from comissioning? You're a rockstar.

I will agree, though. We paid off our suv at the time and Pickle bought a boat (worst investment EVER!). We paid off a bunch of other bills and pissed a bunch of it away. It's scary how fast you can go through 25k. We needed the money big and bad at the time, though. We were drowning in debt from OCS (and PSD royally screwing up our pay- you can't go to no dependants, just because you go to OCS! you can still be married!)

The moral of the story-
3) PSD sucks

Thank you so much for the insight! Much appreciated :D

torpedo0126

if you are looking just to get a car with the USAA loan then don't. With the deals you can find now, you can probably get good car financing at 0.0% for awhile.

if you are taking the loan out to invest, this would be the time to do it. the market 'seems' to be hitting a bottom (at least according to 'experts). in order to profit from this, you will have to beat the new USAA interest rate AND inflation--entirely possible.

torpedo0126

SIDE NOTE: if any of you are coming in with credit card debt, remember there is some sort of mandatory program called something like the 'servicemember's civil relief act' that you should take advantage of.

basically, you let your credit card companies know you are active duty...you will have to prove it some how (fax military ID--remember to cover up your chip according to IA on NKO!!!) and your previously accrued interest on balances you had will be reduced to something like 6%.

my friend just went from owing something like $6000 to $800 because instead of owing 18% on debt, it was recalculated to ~6%.

Here is an overview (look at third paragraph): http://www.military.com/benefits/legal-matters/scra/overview

Ajleger

The moral of the story-
3) PSD sucks

PSD does suck. Ive been married for over 6 months, and my wife has been in the DEERS system since then, and despite countless emails and phone calls, I am still getting single BAH. And since I'm BDCP, there's really no place I can go to get it fixed (or if there is, I don't know of it). Can't complain too much considering the sweet deal I'm already getting, but it's important that it gets fixed before I go to OCS or my wife wont be getting the BAH while I'm gone.. And if it hasn't been fixed in 6 months, I don't have too high of hopes that it will be before August/September.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
PSD does suck. Ive been married for over 6 months, and my wife has been in the DEERS system since then, and despite countless emails and phone calls, I am still getting single BAH. And since I'm BDCP, there's really no place I can go to get it fixed (or if there is, I don't know of it). Can't complain too much considering the sweet deal I'm already getting, but it's important that it gets fixed before I go to OCS or my wife wont be getting the BAH while I'm gone.. And if it hasn't been fixed in 6 months, I don't have too high of hopes that it will be before August/September.

When I first got commissioned, I wasn't in the system as an O-1E. I went in 3 consecutive months complaining that the change hadn't been made. After four months of getting nowhere, I went into PSD and asked to speak directly to a Chief. Problem fixed. The backpay of getting shorted $700 a month was nice. :D So, next time you call them to attempt to fix the problem, I'd ask to speak to a Chief. They usually take care of problems.