• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commission in the Marine Corps

Rasczak

Marine
Evening gentleman. This question is directed at all USMC Officers on the board, especially the mustangs.

When I initially started my pursuit of a military career, I wanted to be an officer. Every decision I have made since has been to become an officer. I enlisted just recently. Before I enlisted though, I started question why I wanted to be an officer. I find myself in a bind now because I'm just not sure if I'd like the job. I see the way things are on the enlisted side, and I like what I see. So far. I've been trying to make a pro/con list to being commissioned and haven't been able to come up for much with the officer side because I just don't know. I'm with a detachment to our company within 1/23 and there aren't many officers with us.

I like the amount of leadership afforded to enlisted Marines, but what happens when you become an officer? What is the difference in leadership, or the way you lead, when you are a NCO/SNCO or an Officer?

I've had a few of my NCO's ask me why I want to be an officer and I can't really answer them anymore. Before it was, I wanted to be a pilot, if not that at least a leader.

Thanks in advance.

Semper Fi.

Clux4

Banned
1/23: I take it, you are in a Reserve Infantry Battalion.

Well, you will be responsible for those enlisted Marines so you will have more responsibility. You will be a mentor, a father, brother and everything else to them.

If you are still a PFC, I will say wait. You are probably less than a 18 months in the Marine Corps. Keep working towards being a good Marine(NCO) and continue to pursue the Officer route - PLC or whatever route you are taking. If after about 2 years you realize it is not for you, then you can always pull out of the commissioning program without any hitch. Stay in school and get good grades.
Stay out of trouble and be the BEST Marine you can be and things will work out.

The road ahead is long.
Keep Attacking!

Rasczak

Marine
That's the problem. I'm in my last year of school and I'm trying to figure out how it's going to work. We have a deployment coming up, in the near future and if I don't go (OCS) this year, it's going to be atleast 2-3 years before I can try again.

Yea, reserve infantry.

Clux4

Banned
The deployment might be a good way for you to decide what you want to do. You get to hang out around officers and see what they do on a daily. Talk to your Platoon Cmdr. and get his perspective. Go to a local OSO and talk to the PLC Jnr guys going back to Snrs. and get their take on things.
If you are this unsure, give it much thought. You will hate OCS and might get kicked out if you are not somewhat passionate about your reason for attending.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Why did you decide to enlist in the first place?

Were you honor man as your profile shows?

You probably really haven't totally seen the way thing work on the enlisted side yet. You'll get to see that when you deploy. You're probably shortsighted right now, as the Marine Corps has designed (you need to TRAIN right now), concerning whether you should be an officer or an enlisted man.

I like the amount of leadership afforded to enlisted Marines, but what happens when you become an officer? What is the difference in leadership, or the way you lead, when you are a NCO/SNCO or an Officer?

If you like the leadership afforded to enlisted Marines then you'll get a kick out of officer leadership. You're there to command and be the man who decides what happens. You're privvy to much more information and behind the curtain type stuff as well. You also have some of the best leadership training a taxpayer can buy in Marine officer training which you will not get as an enlisted man. Although Marine officers give it mixed reviews, I recommend "One Bullet Away" by Nate Fick to get some eyes on about the modern Marine officer. Also, get into the MCA and subscribe to The Gazette while its still cheap for you.

Honestly, my standard line here is that I loved being enlisted. I would recommend it to anybody, but under most circumstances if they want to try to make a career out of the Marine Corps and they can qualify for a commision, then do that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been trying to make a pro/con list to being commissioned and haven't been able to come up for much with the officer side because I just don't know.

Have you compared pay charts?

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Mike beat me to it, but what was your intention of enlisting in the first place?

Your profile says you went to Boot Camp and now you are just waiting to go to OCS. I am going to go on a limb and guess that you are a 92 day reservist and haven't been to SOI?

If that is the case, you are non-deployable as it is, and you are just going to hang out until you go to OCS. If not, then disregard.

You've already been to Boot, so that's in the past - but it seems kind of pointless to hit Boot Camp for an extra kick in the nuts when your primary intention is to go to OCS and receive a commission. I hope you aren't using Enlisted service as some sort of stepping stone for your career, the Marines around you don't deserve that.

Honestly, I think you should try to deploy with them (again, if you are a 92-day reservist this might be an issue), and you will probably know where you stand by the end of it. You have some time ahead of you to learn your job and find out what being a Marine is all about.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I went Reserve Infantry out of high school. I did 5 years in the Reserves while I obtained my degree, then commissioned out of college. After 5 years, I still had ZERO idea what being an officer was like. My unit (3/24 out of Springfield) had 1 officer and that was the CO. I saw him a few times and he went to the field with us, but I was just completely out of touch with what his job all about. I remember our Company Commander in Boot was a 1stLt. My opinion of him was formed by the Drill Instructors who always talked shit and rolled their eyes when he came around. However, to his face, they treated him with utmost respect. But, once again, I had no idea what his life or his job was like.

So, with all of that being said, unless you deploy (which I never did with the Reserves), I don't think you're going to have any idea what an officers life or job is like. Fortunately, you have airwarriors to come to and ask questions and read about others experiences. Use that, research and explore. But, right now, I doubt you have any idea what to expect.

Rasczak

Marine
I was series honorman, yes.

Gentleman, I appreciate your input. You've helped me to understand why my decision is the better of the 2 choices I currently have right now. As long as I have been trying to obtain a commission, I think it's only best if I put it off for a while. At least until after we deploy in 2010. If I'm too old when I get back to be a pilot, well whatever. I can still make something great out of a career in the Corps. Besides, I kind of enjoy this whole grunt thing. I have an excuse for not showering for a few days.

Atleast after I deploy, I will have a better idea of what the Corps is about, and I won't screw over my fireteam/squad when we deploy either. From what I've understood from all the vets in our squad, we have a good one. I'm glad I'm part of it.

echo4nasty

I hate to thread-jack, but does anyone know what the age requirements are to be a USMC aviator at commissioning? I've heard 26 1/2 and also 27. I'm currently 25 and in my senior year in college. I'm prior Marine enlisted (active duty). I'll be graduating at 26 1/2 years old. Also is there an age waiver possible to be an aviator? I've heard yes and no. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

nebekerb

Final Select SNA
Contributor
I was series honorman, yes.

Gentleman, I appreciate your input. You've helped me to understand why my decision is the better of the 2 choices I currently have right now. As long as I have been trying to obtain a commission, I think it's only best if I put it off for a while. At least until after we deploy in 2010. If I'm too old when I get back to be a pilot, well whatever. I can still make something great out of a career in the Corps. Besides, I kind of enjoy this whole grunt thing. I have an excuse for not showering for a few days.

Atleast after I deploy, I will have a better idea of what the Corps is about, and I won't screw over my fireteam/squad when we deploy either. From what I've understood from all the vets in our squad, we have a good one. I'm glad I'm part of it.

Not to sound all Semper I, but I really don't think that you leaving to become an officer would "screw over" your fireteam/squad. If you leave, they will get another body to replace you. All of the salty dogs say they have a good whatever, that's their job. They wouldn't get anywhere with their Marines if they said they were were the shittiest group ever.
So in the end, do what you want. Don't let someone else guilt trip you into screwing over the rest of your career. Conversely, if you want to wait, wait.

Crowbar

None
It's hard to answer this question online without sounding like a flaming dork but I'll give it a shot.

Like everybody has said, leadership at each level is different. Where you are now, not much is expected of you. Show up on time, do what you're supposed to do, and don't get arrested. Any leadership you're able to provide is going to consist mainly of doing things you know need to be done without being told and being a positive influence on your peers.

After a while when you get into NCO billets you'll be responsible for a certain number of Marines. Your leadership then will primarily consist of you looking "Down and In". You focus on your immediate responsibilities and make sure everybody knows what they should know and stays out of trouble. As you become a senior NCO and Staff NCO, you will start looking "Up and Out". Instead of focusing on the immediate future and a handful of people, you will have a shop or a platoon and you will be looking at more big picture items. Instead of finding the best way to execute a training plan, you'll provide inputs to or make the training plan yourself then make sure your NCOs are carrying it out. You'll still have to look inside to make sure all is well but you should also be looking forward, trying to identify items and correct them before they become issues.

As far as officers, you'll need to be looking forward and understanding everything going on around you, and you will have those NCOs and SNCOs who should be doing the day to day running of the platoon/shop/whatever. It varies by MOS, but for example, an aircraft maintenance officer is not going to be outside doing dailies or changing tires. Yes, he will need to verify it was done but you have Marines who do the actual work. The Marines are focused on the specific maintenance action, while the officer focuses on the overall maintenance effort. Make sense? Probably not.

All of this is very dependent on the situation. I was lucky and was "brought up" in the Marine Corps by good SNCOs. As soon as I got promoted to Sergeant, they started letting me into their circle to see what they did so I would be prepared. Not everybody gets that chance and looking back I'm able to appreciate what they did for me.

I would say, give it time. In a couple of years, especially if you deploy, you will know whether or not it's right for you.

*Not everybody will fall into one of these neat categories I described. Every person has a different experience. These are just an generic overall description.