• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commissary - Love it or Leave it.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
One thing about AAFES, they have (had?) seriously good deals on Omega watches. Well below MSRP, no haggling, no tax.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, you can even order them through the AAFES website.

Yup, and they are an authorized dealer, so you get all the paperwork, warranties, etc. Beats waiting a year, but then again AAFES doesn't carry X-33s with Wings made of unobtanium.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Yesterday I brought home a loaf of bread from the commissary, only to open it and find it moldy. This is the third time I've bought moldy bread. (Before you tell me I'm an idiot, I don't really have a choice. Japanese stores don't sell loaves of bread so it's the commissary or I put my peanut butter and jelly on a spoon.) I also almost bought feta cheese which was nearly a month past the date a few weeks ago. When I let an employee know, I got the same bored reaction I got the day I told them about the (live, upside down) cockroach in front of the rotisserie chicken.

If this is a "service" to the sailors, they are failing miserably.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Yesterday I brought home a loaf of bread from the commissary, only to open it and find it moldy. This is the third time I've bought moldy bread. (Before you tell me I'm an idiot, I don't really have a choice. Japanese stores don't sell loaves of bread so it's the commissary or I put my peanut butter and jelly on a spoon.) I also almost bought feta cheese which was nearly a month past the date a few weeks ago. When I let an employee know, I got the same bored reaction I got the day I told them about the (live, upside down) cockroach in front of the rotisserie chicken.

Ah yes, Japan commissaries, the ass end of the supply chain and they don't f'ing care. At which base are you stationed?

you gotta be REALLY careful about "good deals" offered by the NEX. I've seen them sell computers and other electronics at full price when those items are last year's model.

I ended up buying most of my fresh food out in town, despite the higher prices.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Atsugi. We're the ones who've had power off to much of the base on and off for the last 5 or so days. FDNF life at its finest. Thank L. Ron that I live offbase! Yokosuka's commissary is decent at best, we we are several steps below them.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I've tried to do the NEX Price Match thing a few times with mixed results. In Japan they were great about it, even an internet ad printed out worked. Here in the states I've been told that the specific model number has to be listed in the paper ad for them to match it. ie it doesn't matter that it is obviously the same product. One employee actually called Best Buy to confirm the number since BB doesn't list those numbers in their ads. But I have had others that can't be bothered to call and if its not on paper right in front of them, they don't care.

blackbart22

pilot
Have used commissarys on Guam, Atsugi, and else where. The one that was by far the worst was at Gitmo. It was the only place to get food. Since I was in FTG and deployed to Norfolk or Mayport a couple times a month to ride the carriers, I could hump back 40 or 50 pounds of baby food, formula, etc each trip. Don't know how my offspring would have made it without the stuff from CONUS. The commissary officer and I were on a first name basis and not in a good way. Fortunately I was a tad senior, so didn't in too much truoble. What were they going to do to me, send me to Gitmo?

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
The one that was by far the worst was at Gitmo.

Funny you brought GTMO up...boss. I checked in there one year ago today. I found some items were a very good deal (20-30% less) compared to home. Others, not so much (laundry detergent). I was able to adjust what brand I used and saved a ton.

I drink Jim Beam because I'm a cheap bastard but the Crown there was cheap.

A handle of Crown was approx $35 and the "sales" on other flavors were insane. Combine that with baby sitting 600+ IA sailors with access to the same alcohol made for some interesting times. My liver is worse for the wear because of that place.

Oh look ...noon...time for some Beam:)

hscs

pilot

My family had this happen numerous times at Atsugi - I am just surprised that the cockroach didn't fall out of the rotisserie chicken.

I don't even think that ICE would solve the problem - you will just get the standard FDNF answer, 'that is the way it is over here' given by someone who hasn't left FDNF in 10 years, leaving no hope of changing any of the ridiculous FDNF rules - maybe a letter to an influential Senator will fix the problem.....

millsrawife

Proud Navy Wife!
Commissary...hate it. Although I find myself there at least once a week for little things (I work on base and it's convent to stop and pick up a gallon of milk). I quit doing my regular trip there because things were always ringing up the wrong price. This happened to me two trips in a row so I wrote an e-mail and never got a response... I was there today picking up some eggs and they had signs all over the place saying they were switching to electronic price tags, maybe someone was listing to my e-mails they just didn't want to reply?

I have to say I like shopping at the NEX for certain things. It seems like our exchange does a scratch off like every three months, and last week we got 25% off on our Macbook (saved $286 with that plus $100 in tax we would have paid in town).

helo_wifey

I'm going to have to agree about the commissary. We sucked it up in Japan and often bought meat, veggies, and fruit off base because the quality was miles above that on base. Here in Jax we support local and shop farmers markets for those things when at all possible. Yeah, I'm spending $5 a lb for grass fed local beef but I know where it comes from which makes it worth while. Not looking forward to Guam though, at least in Japan you had off base options.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
I had to pick up my dry cleaning but they (and the NEX) don't open until 0900. Well, sitting in my ride waiting, a no-notice dump came a-callin'. I went to the commissary and the bathrooms were very clean. I took care of business and bought a bottle of water to replenish the fluids. The last time I was in there was late 2008.

NEX for liquor and beer
HEB/Sun Harvest/Sprouts for everything else (including wine).