• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

commercial pilot shortage coming?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Copy. Definitely not saying there isn't a need or reason for them to exist...quite the opposite...I'm not opposed to collective bargaining at all in principle.

Illustrative of the idea that people who are against unions (or government handouts) tend to change their tune when it's their union or government handout at stake.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The East guys have no integrity and USAPA (their union) is the biggest joke. They've been fucking over West guys for years. I hope APA does as you predicted Wink.
Whatever some critics may say about APA (I think they do pretty well especially addressing safety, technology and medical/health issues with the company in a non-partisan way), they are smart and bring a lot of talent and experience to the table. Even the former TWA guys are on board and bring valuable perspective. Many of the USAPA guys are hacks. Totally one issue, my way or the highway. But the smart East guys see the hand writing on the wall. The law, history, demographics and membership numbers just aren't going to go their way. I spoke with a buddy that is former AWA and sat in on the APA/USAPA talks. He came away very impressed with the APA representatives. He is not put off by a merger at all. In fact, it would seem to benefit the AWA guys pretty well, seniority adjustments and all. If a merger happens it will be virtually preplanned and likely one of the smoothest in recent history. Even though the companies remain circumspect, the unions have MOUs in place that both of the companies participated in and tacitly approve of.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Illustrative of the idea that people who are against unions (or government handouts) tend to change their tune when it's their union or government handout at stake.
There is no "hand out" at stake with my job or my union. It is protecting the value of my services/skill set. My airline can more than afford my salary and benefits.

I'll agree that some unions are over the top - the Culinary Workers union in Las Vegas comes instantly to mind. But your all encompassing statement is bullshit, especially when you blanketly compare all unions to government handouts. Unions are trying to protect their workers, they are not trying to give handouts to non-workers. Nor are unions trying to make their workers pay for the non-workers and calling it "fairness".

As far as changing their tunes, it's called gaining experience. As you gain experience you adapt and apply that experience. I'd say someone that refuses to apply their experience when the situation calls for it is not being very smart.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If a merger happens it will be virtually preplanned and likely one of the smoothest in recent history. Even though the companies remain circumspect, the unions have MOUs in place that both of the companies participated in and tacitly approve of.
Except for the SLI. Hopefully APA will insist that the Nic award applied to the Airways list before any SLI. But USAPA is going to fight that and insist APA takes their (wish) list. If APA doesn't insist on the Nic, the west guys will continue their court actions and eventually win but it will be years of strife which will not help AA at all. It sounds like you guys will do the right thing.

I agree the contract part will be smooth and quick.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are welcome to bitch slap me if you ever catch me doing that. A course correction will immediately follow.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hopefully APA will insist that the Nic award applied to the Airways list before any SLI.
That is my understanding. I don't know for sure. But if it ever came up for a vote, that is the way it would go down. As far as the law/courts are concerned, it remains a BINDING arbitrated agreement. USAPA simply refuses to honor their obligation. Once APA is certified as the pilot's representatives, they would honor it, then integrate. I don't see a way around the elephant in the room for those East guys. The day of reckoning is coming.

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
On that note, my FE written is about to expire. Do I still need it?

From here: https://fedex.pilotcredentials.com/index.php?a=qualifications

"Current FE Turbojet Rating or written (FEX or Basic/turbojet) taken within previous 18 months only applicable to candidates notified and offered a BI class that may include B727 Second officer positions."

By the letter of the law you will need one only if you test, interview, get hired into the pool and then get offered a Basic Indoc class that has 727 SO positions.

727s are on the way out and most likely will be overmanned for the foreseeable future.... so save your money.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are welcome to bitch slap me if you ever catch me doing that. A course correction will immediately follow.
I hear you. Not passing judgement, just making an observation about human nature. At our core, we all probably engage in a little more "do as I say, not as I do" then we'd like to admit.

7562Driver

pilot
Phrogdriver: Our resumes are probably nowhere near similar, but as I was just passed over on the last O-4 board, I am beginning the research process for a 46 to V-22 guy to airline pilot. Hopefully my fraternity brothers can provide me with some more information and inside look at what's going on with hiring and the best way to present my resume. I'm going to take the next few months and try to salvage my military career as I was just given an S-shop to boost my chances above zone. I'll try to push information about what my experiences, hurdles and successes are over the next year. I'm betting I'm not going to get picked up above zone and will be hitting this process hard after the next annual reporting period (gotta hope).

phrogpilot73

Phrogdriver: Our resumes are probably nowhere near similar, but as I was just passed over on the last O-4 board, I am beginning the research process for a 46 to V-22 guy to airline pilot. Hopefully my fraternity brothers can provide me with some more information and inside look at what's going on with hiring and the best way to present my resume. I'm going to take the next few months and try to salvage my military career as I was just given an S-shop to boost my chances above zone. I'll try to push information about what my experiences, hurdles and successes are over the next year. I'm betting I'm not going to get picked up above zone and will be hitting this process hard after the next annual reporting period (gotta hope).
FWIW - there's a $45K affiliation bonus as a V-22 guy in the reserves...

phrogpilot73

Fuck! I was offered I think $10k for 3 years for Navy SELRES.
I got a $10K 3 year bonus (as most of us did). They just came out with a $45K bonus for targeted MOSs. Some of them were for MOSs that are undermanned (AH-1W, UH-1N, CH-53E) and an additional MOS that is GOING to be undermanned based on who's transitioning from 764 (and who's going to transition in 774) to V-22's. Funny, the offer didn't apply to Phrog guys. Probably because we're getting close to being fully manned in our squadron - and we're all planning on sticking around until the Phrog is retired at the least. I don't know if there's still a $10K officer affiliation bonus, but if there is - I doubt you could take both...

7562Driver

pilot
Phrogdriver, thanks for the info. I plan on looking in the reserves both active and the drilling one. Not sure I want to go USMC Active Reserve although the 45k might entice me. I was thinking about AF Active Reserve to build time in more "useful" aircraft. It will all depend on my chances in The Show and the salary that will come with that. I've gotten used to my current lifestyle and with #2 on the way I can't afford regional pay. The in-laws are in southern VA so 774 wouldn't be a bad gig. At least my kids could actually see their grandparents more often.

phrogpilot73

Phrogdriver, thanks for the info. I plan on looking in the reserves both active and the drilling one. Not sure I want to go USMC Active Reserve although the 45k might entice me. I was thinking about AF Active Reserve to build time in more "useful" aircraft. It will all depend on my chances in The Show and the salary that will come with that. I've gotten used to my current lifestyle and with #2 on the way I can't afford regional pay. The in-laws are in southern VA so 774 wouldn't be a bad gig. At least my kids could actually see their grandparents more often.
phrogdriver and I are two separate people... ;) The $45K bonus was for SMCR, not AR. AR is actively recruiting, and you'd get snatched up quick - only because there are very FEW (read: none that I know of) V-22 guys in the AR world. AR is a good deal, same pay/benefits as AD and same retirement as AD - only you're guaranteed to bounce between 764 and 774 (you might have the occasional tour at Wing - but that's mostly based on your desires. They're always hurting for pilots on AR). For the record - we're (774) not scheduled to transition to the V-22 until FY 16. Just parts of your planning, if you're looking for a drilling gig - because likely you'd revert back to 46s (although with your quals, they'd float the "drill on the west coast, live where you want" offer they had for me).

As for AF/ANG - I looked into it, but I never really had the desire to fly in the Airlines. If you feel like flying on the outside, getting into a reserve squadron is a good thing - We've got everything from airline pilots to EMS pilots to guys that split their time flying ME FW and RW (for IBM) on the outside world. I also know that the Herc squadron in NY is looking for pilots... My squadron WTI when I was a young LT is flying for them and is a Delta FO...

Oh, and when you do start looking for reserve gigs - from personal experience, the LONGEST you want to drive to commute to your reserve unit is 3 1/2 - 4 hours. More than that, the juice isn't worth the squeeze. If you're flying in for drill weekends - you'd want to live somewhere that is a hub so it's a non-stop flight, again - juice isn't worth the squeeze otherwise. Although, if you're an O-4 or less, they'll reimburse 12 plane tickets a year... And if you're driving in for a drill weekend - keep track of mileage. It's tax deductible.