• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commercial Gear/Study Aids for Primary

mjmiller05

I'm getting ready to roll out of P'Cola and head down to Corpus Christi for primary next week. I'm going to drop by the Wings store on Gulf Beach before I leave and I'm wondering if there's anything there worth buying.

I've heard that the T-34 flash cards are pretty good, etc. I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know experiences they've had with gear or study aids available that are worth the money.

For instance, we haven't been issued knee boards because supply is out, but i've heard the issue ones are crap anyway and we should buy our own, thoughts/recommendations?

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
JetJunkie said:
Hendricks 9-G or Soft-G Kneeboard.

Is that what you used when you went through primary?

I used 2 kneeboards in primary RI's or you can use a knee board and leg strap which is what I used in advanced...and still use. The issued kneeboard is good for some folks because it's a higher rest for your grip, I've always used the flat style knee boards.

As for flash cards, it's not a bad idea. I found it to be more useful for my studying to make my own flash cards....helped with the memory items.

Get in the habit of doing something while reciting EPs/procedures/course rules/FTI. I walked and bounced a racket ball. Going through EPs outloud while driving helped me also. If you're lucky enough to get VT-28 for primary the ready room has a ping pong table that you can use to help with EPs.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would not get in the habit of using two kneeboards. You just don't need all that much crap, even in instruments. One kneeboard with your jet log, chart and notebook and a strap with your plates. Spare plates/charts can go on the glareshield or in a leg pocket. Stuff you will rarely use inflight like the IFR sup, FIH, and STARs can go in your navbag in the mapcase. Oh. Be sure to get a navbag before starting Primary RIs. You'll need it.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I used the issue kneeboard in contacts and PAs, then bought the 9G one from the 28 PAO. It was great, I loved the low profile and being able to drop the checklist out of the way. Once I started RIs I bought the approach strap the PAO sold to hold the approach plates on my other leg. Thats all I needed to get thru, and they worked great. I think they're actually cheaper from the PAO as opposed to buying them at Wings.

But I'd agree with nittany, all you need is one kneeboard and an approach strap.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, the 9-G kneeboard is great, as well as an approach plate strap for the other leg. Be a minimalist in the cockpit when you can. A good nav-bag is a must too. Of course, most of this isn't relevant until the RI stage of Primary.

thundersquid

pilot
I thought it was also handy to have a hand strap for my pencil. My pencil stayed out of the way when I didn't need it, and was right there when I did. I hated always trying to find where I put my pencil or trying to figit with putting it in my pocket.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
thundersquid said:
I thought it was also handy to have a hand strap for my pencil. My pencil stayed out of the way when I didn't need it, and was right there when I did. I hated always trying to find where I put my pencil or trying to figit with putting it in my pocket.
Your writing implement should be tied in to your kneeboard and de-FODed. Get used to it. :D

Brett

thundersquid

pilot
Brett327 said:
Your writing implement should be tied in to your kneeboard and de-FODed. Get used to it. :D

Brett

Tried it. Didn't like it as much as the strap. Use the strap and it is much more handy.

Anyway, that is just my technique.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
JetJunkie said:

Perhaps they are talking about connecting the checklists to the kneeboard via the rings from the blue brains. The 9-G has an area on both sides of it where its possible to do so. Keeping all the pages single sided facing up- when your finished through a page of the checklist, just turn it and the next one is looking at you. Easier then flipping the blue brains over to read whats on the opposite page of a checklist- that and having part of the bluebrains on your kneeboard makes it easier to fit it and a bottled drink in the map case.

gregsivers

pilot
zippy said:
Perhaps they are talking about connecting the checklists to the kneeboard via the rings from the blue brains. The 9-G has an area on both sides of it where its possible to do so. Keeping all the pages single sided facing up- when your finished through a page of the checklist, just turn it and the next one is looking at you. Easier then flipping the blue brains over to read whats on the opposite page of a checklist- that and having part of the bluebrains on your kneeboard makes it easier to fit it and a bottled drink in the map case.

He nailed it. But now we don't even get to use checklists for helo advanced.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, I'm sure you're still using checklists, it just may not be you who's reading them off. ;)

Chubby

gregsivers said:
He nailed it. But now we don't even get to use checklists for helo advanced.
I think what he meant was no blue brains checklists. At TW-5 you gotta go straight from the PCL. Don't know why, but ours is not to reason why.

gregsivers

pilot
Chubby said:
I think what he meant was no blue brains checklists. At TW-5 you gotta go straight from the PCL. Don't know why, but ours is not to reason why.

Yeah thats what I meant. Just a different system than I'm used to at Corpus with the blue brains.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chubby said:

Strictly a Helo thing, unless it's changed. We had a "blue brain" checklist for the T-34 in VT-2.

flynsail

pilot
Fly Navy said:
Strictly a Helo thing, unless it's changed. We had a "blue brain" checklist for the T-34 in VT-2.

Yes it did change. Think the order came from the previous TW-5 Commodore. Not allowed to 'gouge' up the PCL either.