• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Commercial airlines miracle plan

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
NWA has come up with the perfect solution to their wage cuts and worker layoffs.
Northwest Airlines, which has slashed wages and jobs and is looking to lay off more workers as it exits bankruptcy, has apologized for distributing a booklet of money-savings tips for workers that includes advice that they go dumpster-diving.
I'm shocked...shocked no one thought of this plan sooner. I'm sure the pilots and mechanics unions will gladly ask for more salary cuts in the wake of this ingenius new development. :eek: Wow....just....wow.

Full Article

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
hehe, Northwest airline stock is worth $0.50

Northwest Airlines NWACQ(OTC)Get E-Mail Alerts on This Stock

Data as of 08-18-2006 09:48 AM CT

Last Price
Day Change
Volume
$0.51
0.02 (-3.77%)

Open Price
Day Range
52-Wk Range
$0.51
0.52 - 0.49
5.97 - 0.30

Mkt Cap($mil)
Yield
Avg Volume
NA

http://quote.morningstar.com/Quote/Quote.aspx?ticker=NWACQ

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
NWA has come up with the perfect solution to their wage cuts and worker layoffs.

I'm shocked...shocked no one thought of this plan sooner. I'm sure the pilots and mechanics unions will gladly ask for more salary cuts in the wake of this ingenius new development. :eek: Wow....just....wow.

Full Article
I'm glad someone else saw the corporate hypocrisy in the extreme demonstrated by the issuance of this little "manual" at NWA to some of its employees.

The message from the "management team" was : "Let them eat cake ... "

Now, for all you knee-jerk, anti-union zealots out there who have not a clue about working in the "real" world --- you know, the one where the taxpayers do not pay your way en toto --- do you see arrogance in the management ranks that generates loathing from the rank-and-file worker on so many occasions ??? Are you starting to get a "clue"?? And this, remember, is coming from a guy who is basically a free-marketeer.

I wonder if NWA pulled the booklet ... and "appologized" ... because CEO Doug Steenland tried Dumpster Diving and didn't like it ... ??? Do you suppose .... ??? :) Do you ??? :)

For me --- I'll do my part: I'll pledge to only go to Starbuck's 4 times a week instead of 6 .... just llike Dougie.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
"A federal judge decided Thursday to permit Northwest Airlines Corp. flight attendants to strike the nation's fifth-biggest passenger air carrier, a move that could jeopardize its survival."

Crappy management and then this... My buds at NWA are looking at a very steep hill in front of them.. :(

I hope they can turn this train wreck around...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"A federal judge decided Thursday to permit Northwest Airlines Corp. flight attendants to strike the nation's fifth-biggest passenger air carrier, a move that could jeopardize its survival."

Crappy management and then this... ....
Well ....... this is the same bankruptcy judge that O.K.'ed NWA's VOIDING of the F/A's contract --- which set the stage for a potential stike. The contract(s) had twice been approved by the F/A union leadership, then voted down by the membership --- obla-de, olba-da .... la la la la life goes on.

Is the bankruptcy judge crazy? Or is it something else ?? Inquiring minds would like to know ... :)

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Dunno... Would hate to be in their shoes.. Seems lose/lose at this stage in the game... Personally I think it is all about money... The longer they struggle and stay in bankruptcy, the longer the bankruptcy lawyers and judges make their CASH; And it is some big CASH... Just my .2 cents..

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Dunno... Would hate to be in their shoes.. Seems lose/lose at this stage in the game... Personally I think it is all about money......
Well, the "lose" part for the employees has already happened. Pay cuts and all ... in real terms, @ 50% for pilots. 40% pay cut and fly 10 % more hours/month. The other labor groups are not cut that deep, but they didn't start off with as much, either.

BTW, NWA is ready to come out of bankruptcy ... they could have shown a profit last quarter were it not for aircraft lease turn-backs. That's a management decision --- not operational costs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One little bit of airline irony ... :icon_rast

In the past, when the Stews/Flight attendants have struck or threatened a strike, the airline basically said: "So what"???

In point of fact, that's why the F/A's have RARELY, if ever, in modern airline history, struck their respective airlines. They have no real clout; they have no "hand", they cannot shut down the airline. They are relatively EASY to replace. The ONLY ones who CAN shutdown the airline are the pilots :captain_1 and, to a lesser degree, the mechanics. But the F/A's ... sorry, they just can't do it.

Sooooooo .... now, while in bankruptcy (?) the airline cries ... "if the F/A's strike, it will be the end of the airline :eek: ... Wah, Wah, Wah .... !!"

BUT: the reality is --- they would probably like to get rid of the whole gang of current union F/A's and hire a bunch of newbies at a significant cost savings with a take-it-or-leave-it contract. NWA might even import a bunch of their Oriental/Asian girls & guys who would JUMP at a chance to come fly the friendly skies in the Land of the Big PX .... :)

With virtually all (real) inflight service gone these days ... most F/A's could almost be replaced by some vending machines and a bag of quarters. ( *GASP* :eek: did he REALLY say that ???!!)

When I was in recurrent training a few years ago ... and we had a combined class with some F/A's .... and one of them questioned their 6 weeks new-hire time-to- train versus the pilots' roughly 8 weeks initial new-hire training time. She said:

" Do you mean it takes 6 weeks to train us and 8 weeks to train the pilots??? Do you mean if I had gone to training 2 weeks longer I could have been a pilot .... ???" :eek:

It took @ 5 minutes for the laughter to subside from the pilots' side of the room .... F/A's ... priceless .... :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the Airline industry as a whole could use an inufsion of fresh blood in the Flight Attendant ranks: smaller, hotter and friendlier woudl be nice to see.

And that is all I can contribute to a thread on commercial aviation.

pdx

HSM Pilot
I think the Airline industry as a whole could use an inufsion of fresh blood in the Flight Attendant ranks: smaller, hotter and friendlier woudl be nice to see.

And that is all I can contribute to a thread on commercial aviation.

No kidding! An ignorant person (like myself) might assume it is part of a flight attendant's JOB to be nice. But I guess they have more important things to do like keep the plane in the sky by sheer professionalism and hard work.

On my 19 hour flight home from Beijing, I almost succeeded in beating myself unconcious with my empty wine bottle before the stewardess brought me another. I put on my best charming smile, brown-nosed a bit, and asked if she could just bring me a few bottles of anything. After all, they are only about 1/10 of a real drink anyway. She acted like I was asking to bring a god-d*&ned nuclear bomb on the plane.

I'm thinking of flying Russian airlines only now. I'm sure the risk of dying is much greater, but at least they might bring me alcohol.
stewardess%5B2%5D.jpg

One of these is a fantasy, one is a real flight attendant. Can you guess which is which?
RU_56091_M.jpg
55439384_90ee371302_m.jpg

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I'm thinking of flying Russian airlines only now. I'm sure the risk of dying is much greater, but at least they might bring me alcohol.

If the Russian Pilotskis leave any for you, that is.