• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COMAIR Mid-Air..."Hit? By what?"

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've heard that Delta aircraft that fly to Moscow carry cash in a lockbox in the cockpit to pay the ground crews in Moscow. Otherwise they can't count on them being there. Just heresay, if I'm mistaken oops.

It has been known to happen with US military planes too......;)

family1

Nor really Comair

Comair has enough problems. I don't think they have any routes over the Amazon basin. The tail looks more like a Continental plane.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Comair has enough problems. I don't think they have any routes over the Amazon basin. The tail looks more like a Continental plane.

COMAIR is not only an airline, it is used as an abbreviation for Commercial Air by military folk. That is what Schugg meant. The plane was a new purchase by "ExcelAire Service Inc., a charter and aircraft management company based in Ronkonkoma, N.Y".

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/02/w...46567b3ec&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
THAT'S IT ???? That's the "best" you can do ???? :) ... @ 4 years ... 8 posts .... sheeeeesh.

C-Mike

It has been known to happen with US military planes too......;)

Partial thread jack...

My ignorance aside, but what happened with the crew (possibley EA-6B) that clipped a ski lift cable in Europe a couple years back unfortunately resulting in loss of life?

Mefesto said:
The co-pilot is a Fraternity Brother of mine from college.

I don't enjoy hearing about the possibility of a rush to "justice" in foreign countries, especially with regards to Americans. My hopes that the facts, and justice come out on your friends side.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Partial thread jack...

My ignorance aside, but what happened with the crew (possibley EA-6B) that clipped a ski lift cable in Europe a couple years back unfortunately resulting in loss of life?

Military and civilian operate under a completely different set of rules as far as jurisdiction and status in the court system (Status Of Forces Agreement). That said, the Italian government wanted to charge/try the Marines involved in the mishap. They were eventually handled by the US military justice system. There are lots of details on the web, so I won't belabor the point.

Brett

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Mefesto said:
Alright all you pre-API ready room cowboys... I ask that you curb your speculation, as you don't know what you're talking about.

end rant.

If you've got something to offer then share it. But to insult?

plc67

pilot
If you want to get a glimpse as to how South American ops can eat your lunch study the AA 965 accident report. Unlike this accident it was a CFIT
accident but it pointed out the differences between US ATC and south of the border ATC. I've not flown in South America, our Miami crews do most of that, but my time will be coming and friends of mine who fly there regularly are unanimous in stating there are a lot of things done differently down South.
Sounds like the Jungle Jet crew did an outstanding job of getting that plane on the ground in a max pucker factor situation.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Partial thread jack...

I don't enjoy hearing about the possibility of a rush to "justice" in foreign countries, especially with regards to Americans. My hopes that the facts, and justice come out on your friends side.

That crew was cut loose by the Marines from the moment they got on the ground. They were handed over to the Italians early on with no representation and no help from the US. They had to call a American lawyer in Rome to get help......:(

One of the back-seaters was in VT-86 when I went through and he gave a 2-3 hour brief at a safety stand-down and I talked to him a few times after debriefing a flight. It was a pretty charged brief at the stand-down, you could tell it still weighed on him heavily. He was very blunt how the Marines left them out to dry in the beginning. He said it was a big eye-opener, he was a little cynical about it. One thing that he mentioned was that during the court-martial proceedings (they eventually dropped the charges against him and the other back-seater) they introduced into evidence every single grade sheet of his from flight school, with all of his Belows' tabbed and a tally of what they were for :eek:.

One of the most suprising things was that there was never a mishap investigation. The Safety Center sent at least one of their staff out there to do the investigation. When he got there the MAW CG told him that he was to turn over all the investigation results/notes/findings to him at the end to be used as evidence in the court-martials. When the Safety Center guy balked and told him no, he was left hanging and eventually went home without doing the investigation.

By the way, the pictures of the Prowler were nothing short of jaw-dropping.....Grumman Ironworks lived up its name.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
That crew was cut loose by the Marines from the moment they got on the ground. They were handed over to the Italians early on with no representation and no help from the US. .......

That would NEVER have happened back-in-the-day ... I just don't know how present day military "management" can expect loyalty from their subordinates when loyalty doesn't flow down the chain as well as up ....

...I'm really glad I served when I did.... in spite of any problems we might have had ... not standing by your men was not one of them ....

*edit* .. just so there is no misunderstanding ... back-in-the-day ... you could lose your Wings and get sent home -- literally; I witnessed it more than once -- and more serious "crimes" had more serious penalties .... but UNCLE would NEVER, EVER turn his back on "his boys" and hand them over to foreign jurisdictions.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Mefesto said:
Dude... we're talking just after Tailhook, and Clinton was in office. What more would you expect?

I'd expect just what happened when cover your own ass "leadership" is "in charge" ... and like I implied ... I'm glad I'm not in today.

P.S. ... I'm not one of your .... "dudes". Save it for your contemporaries. Comprende??? I'll make you a deal you can't refuse: Don't call me "dude" and I won't call you "dud" ....

plc67

pilot
When Okinawa got turned over to the Japanese we were told, in no uncertain terms, that if you got sideways with the local law you would be turned over to the local authorities and good luck. That was all branches of the military and it was 1972 I believe.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
When Okinawa got turned over to the Japanese we were told, in no uncertain terms, that if you got sideways with the local law you would be turned over to the local authorities and good luck. That was all branches of the military and it was 1972 I believe.
Maybe Oki was always a "delicate" proposition ... politically, and still is .... and we didn't spend any time there, other than to typhoon-bingo into Naha once and tear up the O'Club. They said don't ever come back, so we beat up the field on departure .... :) ... and followed their instructions to never go back.

But in Nippon proper, ROK, Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Philippines ... even Mombassa, Kenya --- the local constablulary ALWAYS turned the flotsam and jetsam over to the Shore Patrol for disposal. I can't think of any exceptions ....

All flying infractions were referred to local military jurisdiction as well, even if it involved President Marcos .... and it did, on one occasion ... :)