• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

colorblindness test..

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviatorMatt

hey jg5343, you are odviously pretty ignorant when it comes to this matter. do some research on colorblindness. I can see reds, I can see greens, and I can see most other colors. Being colorblind won't kill anybody. Being a crappy pilot is what kills people. You don't understand that colorblindness doesn't mean you 'can't see colors'. Very few people have the most severe cases and see only black and grays. In most cases people see colors differently. If it would actually kill somebody, they wouldn't accept other methods of colortesting. If somebody who is colorblind goes through pilot training, passes everything, gets into the cockpit of an f/a-18 and dies, you're pretty stupid to say they died because they were colorblind. Do some research on colorblindness. Find out what its like, talk to people. Understand what it is.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
aviatorMatt said:
hey jg5343, you are odviously pretty ignorant when it comes to this matter. do some research on colorblindness. I can see reds, I can see greens, and I can see most other colors. Being colorblind won't kill anybody. Being a crappy pilot is what kills people. You don't understand that colorblindness doesn't mean you 'can't see colors'. Very few people have the most severe cases and see only black and grays. In most cases people see colors differently. If it would actually kill somebody, they wouldn't accept other methods of colortesting. If somebody who is colorblind goes through pilot training, passes everything, gets into the cockpit of an f/a-18 and dies, you're pretty stupid to say they died because they were colorblind. Do some research on colorblindness. Find out what its like, talk to people. Understand what it is.

You know what, dude....If you can pass the test then you pass the test. If you cheat on the test to pass it by memorizing shape patterns then you are too colorblind to be a pilot. And you need to do a little research before you claim I am stupid. I have been on ops where you needed to identify something VERY important (that's all I'll say) by the color of it. If you do not cheat to pass, then I will fight beside you no problem. I have a problem with the guy who is cheating the exam to pass. A big problem. Quit being offended and think about why we have that standard.

aviatorMatt

No I understand what you mean. But It is impossible to cheat. If you can't see it, than you're screwed because the places you have to go for the eye exams are all different. I totally agree about those cheating to pass. You can train your eyes though too.
And those eye exams don't mean you can't tell the difference between green and red. I can see reds and greens, but I don't see enough of those plates to pass. I have good enough color peception to fly for the USMC, I took the FALANT test and passed. Which is an acceptable test. The tests are so easy that if you can't pass, being in an airplane is a huge hazard.

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
I can see where you're coming from. He's got a PPL without a waiver, so obviously he's not that colorblind. With the military, obviously its a bigger issue because, well its the military. I tell him there is no harm in trying. We both want to go into the Marines at the same time so that's why I am asking. Say what you want, but he's not cheating in my opinion. The goal is to see the numbers, and if he can see the numbers than it's good. It just takes him a few seconds that's all. There is no memorization involved whatsoever. Look on the internet,those plates are all over so it's not exactly like its "CLASSIFIED INFORMATION."

Also, there have been guys in here who CAN'T pass the numbered tests but CAN pass the light test. So are they colorblind?

If he fails the tests than you don't have to worry about him killing you. And I don't say that to put you down. I wouldn't want to fly with him either.

And no I am not colorblind.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Sorry to come off like that, but you made it seem like he was completely colorblind and that he was distinguishing between shapes and not colors. If he can pass by seeing the different color shades, great. If he can't, but can see the lights, great. I know those things are wierd and can be like a magic eye poster sometimes, but all I am saying is he is either colorblind or he is not. Period. No need to be all worked up about the testing if he only has trouble with the number charts, but sees the colored lights fine. So I ask you flat out, is he or is he not colorblind?

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
Sorry for the misrepresentation.

I imagine there is something def. wrong with him if he can't see the numbers right off the bat. He hasn't taken the flight physical yet to see if he can pass the light test, so we shall see. I was just trying to get some info from you guys so I can tell him what to expect.

bobbybrock

None
Gents,
I'm an H-60 IP with 11 years of aviation service. I barely passed the colored blind test. The standard is no more then 4 incorrect out of 13. I have failed on annual flight physicals. When that happens the fansworth comes out.
Color vision is very important. If your cousin can't pass the chromatic plate test then he'll be given the chance to take the fansworth test. Unless he can get the exact same test he's taking then I don't see the logic in his studying the plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.