• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

colorblindness test..

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
I know the Navy/Marine Corps test for colorblindess using psuedochromatic plate test, but which one? I think both the Ishihara and Dvorine are both psueddochromatic tests (number in dots test). Do you know which one is used? Anyone know? Thanks

Sabre170

None
From what I understand you start with the color dots and the conspiracy of some number is in there somewhere? But if you are like me and only see five numbers then you move to the green light, red light and white light test, of which I see just fine. At least that is the way MEPS did it.

R

RickyDT34

Potato Potato JR is falling in love with your avatar Steven.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Tell your cousin there is no way he will be able to hide his colorblindness and to give it up. I would hate to be killed because he slipped through, that would really ruin my chances of retirement at 38.

aviatorMatt

That light test is called the FALANT. Or otherwise known as the Farnsworth Lantern. People who aren't colorblind don't understand. If you fail those other tests, you can take the FALANT which tests color perception. Its acceptable for Naval/Marine Aviatiors, the AF doesn't accept that anymore. I can only see about half of those PIP plates and I am a civilian pilot. I think you'll take the FALANT when you get the cyclo medical done. The FALANT is the last chance thing. If you can pass that, than you're good to go. People who say "you either are or you aren't" shouldn't be listened to cause they don't know what they're saying. Color vision doesn't make a pilot. I'm currently working on my Multi-engine Commercial rating for the civilian world, and I've never failed one of my checkrides. When it comes to the colors in the aviation world, it's like writing the word GO in green and the word STOP in red. You'll know what color those things are suppost to be. Anymore questions on flying while colorblind, email me. sylve198@erau.edu

And for everybody else, colorblind doesn't mean you don't see any colors. Your eyes just physically percieve some colors differently

aviatorMatt

by the way, I can see green and I can see red, my eyes just don't see them well when they're all mixed in together in those dot tests. I have a waiver for the FAA.

FlyingFortress

Flying turd
So at your flight physical or NAMI do they screen you for color defection by adminstering 1 single book of the number plates? Something like 10-15 plates? The reason why is that my cousin bought one of those books, and after staring at the pages for minutes upon minutes, he's developed the ability to distinguish outlines of numbers and so forth, i.e he's starting to see numbers. Now he can tell you a number after looking at it for 2 seconds.

aviatorMatt

i'm not sure how many books they show you. But they eyes are very trainable. If that doesn't work, than the falant is the next step. Email me with your cousin's email, I want to know how he did that.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Ok, now I am pissed off. It sucks that you guys and your "cousin" have colorblindness, but too bad. There is a very important reason why that is a requirement and it is not to be able to tell what color shirt you are puttig on that day. Having been in the special operations section of the Navy, I know how important this requirement is. YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF OR SOMEONE ELSE if you fake being able to see colors. STOP TRYING!!! GD it!!!! You people are flat out idiots! Do something else that doesn't require color vision. Will someone else please back me up on this one? I am not trying to be a dick, but for crying out loud, this is way more serious than you think.

usmcecho4

pilot
color blindness and the like

All you need to know color-wise is the difference between red, green, and white. The tri-chrome plates are a bit excessive in my opinion and if you're nervous about the test it is helpful to look at examples beforehand just to get a feel for the test. And contrary to what you may think your tester will most likely help you out if you just made a careless error by saying something like, "are you sure about that one?" In closing, if you're not profoundly color blind you will pass the red, green, white test so go to a hospital that does that one instead of tri-chrome if you can.

kill,
usmcecho4

Status
Not open for further replies.