• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Colorblind Question

chrisfisher_2

I have been looking into enlisting into the Air Force, but I'd really like to go TACP. I am 25, but I looked into joining the Army when I was 19. When I went to MEPS, the Doc informed me that I had a form of colorblindness so it DQ'd be from a few jobs that I really wanted and I wasn't going to go 11B just for the fun of it. Fast forward to present day, I have an itch to get out of what I am doing now and possibly join the Air Force. But I also know that I can't be Special Forces if I have a form of colorblindness. I fail the dotted plate test that they use at MEPS, but I have taken the Farnsworth Munsell 100 Hue Test and I have passed that with flying colors! (no pun intended). Just curious if you guys are aware of waivers or any way around the MEPS color test, such as bringing proof of the one I listed above. Any info would really help!

P.S. - I am well aware that their are plenty of other jobs to do in any branch that you can do if you're colorblind, but I really have eyes set on Special Forces. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My name is Chris, nice to meet you guys and excited to get some insight from you. I live in West Texas and have been in car sales for about two years. I come from a lineage of Marine's, my Pops was in the Corp for 21 years and my grandfather did 25 years. Joining the military has always been in the back of my mind, as I've always had tremendous admiration and respect for those who have served. As I got out of high school I went to MEPS to join the army, but as I went through MEPS the doc let me know that I had a form of colorblindness so it took my career path that I wanted out of the picture. After that I was pretty discouraged, and I wasn't aware of waivers and ways to navigate around the issue. The MOS's that they were giving me didn't really interest me, and 11B in the Army just didn't seem like the right plan. I decided not to join at the time and I went home to work on the farm. I did that til I was 23, then I decided to get into car sales to make some good money. Well fast forward to present day: I have now been doing this for 2 years, and I am at the point where I am considering a different path for my life. I just feel like there's more for me. I make plenty of money, but I don't enjoy where I live or what I do. I have recently got on a kick where I can't get Air Force Special Forces out of my mind and it's something that I am super interested in, but as I said, I am colorblind.. after researching a little while, I found that there is the Farnsworth Munsell 100 Hue Test and I passed that with flying colors. (no pun intended.) That's what led me here, I am curious as to if I can get cleared to go if I have that test result from an optometrist in town. Any insight helps! Thanks.

Assuming you’re looking at enlisting talk to a local enlisted recruiter. You probably still need to “pass” a MEPS eye exam but in the event you’re colorblind you may still be eligible to enlist albeit for certain jobs that allow it.