• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Color Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfpack

I did a search and didn't quite see anything that completely answered my question. I'm interested in NFO and have a question about color vision requirements/testing. I know the requirements state "Normal Color Vision". I've read that they conduct a test where they flash a red dot, green dot or a white dot and you call out the color. Is the test that simple or does it also include the assortment of dots where you must distinguish the number/letter in the grouping? By normal does it mean that you cannot miss any of the items because I'm assuming that people have varying degrees of color blindness and I didn't know if there was an acceptable range? I'm going to a civilian Dr. this week for a color vision test because I have heard that as much as 50% of males are color blind. I don't seem to have a problem but just want to make sure. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

DairyCreamer

The primary test you take is the muti-colored dots, and you read the numbers and trace the paths.

If you fail that, then you take the FALANT test, which is the 3 colored lights. You have to ace the FALANT if you fail the color book, or you fail the color blindness test.

~Nate

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The only test I have ever taken as a Naval Aviator was the Falant light test with the red, green, and white lights. Never did the colored number tests in 10.5 years of service.

VAW-120 FRS Flight Instructor

thepilot33

I took both of the tests recently and the falant is a piece of cake. Three dots in a vertical patter are flashed at you and you must state the middle color. There are only those three colors (Red/White/Green).

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by thepilot33
I took both of the tests recently and the falant is a piece of cake. Three dots in a vertical patter are flashed at you and you must state the middle color. There are only those three colors (Red/White/Green).

I did the same thing at MEPS and found both tests to be really simple. Obviously though, I am not colorblind.

If you can tell the difference between red and green traffic lights then you should be just fine.

backseater82

When I had my physical the only color vision test I had to take was the Falant and it's very easy. Just don't confuse white with yellow. It must have been a common error cause when I took the test there was a signe saying, "There is no yellow light."

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I'm a bit color weak...I think I see the green a lot fainter than most, but if they're flashing all three together I shouldn't have a prob. Is it a quick flash or do they hold it for a second?

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
they hold it for a bit

on the test i took the lights were really small but really bright

wildflyin69

That's great news! I can definately do that. Thanks for the info!!

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

Wolfpack

Thank You everyone for your replies. One last question. Do they flash these lights at you one time or are they flashed at you multiple times where each time you have to state where "X" color is? I'm just wanting to clarify if it is a one time deal and done or a series of items.

backseater82

They flash them one at a time and you just have to state what color you saw. They flash each color more than once and in diffent orders.

Physical strength will make an opponent weaken, but mental toughness will make him crack.

Wolfpack

Ok, I have done some research on the Falant test. It sounds simple. Not to beat the dead horse too much but has anyone here failed the PIP test (multi-colored dots with hidden numbers)and then passed the Falant? I would hate to be disqualified for something like this after all of the hard work and excitement.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by shunter
Ok, I have done some research on the Falant test. It sounds simple. Not to beat the dead horse too much but has anyone here failed the PIP test (multi-colored dots with hidden numbers)and then passed the Falant? I would hate to be disqualified for something like this after all of the hard work and excitement.

I have but they were not given by the Navy. I too was worried prior to entering the program since I had failed those multi-colored tests during civilian eye exam visits. Actually, when I picked up my two-year NROTC scholarship, I had a civilian doctor perform the physical exam and I flunked the multi-color vision test. The Navy never said a word and has only given me and relied on the light test in my 10.5 active years (plus one pre-comm flight physical) and I've never had a problem.

wildflyin69

bunk22, you are our red/green beacon of hope for this test...lol POWER to the COLOR WEAK!!!
bouncy_125.gif

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by wildflyin69
bunk22, you are our red/green beacon of hope for this test...lol POWER to the COLOR WEAK!!!
bouncy_125.gif

I had the same worries as you guys way back when. In the end, there was nothing to worry about. Relax and I'm sure it will work out fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.