• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n880dt

Im currently a freshman in high school but they say I should start looking for a college soon before its too late. Im looking forward to becoming a Naval Aviator, what colleges should I look into? I live in california but going somewhere farther would not bother me
icon_smile.gif
Does it matter where I go and what my majors are? Thank you!

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I wish I would have done what you are doing at your age. Get involved in some sports or something at your school. Make sure you focus on your grades. The better your grades, the better your chances at a scholarship somewhere that you want to go. I think it's awesome that you're already looking into your future, but don't get too far ahead of yourself. Live it up, now. I loved my high school days, and believe me... they do FLY by. Stay motivated. Good luck with all you encounter.
-H-

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Good on you!! Make yourself as well rounded as possible. Make atleast one varsity team and be active in a club or tow or your schools leadership class. Grades are really important as well. If you are already lookin ahead and trying to make yourself competitive, you should have no problems at all getting into a ROTC scholarship.

Other things that can help. Get involved in out of school activities. I helped out with civial air patrol kids .

Remember though, all these things look great on a app, but also make sure you enjoy HS, there is never another time in the world where you have so little responseibility..

As far as colleges... I went to Univertsity of Colorado in Boulder (I am from CA as well). THe NROTC unit was really good and the college was a great change from CA (although now I can't wait to get back).

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Bernard had some good points... but like he said he is not in the military and has no experience with military scholarship programs.

Forget how much a school costs. I agree no undregrad education is worth that much money, but if you get a ROTC scholarship.... Who cares how much the school is. The navy paid out over 100k for me to go to CU. In my opinion they got ripped off (the education was great, but not worth that amount of money.)

As far as a major. I was an engineering major. It will help a fraction at API. API is not designed to teach you the inner workings of aerodynamics... it is designed to teach guys who studied underwater basket weaving the basics of aviation. There are no calculators, higher math or calc based physics in API. They will show you some big equations... and then say, " all you need to know about this is that as side A get bigger, side B get smaller.

Like I said earlier, you are still in HS, enjoy that, don't stress about a college major. But when you get to that point, pick something that you are interested in, whatever it may be. THat way you can ENJOY college as well. It will be the last time in your life (if you join the Navy) that you will be allowed to be a complete idiot and have fun doing it!! LOL, I loved every minute of that.
That advantage the tech majors get when selecting for pilot is, 9 times out of 10, negated by their generally lower gpa's when compared to the arts and science guys.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Oh thank god...I was beginning to worry that I had made a bad choice in studying the art of aquatic basket weaving.

wusappenin

None
cal tech isnt a state school. it's a private school. as for advice for the kid, do well in high school. keep your options open, be it the academy, rotc, or going to a good california school. im at uc santa cruz. you've got a long time so just keep working hard
vince
half man - half amazing

Fredster809

I am curently enlisted and applied for OCS, but I have had a couple of ROTC Scholarships. I was given a 3 year Army Scholarship out of high school and earned a Navy Nursing Scholarship after being enlisted for 2 years.. I didn't want to be a Nurse or grunt, but I should be an NFO soon enough. Anyway the best advice I saw was to make at least one Varsity team. I was heavilly involved in Army ROTC in highschool (I was the 1st in command) I had all honors classes, but only a 3.25 GPA, and I wasnt't in any other sports, just ROTC things(Drill team Rifle team and Rangers.) It shows uncommon maturity that you are asking now; my GPA sufferred from me screwing around my freshman year, every year of highschool counts. Like everybody else said, get involved in as many things at school as possible, focusing on leadership roles. Be the captain or president of something/no matter what. You are applying to be an officer, they look for leadership and time management skills. So have fun, study hard, get involved in a broad range of activities and be captain of something. As far as colleges University of Arizona had an awesome ROTC program in 1994, but who knows now. Maybe you cen get into the Naval Academy and you won't have to worry about college.

jaerose

Let's not forget a non-academic issue that will be important for getting into one of those programs, especially the Academy...KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN! By that I mean don't get into any trouble. Yes, youthful screw-ups and mild stupidity is expected, but don't do something that could ruin your chances...have fun, but if you think you could get into big trouble for doing something, then it's probably a good idea to pass on the activity.

Good luck,
JR

I'm curious, during ROTC, is it more important to be on varsity athletics or can you fill up leadership with ROTC positions? I mean, I'm in IM sports and I'm no couch potato, but there's no way I could make my school's teams, and I don't want to be a benchwarmer.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
that comment about varsity sports was about high school man. It was meant as a way to make himself get competive for a scholarship

fraz76

n880dt, If you really want to get the gouge about the Navy and Naval Aviation at your age...Here’s something to look into the US Naval Sea Cadet Corp. www.seacadets.org read up on them. Here is the CA unit locator page - http://dolphin.seacadets.org/US_units/unitlist.asp?stateid=ca.

I am a former Sea Cadet and let me tell you, I learn so much about the Navy it’s not funny and I had great times. You will HAVE to go to a two week Boot Camp at either Great Lakes or a locally run training camp. Former / retired / active-duty Navy, and some cilivain voulenteers run the cadet corps program. The Sea Cadet are not Junior ROTC programs at some High Schools. We always made fun of them. It is supported by the Navy League.

After Boot camp you can then apply for advanced training from almost every community in the Navy. Programs such as the Seals, Seabees, Diver/EOD, Security, Ships, Subs and your goal Naval Aviation.

Now with NavAir there is Basic Airmen, Advanced Airmen, and FAA Ground School. Some of the Sea Cadets get their pilots license. Sea Cadet HQ in Arlington, VA have authorized there own version of Gold and Silver wings to recognized these outstanding Sea Cadets with there FAA License. I know that some of the advanced airmen training the cadets get some simulator time.

The cadets mirror the enlisted side of the Navy, its are great way to get exposed to the Navy at a young age. You will be issued orders to Navy base and obtain a Sea Cadet/DOD ID card. So by being in the Cadet Corps this will help your application for ROTC or the Academy. It’s a great program.

I am also a former Radioman 2nd class Petty Officer and if it wasn’t for the Sea Cadets I wouldn’t have made RM2 in two and half years. I was so well informed about the Navy that my peers thought I was in for a long time.

In the Sea Cadets I personnel have done recruiting duty, security training, color guard detail, went out to sea on the USS Anzio for two weeks. While onboard I conducted a weapons load at Naval Station Yorktown, checked out the ins and outs of the SH-60B Seahawk Helo and made a port stops to Canada and Boothbay, Maine. I was 16 years old at the time on board the Anzio. Some of the ships crew thought I was a reservist and when I told them how old I was there jaws dropped…hahahhahhaha. They would say “your still in HS”…

You have to attend monthly drills but it various from unit to unit. And you do these great training mostly during the summer. Some units go on trips to ships, air stations. So, if you need some more info shoot me an email.

Good Luck and Fly Navy,
Fraz76

Status
Not open for further replies.