• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College while active duty

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Can't help you on that one, been 8 years since I was in school so my information would be pretty useless.

NavySTL

STA-21 Pilot Selectee
The slots available will be strictly based on NON (Needs of Navy.) You can't go wrong either way. Having to choose between ET and FC is a good choice to have. Anyway, it doesn't matter whether you go ET or FC, you will be convinced that you made the right choice once you start "A" school and you guys start ripping on the other rate :D ! Go ET!

HarrierMech

I have recently been selected for MECEP and will be going to college this fall while still on Active Duty. I was curious if anyone knows how the MGIB works while you are still on Active Duty and if it is worth using it or if just trying to find scholarships/grants would be a better route to take.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Harriermech, will you be going to BOOST as part of MECEP?
Anyway, I think MGIB works the same regardless of when you start it. I would recommend checking out the grants and scholarships first, especially if you think you might like a master's in the future. However, the MGIB is a good deal because YOU get the money, it is not paid directly to the school. Therefore, anything above grants, scholarships and MGIB goes in your pocket. If you are unsure as to whether or not you wish to use MGIB for a masters, I recommend using it while part of MECEP.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Ok, my experience with using the MGIB while on AD. It's a pain in the butt and not worth it in my opinion. You don't get the full amount of the payout just what is needed. Meaning if your classes add up to 300 dollars you get 300 dollars AND, it counts as 1/2 a payment. For the MGIB you get 36 payments total. The payment is what ever the current amount is (I think it's over a grand right now). Now, if you take a payment while on active duty it still counts as a payment but you will only get the amount that your classes are. I was going to get a $400 payment but decided against it because it was just annoying and I had already paid for the classes. I would definately try to use all of your TA and anything else prior to using MGIB.

Here is a very helpful place to get grants for schools. The pell grant goes to the school but any extra goes to you after the semester. http://www.fasfa.com/
If you haven't already signed up for this I highly reccomend it.

HarrierMech

Thanks for all the good info. I had heard that you don't get the full amount, but I didn't know for sure. I also have the College Fund, so I don't know how that affects things. But I am pretty sure that I will qualify for federal financial aide and be able to get through at least one semester on that. Oh, etnuclearsailor, I will not be going to BOOST. I will be going to a prepatory school at MCRD San Diego for 9 weeks before I got to college. Thanks again.

JEEPER1219

spyguy called it right about the MGIB...it is a pain and even though you will get the full amount of your college paid for by it, you will notice that you are actually losing money. Granted it is money that you never really actually had, but in the end it is still a lose. Since you said that you have the GI bill and the college fund, the last calculations that I did to include the 600 kicker that you can put into the fund came out to around 1500 a month. Now I am not sure about MECP, but you may not even be able to use the GI Bill. I am not sure. Also the website that spyguy gave you is for a pay site, the free site is www.fafsa.ed.gov Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.