• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RXSilver

Being a junior, college is coming up pretty soon. I was planning on becoming a college program midshipman and i was wondering if the application process for that was the same as for the scholarship? is it a long process, or is it a "show up on the first day" kind of thing? if someone could explain the process for the college program that would be great.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
There is no "application" u just get in contact with the NROTC recruiter at the school that you are going ot be attending b4 hand. A lot of schools have an "orientation" b4 school starts and it would be beneficial to you to attend that. I would reccomend filling out the scholarship paperwork too, you never know, might pick it up.

I'm a college programmer, and I basically just walked in the door, gave em a few proofs of ID(birth certificate, SAT scores, etc.) and then got issued a whole CRAPLOAD of gear. There's no application, but there are a few really really easy forms.
I'm not sure you even need to contact them before hand...I did but it clearly wasn't necessary in my case.

And as bch said, just go for the scholarship...for the first year there's literally NO difference except you get PAID on scholarship, and you go on CORTRAMID(which I would actually love to go to). The second year, the only "benefit" is that you're not committed to the program unlike the scholarship kids, but by then you've probably made up your mind eh?

RXSilver

when would be a good time to contact the recruiter, once school has started, or during the summer before?
also is it as competitive to get a college program spot as a scholarship spot?

snizo

Supply Officer
I dont think there is a limit to the number of college program students at a unit, so it most likely isn't as competitive (if at all). You do 'compete' later on in ROTC as a college programmer, but you wouldn't need to worry about that for a while (2 yrs in, if I'm not mistaken).

Contact the recruiter whenever -- its their job to help you figure this stuff out. No harm in getting the ball rolling early.

College program spots, as far as I know, AREN'T competitive. You walk in, have SAT scores that are good enough(1300+ would be my guess) then say you want in. There's practically no competition for them whatsoever. I mean, you're not even going to get reimbursed in any way. It just sets you up better to pick up a scholarship later, and/or if you're wishy-washy on whether or not you want to commit, it gives you a little more time to think on it. College Program also works for ppl who got rejected form scholarship but still want to join. Odds are quite a few people will drop from the unit you join...meaning if you're still around after 1 or two years, and you prove you have your **** together, they'll give it to you.

As for contacting, I'd do it the academic year before. The "recruiter" is probably the unit's freshman adviser(an LT) at the school you plan to go to. As a result, during summer cruise, they be busy.
Also, that way you can ask if there's an orientation before the school year starts, which would be beneficial for you. It's kind of awkward entering a class full of guy's who've gone through O-week when you haven't.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
vegita1220 said:
College program spots, as far as I know, AREN'T competitive. You walk in, have SAT scores that are good enough(1300+ would be my guess) then say you want in. There's practically no competition for them whatsoever. I mean, you're not even going to get reimbursed in any way. It just sets you up better to pick up a scholarship later, and/or if you're wishy-washy on whether or not you want to commit, it gives you a little more time to think on it. College Program also works for ppl who got rejected form scholarship but still want to join. Odds are quite a few people will drop from the unit you join...meaning if you're still around after 1 or two years, and you prove you have your **** together, they'll give it to you.

Allright man... lets stop with throwing out random numbers that can scare people. 1300 SAT for college program???? HAHAHAHHA I got a 4yr scholarship with a lot lower SAT scores than that.

As far as people from your unit dropping and that scholarship being handed to someone else. Again IT DOES NOT work like that. If you have competive scores after your first semester they will submit another package for you. Again you go b4 a board and based on the competition and the number of scholarships they have that semester, you may or may not be offered one.

Lol, yeah, I was just throwing out a conservative estimate...I can't see them turning down a 1300.

But for Navy Options, aren't there a couple of scholarships every year that the CO of the unit is authorized to give out at his own discretion?

I'm at a really small unit compared to the numbers the unit is authorized, so maybe my case is a bit different.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
vegita1220 said:
Lol, yeah, I was just throwing out a conservative estimate...I can't see them turning down a 1300.

But for Navy Options, aren't there a couple of scholarships every year that the CO of the unit is authorized to give out at his own discretion?

I'm at a really small unit compared to the numbers the unit is authorized, so maybe my case is a bit different.

Look man, the point is 1300 is not conservative... you do not know if there is a limit or not, let alone what it is, so don't throw one out.

As far as I know there is no amount the CO can just say here this bud's for you.

myoun023

1180 SAT, 3.8 High school GPA, 4 year Varsity Letterman for Cross Country and Track, Eagle Scout, President and Vice President of school clubs, NHS, Model United Nations...I didnt get the scholarship either but im a College Program Midshipmen

At my school, our unit seems to be very competetive about getting scholarships, everyone here gets sent to the board every semister...but most of them dont get scholarships. Lucky for me im still a 4/c and hopefully a lot of people will drop.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
holy crap, you didn't get a scholarship myoun?! how awful!!! your profile fits that of an academy midn! oh well, shiet happens, doesn't it? i wish i knew what others schools had to offer, because i was eligible to get the scholarship long time ago, but didn't apply to a right school, so i had did college program once... let's just say it didn't end well. oh well, i'm sure all of you guys will pick up the scholarship sooner or later, good luck.

actually, i received a 1100 on the SAT (yeah, it's not that good), and when i called the closest OSO for a scholarship form, he said that i wans't good enough, and just shot me down over the phone...

myoun023

ha, im really not that spectacular...i had applied to the Naval Academy and didnt get in when i was a senior, i reapplied this year and didnt get in, and im gonna apply one more time. Im not sure why i didnt get a scholarship, if i was a betting man id say it was my grades in calculus in high school and last semister. I have at least another year to pick up a schlarship or if that fails at least get advanced standing. Anyone know how the selection boards view college program MIDN for aviation who didnt get scholarship but have advanced standing?

snizo

Supply Officer
There are some scholarship opportunities that exist other than the standard 4/3/2-year national ones. They have some different requirements (GPA, etc) from the standard scholarships and are based in part on your performance in school up to that point.

What it does boil down to, though, is the CO's recommendation. A unit is given x number of (some types of these) scholarships each year (# probably depends on the unit, and I'm sure some schools aren't given any) that are pretty much the CO's discression.

How do I know? I'm on one of these scholarships. I got it because of my academic record up to that point in school and because the CO wanted me. I was not, though, a college programmer beforehand - so it may only be available to people not already in the unit.

Bredoteau

Go Cal
Hey all, I'm going to be attending UC Berkeley this fall, and I'm planning on doing nrotc as a college programmer (mostly to give my parents some peace of mind that I don't have to commit so soon). Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting to pay to do nrotc? I have no idea how much, if any at all, I have to pay for things like uniforms, books, and orientation.

I know I should have applied for the 4 year scholarship to have my expenses covered, but it's too late for that now. However, I intend to apply for the 3 year scholarship and maybe one of the scholarships snizo just mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.