• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college program

Chris94

CWO selected
So I didn't receive the NROTC scholarship, slightly bummed but not too much. I'm planning on doing the college program and working my ass off to hopefully pick up a 3 year scholarship... Anybody know how much, if at all, the program differs between midshipmen on the college program and ones on scholarship?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Really no difference other than Scholarship students are getting paid and College Program students aren't. You'll all PT, attend classes, be under thes same rules, be required to participate in activities, and wear Navy Midshipmen uniforms. You'll also receive counseling from your assigned NROTC advisor.

-ea6bflyr :)

cameron172

pilot
Everything is the same except college program doesn't do their second or third class cruise. I'm sure you're already aware that you have to pick up at least a 2 year scholarship or make advanced standing (which I think they're getting rid of) before your junior year to commission. But don't be too bummed, I was never picked up for a scholarship and still commissioned through advanced standing.

Carny

Captain Tyin Knots
I believe the 4 year scholarship is still an option, talk to your adviser when you check in because I think you have to apply before your first semester is over and must have less than 16 credits.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the 4 year scholarship is still an option, talk to your adviser when you check in because I think you have to apply before your first semester is over and must have less than 16 credits.
Are you referring to the PNS leadership scholarship? IIRC, those are 3.5 and 3 year spot scholarships.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Carny

Captain Tyin Knots
Are you referring to the PNS leadership scholarship? IIRC, those are 3.5 and 3 year spot scholarships.

-ea6bflyr ;)

We've had at least two guys here (Penn State) pick up a four year scholarship during their freshman year so they will end up being in school for 5 years, it's essentially the same as a 4 year scholarship student straight out of high school, from my knowledge which is admittedly very limited, you can't be registered as college program student and need to have less than 16 credits to be eligible but the unit staff helped them get the scholarship package put together. We did have about 8 guys pick up a 2 year scholarship last year though so there's certainly hope for that.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
And FWIW there are various options with the scholarship. I was a college program freshman, picked up a 3 yr scholarship after that year, and then did an extra two terms out of pocket to finish out my "senior" year, which was actually yr #5.........engineering + naval science often took just a little more than 4 years for a lot of guys when I was going through. Either way, the bottom line is that there are plenty of options for you as a college programmer, and I'm sure you will get picked up at some point if you are doing things right....ie doing well in school, participating in the NROTC program in a meaningful way, doing well on the PRT, etc.

Chris94

CWO selected
Yeah I'm not looking for 5 years of schooling, unless it's absolutely necessary... with that being said, I'm making it my goal to pick up a 3 1/2 year scholarship my freshman year or a 3 years scholarship after my freshman year. I know what needs to be done and I think I can make it happen. Anyone know the number for the Naval Science Office at SDSU? not USD.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone know the number for the Naval Science Office at SDSU? not USD.

It's a consortium. All San Diego colleges fall under the same Professor of Naval Science (PNS) aka Commanding Officer. Call the SDSU number...I'm sure they can get you to the right person.

-ea6bflyr ;)