• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college program with college credits?

Chris94

CWO selected
I'm planning on doing 1 year of community college here in Clovis and then transferring to an NROTC college (cal maritime or point loma). My question is, since there isn't a 3 year scholarship, can I still get into the college program as a sophomore with 30 credits or less? or do I have to go into the NROTC college as a freshman?

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Unless things have changed in the last few years you don't have to start the college program as a freshman however if you don't get a scholarship by junior year I don't believe you'll be allowed to stay on.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I got a 3 yr scholarship, as a transfer student. Did CP my freshman year, and picked it up the following summer. I was never under the impression that there was a real hard and fast rule about the length of scholarship......I could be wrong of course. But at that point (mind you this was almost 10 yrs ago now), they basically just saw that I had roughly 3 yrs left on the books, and that is what my scholarship reflected.

Chris94

CWO selected
I got a 3 yr scholarship, as a transfer student. Did CP my freshman year, and picked it up the following summer. I was never under the impression that there was a real hard and fast rule about the length of scholarship......I could be wrong of course. But at that point (mind you this was almost 10 yrs ago now), they basically just saw that I had roughly 3 yrs left on the books, and that is what my scholarship reflected.
If you transfered, wouldn't you have started done the college program sophomore year?

Carny

Captain Tyin Knots
ea6bflyr is the man to talk to about this stuff. To the best of my knowledge the only scholarships currently available are 2 year and 4 year. Best advice you'll get is if you call the NROTC staff at cal maritime or point loma.

EDIT: And no you won't have to start in the NROTC program as a freshman you will still graduate on time, it's not like the academy in that sense.

CharlieMike

Wannabe
One thing I've heard over and over lately about NROTC is that if you don't get some sort of NROTC scholarship (whether it be 4 or 3 year), it's extremely hard to be a college programmer your whole time in college (read: if you don't get a scholarship, you're pretty much screwed and won't be commissioning through NROTC) That's just what I've heard lately though.

Carny

Captain Tyin Knots
I wouldn't say it's extremely hard, by the time senior year rolls around there are many more scholarship folk than advanced standing but that's mostly because not many college programmers stick around until the end, it's a lot easier to drop without the scholarship. If the Navy is really what you want get a solid GPA and stand out in your battalion as a solid performer, when applying for the scholarship already having calc and physics on your transcript can help too.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you transfered, wouldn't you have started done the college program sophomore year?

I was a "transfer" student, but I transferred from a part 141 flight school program, so not much of my 2 years prior counted towards anything, aside from a couple calc classes and some real core stuff (like 100 level gen ed classes). So when I started NROTC, I was for all intents and purposes still really a freshman, just a couple years older than most of my classmattes. Between NROTC courses, and an engineering degree, I ended up being in college for 6.5 years (4.5 in NROTC). Sadly they didn't call me "Dr." afterwards :)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Between NROTC courses, and an engineering degree, I ended up being in college for 6.5 years (4.5 in NROTC). Sadly they didn't call me "Dr." afterwards :)
Without reservation, I'd rather have 'Wings of Gold' than a doctorate degree any day... without hesitation. Flying Hornets is more icing on the cake!;)
VFA-146-6.jpg
BzB

Chris94

CWO selected
One thing I've heard over and over lately about NROTC is that if you don't get some sort of NROTC scholarship (whether it be 4 or 3 year), it's extremely hard to be a college programmer your whole time in college (read: if you don't get a scholarship, you're pretty much screwed and won't be commissioning through NROTC) That's just what I've heard lately though.
I'm hoping to pick up a scholarship after the first year, or (if I'm extremely fortunate) the first semester.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can do College Program all the way up to the end of your Sophomore year. After that, you either have to be on a scholarship or be an Advance Standing student in order to get a commission from the NROTC (not counting STA-21 or MECEP students). If you join the NROTC as a Sophomore, and get a scholarship or Advanced Standing, you can make up the NROTC classes in order to graduate on time.

My info may be dated as I finished my NROTC job back in 2004, but we had 3.5 year PNS, 3 year and 2 year scholarships as well as Advanced Standing opportunities.

If you do the transfer option, you have to hit the ground running; grades, and active participation in the NROTC will get you there. It has been done before, but you have to earn it.