• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college math requirement question . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

spidrwmn

For any of you non technical majors out there: I am a history major and am only required to take college math, but I had taken college algebra as a freshman and gotten a D. So I have decided to ditch this College algebra class ( that I am retaking) and take college math. My question is: what math classes did you take? I am just worried that it will look poorly on my application ( I also want to do BDCP). Any suggestions, comments, etc would be appreciated. Thanks!
- ps: I don't know if it effects anything, but I want to go SWO. Thanks again!!

- spider

spidrwmn

Calculus?? Physics?? Jeez, don't scare me like that!!!! I'm just a history major! Heck, I never even took that stuff in high school.
But beyond that D in math, I have gotten all A's and B's ( I have a 3.54 as of spring semester). Hope that counts for something in the end!

- spider

Jack

Nikki - I was on an NROTC scholarship through college. The scholarship required me take Calc I and II as well as Calculus based Physics I an II. I was a Political Science major so obviously it wasn't pretty.

I'm not proud to say that I took Calc I twice, Calc II twice, and Calc based Physics II twice. (told you it wasnt pretty)

Obviously you are not bound to those requirments. However, as Matt stated it would be wise to take the College Algerbra class again to get the grade up.

With all that being said I definitely agree with Matt that you dont need to be able to solve triple derivatives or be able to explain E=MC^2 to suceed in the pipleline.

The kind of math that you will need to be quick with is stuff like ratios and basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

I've explained my 'technical' history and have so far not suffered due to it.

jec

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I barely scraped by Calc 1. I didn't go any farther then that because a Criminal Law major just doesn't need all that numbers stuff. Obviously, I did just fine. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

spidrwmn

In light of whats been said, I have another question:
I am hoping to finish my application this semester, so wouldn't the grade still be a D when I sent in my application? So in that instance, it wouldn't matter if I was taking the class again or not would it?
Also, I asked my recruiter and he said it was better to take the lower math class and get an A than get another D in algebra. Any thoughts on that?
Sorry if it sounds like I am contradicting anyone, but I am in a tough situation and I don't want to make an un informed decision.
Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks again!!

- spider

Status
Not open for further replies.