• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College Loans and Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

pltReed

Happy Holidays everyone!

Now, back to AirWarriors! :)

I was chatting with some recruiters and when the subject of college loans came up, they essentially laughed me out of the office. I have 60K in student loans (I know... I know...) I didn't qualify for any of the federal grant programs, I don't have any family, and going to a small Liberal Arts school that doesnt offer any scholarships sucks. However, this is combined undergrad and grad school loan total

The recruiters said that my debt to income ratio was too large to pass a background check and hence, could not even consider applying to OCS. They said this was true for Navy, USMC, AF, and Army. They then handed my a business card for the enlisted recruiter, and told me to use the CLRP.

Any one ever heard of this before? Should I be calling the enlisted recruiter?? :)

Also, for younger applicants to the OCS program - I made it through undergrad and am finishing Grad school and I'm just turning 19. Should I go (if possible) straight into OCS (for USMC or Navy) at such a tender young age, or will I be laughed out of OCS and given holy hell for my youth? Would it be wiser to enlist for a few years, or otherwise occupy my time, and then join when my age is more similar to the median age of OCS?

To put it into perspective... If I were to join now, I'd be finishing FRS or in the Fleet when I would finally be allowed to drink! :) I'm young enough that the doc says I still have some growing to do, and could actually make the anthro's. However, if I don't, I'm still interested in a career in the military, and, though will mourn the loss of military aviation, I'll still happily serve. :)

*sigh* Any adivce, oh older and wiser ones?

Reed

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
I don't know any specifics except that the only way that you can be denied a slot is if you actually apply. No harm will come from actually applying, the worst that can happen is that they can "officially" say no thanks, please try again.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
I have about 50,000 in college loans (all undergrad) and had no problem 1) getting into OCS or 2) passing my background check. Maybe try a different recruiter who is more willing to help you.

EngineGirl

Status
Not open for further replies.