• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College loan reimbursement program

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
received what I would call the most thorough and gut checking flight training I think I would have gotten civilian side....I'm honestly very happy with it, even if it did cost me an arm and a leg.
Dude......you just don't know.

MasterBates

I forsee this guy being a Riddle Kid (tm) who is going to go "but.. but.. I went to ERAU!! I AM PREPARED" at his FPC or at selection when he gets his last choice.

There is NO civilian college style training that I would remotely call "gut checking" with a straight face. Unless you count that sinking feeling when you get tuition bills.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I forsee this guy being a Riddle Kid (tm) who is going to go "but.. but.. I went to ERAU!! I AM PREPARED" at his FPC or at selection when he gets his last choice.

There is NO civilian college style training that I would remotely call "gut checking" with a straight face. Unless you count that sinking feeling when you get tuition bills.
Gut checking-Doing 3 keg stands and making to your 8 oclock class
Gut checking-Sleeping with an entire sorority.....at the same time
Gut checking-Sleeping with your teaching assistant

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Sounds like FLYTPAY had a positive college experience. All this time I thought he was just a Star Wars geek.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Sounds like FLYTPAY had a positive college experience. All this time I thought he was just a Star Wars geek.
I had none of those gut-checking experiences. Star Wars geek huh.....I flew a Hornet yesterday ....what did you do :D

Reconjoe

what I would call the most thorough and gut checking flight training I think I would have gotten civilian side...

Not sure what the flamings about, it is intense on the civilian side, But I think it's clear the military side is harder, so whats everyone getting so worked up for? I didn't say anything alluding to me being the chosen one in a cockpit ready to hit 8+ G's at the merge right outa Riddle right?

Godspeed

pilot
I flew a Hornet yesterday ....what did you do :D

retrogamershirts_link1.jpg

Reconjoe

Respecting your views is one thing, but do you really think your giving me much room to believe you when you haven't been through Embry-Riddles flight training? (unless you have been, please correct me) I thought it was tough, are you saying my view is obsolete because you've been through something tougher? Thats why I haven't made any comments ever on military flight training, because i'm not there yet....just like I get pissed when people make comments about being a ground pounder when they've only seen one on discovery channel

Anyway...I think this thread is getting way off topic
And i'm done with the defensive, withdrawing to the LOD for TACWET

MasterBates

I've been thru flight school with RiddleKids(tm).

I've flown with and instructed RiddleKids(tm) in things that would make you shit.

I'm friends and have shared stories with RiddleKids(tm) who have gone the civ and mil routes.

What was so gut-checking about it? That you wouldn't get at any other Part 141 school?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I really don't want to get into a "Riddle is better/ Riddle is worse" discussion because it's always going to be an opinion thing. The fact is though I received an excellent education there, made some amazing contacts within NASA through the school, had 2 astronauts as close mentors, received what I would call the most thorough and gut checking flight training I think I would have gotten civilian side....I'm honestly very happy with it, even if it did cost me an arm and a leg.

In the end though thats all that matters...do you think you got a great overall education out of your school, both in and out of the class...and did they prepare you for the real world?

(A good number of our engineers however still don't know how to talk to girls, so they might need some follow on training after Riddle)

Listen dude. Seriously, your ERAU holier-than-though bullshit post is annoying. I know YOU think you had a crazy good 4 years of flight training, but the point is that plenty of ERAU pilots attrite from flight school.

You want to go to NASA? Ya, your degree won't get you there. You need an ENGINEERING degree or at least some form of a technical degree to become an astronaut. I'm sure there are probably a few exceptions to that rule, but in general, you do.

I went to ERAU Prescott, and I can tell you a lot of my friends who were AS degrees are now working retail since they can't find work to save their life.

You can defend your 150K debt, but the fact of the matter is that I am going to be a Naval Aviator (in a few weeks) and I only have 30K in debt, same as you will be IF you complete the flight school syllabus with your 150K debt.

ERAU is NOT special. ERAU doesn't get you jets. ERAU doesn't get you a "step ahead" in aviation careers. It's bullshit.

And as for the Engineers' lack of social skills? The AS students were usually so busy telling the girls they were pilots, Us engineers could grab the women, leave and the AS kids were still talking before they realized the girls had left. ;)

-ERAU Aerospace Engineering Alumnus

Before you get your panties in a bunch, I'm not attempting to attack you personally, here. I just get a bit annoyed whenever some newbie on AW starts posting the ERAU koolaide. It's been discussed here ad nauseum. Good luck to you, and you will have plenty of time in flight school to drink heavily to forget that looming debt. :D

Godspeed

pilot
Allright enough already.

ERAU is a good school. It is also very expensive. <-I don't think anyone here would dispute those, so lets just leave it at that.

All that matters is that at the end of the day is that YOU are happy with YOUR education (I went to Riddle, and I am).

In NAVY flight school, you'll find that your aeronautical science degree (more specifically your IFR experience) WILL help you out. Just don't believe that it will help you out anymore than others with IFR experience.

Similar to Otto, I know a few ERAU grads that have attrited/DOR'd out of flight school. On the other hand, I know many that did exceptionally well. Ultimately, it will be your hard work and dedication that will earn you your keep here, not your degree.

And to Otto: The bit about NASA isn't exactly accurate. I know 6 (six) ERAU grads that graduated and were directly employed by NASA upon graduation (Aerospace Engineering / Engineering Physics majors), two of which are friends. ERAU has had two Masters recipients go into space a couple years after graduation (were Engineering / science types, not pilot types). Not trying to say this has anything to do with ERAU being different than any other school, just wanted to get this straight.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Allright enough already.

ERAU is a good school. It is also very expensive. <-I don't think anyone here would dispute those, so lets just leave it at that.

All that matters is that at the end of the day is that YOU are happy with YOUR education (I went to Riddle, and I am).

In NAVY flight school, you'll find that your aeronautical science degree (more specifically your IFR experience) WILL help you out. Just don't believe that it will help you out anymore than others with IFR experience.

Similar to Otto, I know a few ERAU grads that have attrited/DOR'd out of flight school. On the other hand, I know many that did exceptionally well. Ultimately, it will be your hard work and dedication that will earn you your keep here, not your degree.

And to Otto: The bit about NASA isn't exactly accurate. I know 6 (six) ERAU grads that graduated and were directly employed by NASA upon graduation (Aerospace Engineering / Engineering Physics majors), two of which are friends. ERAU has had two Masters recipients go into space a couple years after graduation (were Engineering / science types, not pilot types). Not trying to say this has anything to do with ERAU being different than any other school, just wanted to get this straight.

How many Astronauts have been AS majors?

Godspeed

pilot
Was referring to this:

You want to go to NASA? Ya, your degree won't get you there.

Data on the mig was inaccurate.

If your point is that an BS in AS won't make you an astronaut, I agree.

I think he was just talking about general employment. I digress....

Status
Not open for further replies.