• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College loan reimbursement program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reconjoe

I did a search and didn't find any threads that answered this yet....

I'm told theres 30K waiting for me to help repay all 150K of my college loan :icon_help
Question is when do I take that step to claim the money? My OSO is new and says he's checking into it, so maybe someone here has gone through this yet?From what I've gathered so far it's either when I get to TBS or I can do the paperwork now and cash in before my loan shark finds out i'm broke, but which is it?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Get all your information gathered up. You will do this at TBS. There is a 2 hour or so class that you will go to if you are interested in the repayment program. I personally didnt have any loans so I cannot tell you any more details about it than that. But there is time for it here during the checking in stuff. It might be later on in the week if not the second week even. But there is definately time for it here. You want to have all your details about it though so you can fill out the forms easily and quickly.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Supposedly you do it all at TBS...but you don't see that money for a year after you graduate.

I wouldn't know, I paid my tuition out of my checking account and finished with no loans and now I am screwed...again...

I'm going to start taking out loans and stop paying my mortgage...:icon_rage

m26

Contributor
Just out of my own curiosity:

Is that a 30k loan, or 30k in loan repayment? I've not heard of anything like the latter.

Lobster

150k! You must have gone to med school!

Or just 4 years at a private college like mine...thieving bastards want around $43K a year...

But there's good news...i just saved a bunch of money on my college tuition by switching to Navy...a 15 minute call to your recruiter could save you 15% or more on your college tuition :D

Reconjoe

Yea it was Riddle for me, and honestly I'll defend it even though some would say you could get the same degree anywhere else for way less.......
It's good knowing that if for some reason I NPQ out of flight status or have to leave the military, I can always use my degree to get an airline or corporate jet pilot job, and NASA loves that I was one of 7 in the US this year to graduate with a proper minor in Astronautics, which is where I want to end up eventually.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
I left Riddle because I thought it was dumb to pay $150,000 for a degree in a career field that doesn't even require a degree. Between the level of instruction that I got there, vs here at the state school I'm at now, I'll pass on the $110,000 ERAU logo on my diploma because that's the only thing you're getting for the money.

Reconjoe

I really don't want to get into a "Riddle is better/ Riddle is worse" discussion because it's always going to be an opinion thing. The fact is though I received an excellent education there, made some amazing contacts within NASA through the school, had 2 astronauts as close mentors, received what I would call the most thorough and gut checking flight training I think I would have gotten civilian side....I'm honestly very happy with it, even if it did cost me an arm and a leg.

In the end though thats all that matters...do you think you got a great overall education out of your school, both in and out of the class...and did they prepare you for the real world?

(A good number of our engineers however still don't know how to talk to girls, so they might need some follow on training after Riddle)

Status
Not open for further replies.