• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College Graduate Trying to go to OCC in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

megrey06

Kingsville
Are you sure there is a November class? The next two that I know about are October and January.

As far the eye exam, they are very thorough but unless you have a known problem you should be fine. When I spoke with the Navy Flight Doctor at NAS Atlanta for my initial flight physical, he told me that the minimum requirement is 20/40 correctable to 20/20. Be sure to rest your eyes as much as possible a few days before the exam, and I always use some "natural tears" eye drops (nothing medicated) just to keep them moist. That seems to help keep my eyes clear for the exam. Of course, when you get the cycloplegic done they dilate your eyes anyway (not real comfortable).

-Matt

USMCpilotwannabe

Thanks I stand corrected it is the January class...I am going to go take my flight medical exam in a couple of weeks should be fun.

chadspec

My eyes (acuity) is better than 20/30, and my eyes are still not good enough for SNA. The crucial numbers are the refractive errors (spherical and cylindric) measured in diopters. Spherical errors produce myopia and hyperopia (near-sightedness and far-sightedness, resp.). Cylinder errors indicate astigmatism. The most current requirements are available at:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm#sna
Requirements for SNFO are considerably less stringent. There is a PRK Accession Study ongoing. The NOMI guys at Pensacola say acceptance is wide-open. If you are in this study, you can receive a waiver if your eyes (post-operatively) meet SNA requirements. More info on the PRK waiver stuff is here:
http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Nami/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#lasik

Hope this helps you. P.S. The dilation of your eyes isn't any big deal. No pain, just a little hard to focus and handle bright light for a few hours afterward--have someone else drive you home!

Later,
chad

Status
Not open for further replies.