• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College grad with...shattered dreams (?) of OCS

dandelo

Local 8251
Sup guys...new to the forum; don't really remember how I found you but I'm glad I did.

Anywho, I'm an Auburn grad with a bachelors in ... (zoology. don't laugh.). Unfortunately, through the process of growing up I wasn't able/willing to focus too much on "class," and I ended up with a pretty shoddy GPA, a mere 2.4. But I DID get my degree, although those darned recruiters and MEPS folks told me I just wasn't good enough to stand any chance whatsoever of getting into OCS without first getting some enlisted time under my belt.

True or not, I joined the Navy to be a pilot. I've wanted to for years, but I waited until I was nearly 26 to join, and now my time's running out. And as you all surely know by now, getting straight answers on subjects like this can be one arduous task.

So my question is, do I stand a decent chance of getting a commission, namely as a pilot? I just don't think I'd want to be an NFO; the type A half of my brain just wouldn't let me be the guy not holding the controls (no offense to you NFOs out there). I'm not quite a year in now, and I'm currently in FE school over at VP-3o, which unfortunately doesn't lead me much time to get ready for the ASTAB, much LESS put together a package (although a nice LT over here has been working with me to get the ball rolling). Should I be pushing hard for this, or am I just setting myself up for failure and an eventual frustrated blue-to-green run as a CWO helo pilot?

Thanks.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
This post needs more cowbell...

snl_blue_oyster_cowbell.jpg

More information please...evals, interview potential, SAT's etc....

pdx

HSM Pilot
I understand that you would like to start the application process with a warm fuzzy feeling, but nobody here can give you that. We don't know what your chances are. I'll try to summarize the previous answers I have seen to this type of thread.

1. Apply now. If you don't apply you can't get accepted. People have been accepted with all sorts of stats depending on their specific circumstances.

2. GPA is not the only thing the board looks at. Leadershp, ASTB, and personal statements are all very important. Even to those of us who have been accepted, the board can be a bit of a mystery. There are quite a few stories about people being accepted with low GPAs.

3. If you are open to the idea, you might consider the Marine Corps. They put less emphasis on GPA/ASTB, and more on leadership and the PFT.

As far as "setting yourself up for failure" that is a question only you can answer. Would you rather push hard and risk failure, or would you be content letting your chance pass you by.

My only other thought is that you will have to put time into studying and putting together a good app. If you don't have time, make time. If you can't make time, then it isn't important enough to you.

Maybe some other Airwarriors will have some additional ideas.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Not sure about the timing, etc here....someone who has gone the enlisted to OCS route will have better info than me on this, but a couple of things to think about.
You are on an enlisted contract (yrs?) and in school to be an FE. This means that you are going to have to get picked up STA or something similar, since you already have a degree this may be a little different as far as process. As far as getting rec's from your command and putting a package together, you are up against a couple of hurdles. My understanding is that a good E to O package needs good evals. You are less than a year in and in training, as I am sure that you have been the entire time. This means that you have not had the time to get any evals of substance from a fleet squadron. You training command evals probably are not going to be enough to make you competative against others who are trying the same thing. Again, someone who has more experience going this route. I would think that you will have to wait a while before you will be competative, and your age will start to play a factor as well. By enlisting you have encurred an obligation, and as you said, your package prior to it was not that strong, and you haven't done much in the way of making it any stronger. I am not sure if you can be guaranteed an aviation slot if you get picked up for OCS in this situation either. Someone here will know.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dandelo,

You are going to need to figure some things out, such as how bad you want this. If you want it bad enough, you'll find the time to put an OCS package together (including studying for and getting the ASTB taken care of). There's a couple things you need to keep in mind. For Pilot, you are supposed to be less than 27 years of age before you are commissioned. Applicants with prior active duty time can have this requirement waived (day for day) for up to 48 months. For NFO, you need to be less than 30 years old, waiverable up to 24 months for active duty time.

Now, what does this mean for you? So long as you remain on active duty for at least 4 years, you need to be commissioned before you turn 31 (for pilot) and 32 for NFO. I'd say you're looking pretty good from my perspective. You still have time to get a few years of some E-time under your belt to make yourself more competitive for an OCS application. I'll be honest, you don't sound very competitive right now. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply. If you apply now, it will make the next application that much easier. Force the navy to tell you no. Don't eliminate yourself from the running by not applying just because you might not get picked up. You (and I) never know. It just might happen.

Here's a checklist of the things you are going to need to take care of for your application. Good luck.

Attachments

• OCS CL.doc
    43 KB · Views: 67

dandelo

Local 8251
Evals? As the subsequent replies stated, I have no evals; the only thing coming close being the obligatory one we had to sign after working in Isis for 3 weeks; it didn't even have scores such as "EP."

ACT/SAT? Well I'm about to retake one or both considering that they're both long out of date (haven't taken either since high school), but my scores on the two were 34 and 1510, respectively. ASVAB the last time I took it was a 96 (down from my high school score of 99, lol; seems college made me dumber!).

Interview potential? Not really sure...I'm pretty good during most, though; I think I could handle myself pretty well.

As far as how bad I want this, I suppose my post made me sound a bit discouraged, which is true, but I wanted it as bad as anything I have ever wanted anything in my life. I'm not going to avoid putting in a package or wait until I'm out of FE school, I was just wandering if any of you had input on my possible chances from your experience seeing those who made it or got rejected (and thanks for the input).

Btw, Stinkster, my only option is OCS; STA doesn't allow for those with Bachelor's Degrees.

--- I do have a couple of questions, though. I'm not averse go joining the Marine Corps as an officer (provided I'd know going in that my pilot slot was guaranteed); do you have any more input as to how that would compare to being a Naval Officer? I don't know how they would judge my "leadership," but my PFT scores are pretty good ("excellent low-mid" range).

--- My other main question is...what type of person should I be looking at for recommendation letters? I had an RDC tell me that I really didn't want to use anyone below O-5 to O-6 in rank. Is this true? Does a Congressman's recommendation hold more sway than any of those? Does the officer need to know me WELL?

Thanks again for your input.

Stubby

Ask the Chief
Since you are actually at my squadron going through training....

Have you spoken to your Division Chief about your desires to be an officer? He is very helpful and interactive with student FE careers.

Also, see the Student Career Counselor in Student Control. We ordinarily don't encourage E's to put in packages while they are in training, but as you already have a degree you may be an exception.

If you want this you will need to work for it. FE is already the most challenging aircrew course at VP-30 and putting together a package is no easy task. Just remember that your current training is primary, failing out of FE school won't look good on your resume.

Good luck.

Officertob

Follow your heart

Your package for commissioning is not just based on one thing. It is similar to a portfolio. The Navy wants to see the real you. Good leadership is the key. Build up your package. Look forward not backwards. Follow your heart.

Officertob

Your RDC was correct . You should get an O5 or above, the higher up the better. I don't know about your unit, but in medical, we have plenty of commanders that see how hard we work as a unit. In medical,the officers for the most part work side by side with the enlisted. You develop a bond this way and you know they are lookin out.