• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college gpa

gohawkeyes

Couple of questions for anyone who can help-

What is considered a competitive college GPA for Marine OCS Aviation?

Also, how much of an effect does the University and major have on selection?

I'm still in the beginning stages of looking into OCS, and am curious as to where I stand. Any tips/help is much appreciated.

Thanks

scotty008

Back at last
pilot
there are so many variables that come into play that its pretty difficult to assign specific weights to things such as this. A better gpa will help you, but a less-than-impressive one will not necessarily keep one from getting accepted. Its more of a big picture issue. As for college and major... the weight of a specific school is negligible when compared to other things, and there are as many poli sci majors as technical guys walking around out here. Do a search for gpa and see what has been said in the past. Keep the grades up and focus on activities that demonstrate your potential as a leader. Be involved, and try to make yourself a well-rounded candidate for selection. Best of luck!

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I got selected for NFO with a very lowsy GPA, but my ASTB was pretty high, if you don't mind my saying so. PFT was decent, good LOR's, also. Do NOT take this the wrong way and assume that you should slack in your classes because you can compensate otherwise. The class you apply for may be more competative for the slot you want, so obviously the higher the GPA, the more likely you are for selection. I just post this so that if you do happen to have a less-than-stellar GPA, don't let it keep you from doing everything else in your power to apply and get selected.

And I always say this to people asking about applications: Bust your ass in PT, especially running, because it will save you in OCS...but do NOT overtrain and arrive at OCS with a high chance of injury (stress fractures.) I know that's off topic, but it's my self-appointed mission here to prevent others from suffering my fate. :)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
Out of all the great advice I got from this forum, the best advice was:

Apply Early. Apply Often. Apply Until You Get In.

Don't let your worries about GPA etc. keep you from talking to an OSO as soon as possible. The worst that can happen is they don't accept you. This is your career, you are responsible for making it happen.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Persistence is one of the traits they look for, also. They'd have to tell me flat out to stop applying because I'd never make it in before I quit. Even then, I'd try anyway just to make sure.

smustang51

Gohawkeye---Just to give you some hope, I got my flight contract with USMC last August for the summer of '07 PLC combined with a 2.67 GPA and a 6/6/6 and 52 ASTB. However, the physical really helped me. I had the 20 pullups and hundred situps, but my run was off with a 21:45. Good luck though!