• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College freshmen,time to get prepared and could use some advice

Stewart Terry

I am in my first semester of college, and am looking to pursue a degree in computer science. I know that, barring death, getting paralyzed, and losing a limb, I will end up going into the navy after I get my degree, and for the last few months, the BDCP is something I have been...well, drooling over. I am 17 years old, will be 21 by graduation (assuming I don't graduate early), and I have a few questions regarding competitiveness for the BDCP and my major.
First one, simply enough, is my major. Two things concern me, first, is computer science considered a technical degree (I would assume it is.) And second, if computer science is considered a technical degree, is it one of the majors that are considered moderately competitive for acceptance into the BDCP?
Oh, and I know that I cannot apply until I am within three years of graduation with a technical degree, (which would not be until May(ish) 2009 for me), but I really want to do everything I possibly can, as early as I can, to up my chances of getting the BDCP.

One large thing that concerns me is that I have practically NO extra-curricular activities...I know that extra-curricular is a large draw for most programs... A large reason for this is that, since I was probably 13-14 years old, I have been helping to run my father's business, and that has, quite frankly, eaten up a LOT of my spare time. This is particularly true since I have gotten slightly older, and my dad trusts me to run his business for him completely while he is away.
How bad does that lack of extra-curricular stuff hurt my being considered competitive?

And (long post, I know, appreciate all the people still reading), the college I am currently attending is Western Nevada College. About two years ago, it dropped the 'community' because it offers a few four-year degree programs. (None that I am pursuing...for all intents and purposes, I am using it as a 'community' college these first years, low cost that can't be beat) Now, I have read that community colleges are considered to be considerably less competitive for the BDCP. Although Western Nevada College is technically no longer a 'community' college, will the Navy still look at it as such?
I am planning on officially contacting an officer recruiter as soon as I have my first semester's college transcripts in my hands, (so I don't look like some college bum with no credentials looking for a cheap way to get through these four years). But are there any hoops I can start jumping through before then? (and I am very concerned about the lack of extra-curricular activities...I understand that can be crippling in many programs...)
Also, none of my immediate family are, or were, in the military (matter of fact, my hippie parents frown upon my desire to join) but I have a cousin who was a marine and who is now an active duty officer in the Navy, a grandfather who was in the Navy during the Vietnam war, and I have contact with two retired navy captains. Would these be good people to start 'sucking up' to for letters of recommendation?

Sorry for the long post, this program has been at the front of my mind for a few months now, and I had some questions stacked up until I finally signed up for air warrior's forums tonight.

ASHWND

(BDCP) Supply Corps OC
I am in my first semester of college, and am looking to pursue a degree in computer science. I know that, barring death, getting paralyzed, and losing a limb, I will end up going into the navy after I get my degree, and for the last few months, the BDCP is something I have been...well, drooling over. I am 17 years old, will be 21 by graduation (assuming I don't graduate early), and I have a few questions regarding competitiveness for the BDCP and my major.
First one, simply enough, is my major. Two things concern me, first, is computer science considered a technical degree (I would assume it is.) And second, if computer science is considered a technical degree, is it one of the majors that are considered moderately competitive for acceptance into the BDCP?
Oh, and I know that I cannot apply until I am within three years of graduation with a technical degree, (which would not be until May(ish) 2009 for me), but I really want to do everything I possibly can, as early as I can, to up my chances of getting the BDCP.

One large thing that concerns me is that I have practically NO extra-curricular activities...I know that extra-curricular is a large draw for most programs... A large reason for this is that, since I was probably 13-14 years old, I have been helping to run my father's business, and that has, quite frankly, eaten up a LOT of my spare time. This is particularly true since I have gotten slightly older, and my dad trusts me to run his business for him completely while he is away.
How bad does that lack of extra-curricular stuff hurt my being considered competitive?

And (long post, I know, appreciate all the people still reading), the college I am currently attending is Western Nevada College. About two years ago, it dropped the 'community' because it offers a few four-year degree programs. (None that I am pursuing...for all intents and purposes, I am using it as a 'community' college these first years, low cost that can't be beat) Now, I have read that community colleges are considered to be considerably less competitive for the BDCP. Although Western Nevada College is technically no longer a 'community' college, will the Navy still look at it as such?
I am planning on officially contacting an officer recruiter as soon as I have my first semester's college transcripts in my hands, (so I don't look like some college bum with no credentials looking for a cheap way to get through these four years). But are there any hoops I can start jumping through before then? (and I am very concerned about the lack of extra-curricular activities...I understand that can be crippling in many programs...)
Also, none of my immediate family are, or were, in the military (matter of fact, my hippie parents frown upon my desire to join) but I have a cousin who was a marine and who is now an active duty officer in the Navy, a grandfather who was in the Navy during the Vietnam war, and I have contact with two retired navy captains. Would these be good people to start 'sucking up' to for letters of recommendation?

Sorry for the long post, this program has been at the front of my mind for a few months now, and I had some questions stacked up until I finally signed up for air warrior's forums tonight.

Two things that might suck for you: 1. I am 99% sure that the technical degrees they are after only include engineering, and only if you want to go into the nuke program. 2. Your school might be viewed as a CC, which doesn't compare to the 4 years, though being a CC transfer to a University, I see no difference.

Two things that are good. 1. You are motivated and excited as he'll, a recruiter will like that and as long as you do a lot of the leg work in getting your package ready, he will do what ever he can to help you. 2. You have plenty of extracurricular activities, they just don't happen to be "secretary of the foo foo lame name school club" they are the experiences that you have gained while working in a business. Those are just as good, if not better in my opinion.

If you want to get started early I would look into getting some books on the ASTB (the ARCO book is best) and start to research some of the communities you want to join. You LORs need to be from people that the navy thinks are good judges of your character, meaning you have known them a while and you see them more than once a year. Interviews are great from retired as well as AD naval officers, though LCDR and above are the only ones that hold weight. You sound like you are on the right path, PM me if you have any more questions, I am about to sign final docs for BDCP soon, so I have already been through what you are going to experience.

nugget61

pilot
I'm confused - you say that you're going to be going to school for 4 years but you're not in a four year degree? I think that to be eligible for OCS you have to hold a 4 year degree. As for the extracurrics, try and volunteer a few hours every other week or so - just something to include with your package.

And best advice for a freshman - date a girl before she gets fat.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor

Alright, let me give you a quick run down.

First, go join a club. Get involved on campus. Join a sports club or a computer club. Something of the like. Take the initiative and at least join.

Student government is probably a good place to start for a general extracurricular.

Now is the time to get to know your professors and it probably wouldn't hurt to spend some time talking to the retired Navy Captains about what your future plans are. I wouldn't say suck up to them but instead show them that you have short-term and long-term goals and that you are responsible young man. People give better letters of reference when they know that you have a plan and set goals that you are out to achieve.

I think professors are an optimal source for LORs. Participate in class, but don't be a teacher's pet. Be assertive and stand up for what you believe even if it conflicts with the opinions of others. In others words don't be a YES man.

GRADES! It is my personal opinion that your grades will stand to show a lot more about you than most anything else in your package save for an LOR from someone who has known you for a very long time.

Reasoning: Grades depict to an extent, your work ethic and your intelligence. Also if you maintain good grades you don't have to stress as much about the ASTB.

If your school doesn't have a four year program for your degree I suggest booking out of their ASAP to one that does. I'm not certain that they will consider you if you are planning on transferring to another school. Maybe I misunderstood you but I doubt that I have.

Other than the stuff said above. Stay in shape or get there. Persevere and overcome all obstacles.

Good luck and welcome to AirWarriors.

Lobster

Doesn't the techinical degree depend on what career path you're going, I know its engineering for aviation.

For sure get involved in as much as you can on campus, I joined everything possible while still maintaining my GPA and I think that might have made the difference in my package. You can start talking with your recruiter now. I started talking to recruiters fall of my freshman year.

Good Luck!

gotta_fly

pilot
Like someone else said, you do have extracurricular experience. Unless you were helping your dad for course credit (which I doubt) then that would be outside your curricular experience; hence, extracurricular. The experience you gained from helping to run a small business would probably be more attractive to a leadership program than joining your outdoors club or collecting pogs. It wouldn't hurt to get involved in stuff if you're interested, but don't sell yourself short.

WRT to the degree, you must have a bachelor's degree to be eligible for commission in the Navy. Someone with more specific knowledge can help with whether or not a future planned college transfer or change of major is acceptable. In the meantime, if you want to be an officer in the Navy, find a way to get that four year degree!

Good luck,
Adam

Stewart Terry

One further question now that I think about it.
Off the record, purely theoretical. Creatine...bad for the navy? I'm not sure whether there would be a problem with it or not, so someone who knows...do I need to get off of it? Frowny face if I do, but pursuing a rewarding future is far more important than pursuing higher strength.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A former CIS major here (with a degree that is basically worthless now)... Whether your specific Computer Science degree is technical depends on your curriculum. For example, at UF there were 2 CIS degrees offered when I went through, one through the Business school, the other through the Engineering Dept. The Navy considered the Business one as non-technical, and the other one technical. As always, not all degrees are created equally. Check now to save heartache later.

Why wait to talk to a recruiter? I understand your desire to have your first semester grades in hand, but I would take the time to establish contacts early to show your sincerety and goals. The recruiter will more than likely have some excellent advice for you, but keep in mind that you are down the road on his/her priorities.

I am NOT up to speed on the competitiveness nor application guidelines WRT to BDCP. But all application programs depend on YOU spending the time to put together a competitive package. You are on the right track, asking questions and setting your goal. Best of luck to you and welcome to the website. You and others in your position trying to get a commission are why this site is here.

John

JJH

I would recommend to get together with an officer recruiter now. That would be the best way to start and to get your questions answered. There are small requirements your recruiter will tell you that you can get out of the way now, such as gathering your high school transcripts, ACT/SAT scores, etc. I would find out if the Navy qualifies your current college as a 4-year and whether or not you can apply for the 3 year BDCP for a technical degree.

Maintain a high GPA and get to know your professors-they make great references for letters of recommendations.

As far as extra-curriculars, I would recommend to join at least one student organization that interests you. A club will not take up too much of your time and it is a good way to gain a leadership position and to meet people as well. All schools have many clubs to choose from.

You still have a lot of time before OCS, but stay focused and motivated.

nugget61

pilot
I would recommend to get together with an officer recruiter now. That would be the best way to start and to get your questions answered. There are small requirements your recruiter will tell you that you can get out of the way now, such as gathering your high school transcripts, ACT/SAT scores, etc. I would find out if the Navy qualifies your current college as a 4-year and whether or not you can apply for the 3 year BDCP for a technical degree.

Maintain a high GPA and get to know your professors-they make great references for letters of recommendations.

As far as extra-curriculars, I would recommend to join at least one student organization that interests you. A club will not take up too much of your time and it is a good way to gain a leadership position and to meet people as well. All schools have many clubs to choose from.

You still have a lot of time before OCS, but stay focused and motivated.

And start a good PT schedule