• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

College completion options leading to flight school

getmeinaf18

Let me tell you my situation:
I am almost 24 years old.
I have already completed 2 years of college.
I am looking for the best possible plan to a Pilot position.
I just started talking to a Marine recruiter about the MECEP program. He says after I get done with all my Marine training I can start getting into college courses with 100% tuition coverage from Uncle Sam, and get my Bachelor's within 2 years. "With-out a doubt," he says. Is this completely true? If so, it sounds like the best plan for me to get a commision before I am 27. Does anyone out there have any knowledge on going to school full time while on active duty? Is there any MOS's that will make it easier or quicker to achieve? Thanks for any input.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
That's a super-optimistic timetable he gave you. Given your advancing age, I'd finish up those two years of college. "Enlist because you want to enlist, not because it will make you more competetive or get you comissioned faster," is the general mantra.

Of course, I'm just a wannabe, so heed me with a pound of salt...

If you a do a few searches, you'll turn up loads of useful results.

Flugelman

Contributor
and get my Bachelor's within 2 years. "With-out a doubt," he says.

I'd take that with more than a few grains of salt. I finished my degree at the end of my Naval career in a job that afforded me time to study while at work and lots of leeway to set my own schedule. I still had to work my ass off to complete everything within two years. Depending on the type of degree you pursue and courses available in whatever geographical area you wind up you will be extremely hard pressed to fit it in with your duties, especially as a junior enlisted.

Just my 2 cents worth...

getmeinaf18

I finished my degree at the end of my Naval career... I still had to work my ass off to complete everything within two years.

Give me some details: What degree did you get? Where were you stationed? What school did you go to? What were your work/class hours like. What was your MOS? Exactly how long did it take from when you started taking courses to when you finally got your degree?

If anyone else has a similar experience could you share it?

I figured it would not be easy to accomplish, but I want to know what I can do (location, MOS..) to get my self as many credits as possible, and get into flight school before I am too old. Or if I should just try to go to school on my own instead of enlisting (even though I can't afford it now).

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
He is full of it...the easiest way to get a commission is to never enlist.....this holds true in the Navy also.....don't give in, talk to an officer recruiter if that is what your goal is. It is harder to get a commission out of the enlisted ranks.

getmeinaf18

Is this the office you contacted?...
The office above is geared towards just that.

I actually talked to Captain Critchlow-Glenn before I talked to the recruiter. After asking me a series of questions, she told me, "since I am not in school now, that I may want to contact a recruiter." Should I try to get in a college now and stick with the OSO?

Flugelman

Contributor
Give me some details: What degree did you get? Where were you stationed? What school did you go to? What were your work/class hours like. What was your MOS? Exactly how long did it take from when you started taking courses to when you finally got your degree?

I was the AIMD Avionics Chief at NAS Corpus Christi at the time. We supported VT-28 (T-28s) and the station C-131 so we were not all that busy. I went to Corpus Christi State College (now Texas A&M at CC) and finished my Computer Science degree in 4 semesters. I was fortunate in that I was able to tailor my course load using some graduate degree courses. Having the ability to do this and a supportive CoC helped greatly. Had I been at any other duty station I doubt that my duties would have allowed me to carry that course load. As it was, I spent many late nights on campus and away from my family.

I really doubt that your duties as a junior enlisted would allow you to carry much of a course load. I agree with the other posters that your recuiter is painting a much too optimistic picture.

getmeinaf18

Well I really appreciate the input. He wanted me to get sworn in this weekend. Now I know to wait and explore other options.

phrogpilot73

I actually talked to Captain Critchlow-Glenn before I talked to the recruiter. After asking me a series of questions, she told me, "since I am not in school now, that I may want to contact a recruiter." Should I try to get in a college now and stick with the OSO?

Yup. The recruiter is only going to try and get you to enlist (which isn't a bad thing, I was prior enlisted)...
Well I really appreciate the input. He wanted me to get sworn in this weekend. Now I know to wait and explore other options.
It depends on what you really want to do. Do you really want to be a Marine Officer and a pilot? Because I can tell you with certainty that if you're trying to do it now before you're 27, there's a snowball's chance in hell that you get your degree done, much less be ready to be commissioned by 27. Realistically, I would say that after you hit the fleet (after training) and if you have a really flexible work schedule, you can probably finish your degree in 4 years. Maybe 3 1/2. That's assuming you only have 12 credit semesters (24 credits) remaining. Doubtful though.

If you're having trouble paying for school, try www.fastweb.com or become a regional trucker. That's how my buddy paid for college.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Let me tell you my situation:
I am almost 24 years old.
I have already completed 2 years of college.
I am looking for the best possible plan to a Pilot position.
I just started talking to a Marine recruiter about the MECEP program. He says after I get done with all my Marine training I can start getting into college courses with 100% tuition coverage from Uncle Sam, and get my Bachelor's within 2 years. "With-out a doubt," he says. Is this completely true? If so, it sounds like the best plan for me to get a commision before I am 27. Does anyone out there have any knowledge on going to school full time while on active duty? Is there any MOS's that will make it easier or quicker to achieve? Thanks for any input.

Obtaining your 4 year degree while on active duty is definitely possible. I was with squadron that deployed all the time (VRC-30 Det 5) and managed to complete 3 years of my degree, finished the last year when I got out. I was forced to complete my degree online because I deployed so often. However, there are a lot of commands that make it very possible to attend a traditional school.

I would just like you to keep a couple things in mind. If you go into the Marines, no matter what MOS you choose, you will have to go through boot camp and all of your military schools for your MOS before you can even think about taking college courses. That may be a year down the line (depending on your MOS).

Also, you recruiter says you will get 100% tuition assistance, that is misleading. You only get 100% tuition assistance for 4 courses per year!! Once you have taken 4 courses, you are out of tuition money for the year. However, you can do what I did...I would complete my 4 courses for the year, then I used my Montgomery GI Bill on active duty for the rest of the year. I did that for 3 years. Make sure if you do go in to turn down any signing bonus for college money. Get as much as you can! Get the GI Bill, the kicker, and the navy college fund, its worth it.

haubby

None
Contributor
Also, you recruiter says you will get 100% tuition assistance, that is misleading. You only get 100% tuition assistance for 4 courses per year!! Once you have taken 4 courses, you are out of tuition money for the year. However, you can do what I did...I would complete my 4 courses for the year, then I used my Montgomery GI Bill on active duty for the rest of the year. I did that for 3 years. Make sure if you do go in to turn down any signing bonus for college money. Get as much as you can! Get the GI Bill, the kicker, and the navy college fund, its worth it.

I've been going to college while on shore duty for a year and a half taking 10-12 credits per semester (6 credits during the summer semester) and I've used TA the entire time. I think the Navy policy is 16 credits/$4500 per fiscal year but many people don't realize is that you can request a waiver to exceed the credit limit once per FY. The catch is you CANNOT exceed the $4500 limit per FY so going to ERAU or some college with a high cost per credit hour is out of luck. I attend Tidewater Community College and the cost per credit hour is around $90 so I never come close to reaching $4500 cap. Of course I buy my own books but thats a small price to pay to continue my education. Just remember you can only apply for the waiver ONCE per FY. TA is a wonderful thing

For people curious here is the website:
https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/ta1.html

Tactical387

I agree with what most of these guys are saying. A recruiters job is to get people to enlist, and they will do a lot of talking to make that happen. If you want to be an officer, talk to an officer selection officer. There are no guarantees when you enlist...I know alot of people that have told me stories like this and they stayed enlisted until retirement - never finishing college. my advice- take your time, dont let money be your driving force, and think about what you really wanna do.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I've been going to college while on shore duty for a year and a half taking 10-12 credits per semester (6 credits during the summer semester) and I've used TA the entire time. I think the Navy policy is 16 credits/$4500 per fiscal year but many people don't realize is that you can request a waiver to exceed the credit limit once per FY. The catch is you CANNOT exceed the $4500 limit per FY so going to ERAU or some college with a high cost per credit hour is out of luck. I attend Tidewater Community College and the cost per credit hour is around $90 so I never come close to reaching $4500 cap. Of course I buy my own books but thats a small price to pay to continue my education. Just remember you can only apply for the waiver ONCE per FY. TA is a wonderful thing

For people curious here is the website:
https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/ta1.html

Good point about the high priced colleges. I went to UOP and they were 250 / credit for lower level and like 380/credit for upper level. Also, I never heard of the waiver, thats good info for these guys.

booboo11560

booboo11560
my advice to you..stay out of the enlisted ranks if you wanna fly.. being in a time of war.. you will deploy at some point or another. especially if its youre first four years of service.. there really is no easy way out to this.. just finish youre time and get it done ..do plc or bdcp.. or some program thats offered to college students,i go to embry riddle, iv thought about what youre thinking of doing.. and i wont let myself come to it. the flight student capitol of the world..and if life is shitty keep in mind that you're off to flight school! its better than taking the easy way out and enlisting for a side road track to what you really wanna do. best wishes.. and by the way that recruiters full of shit.. you wont have that degree done for another 4 years