• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

college and flight school

hardhearts

ok i kno this question has probably been answered before... i've been readin some of the posts and have gotten some opinions but nothin official...

for those of you who were aerospace engineering majors in college and then went on to flight school, did you find it helpful or harmful?

does it give you a head start at all in flight school?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
It certainly wasn't harmful. However, DO NOT choose aero engineering as your major because you think it might help you in flight school. Choose something that interests you. It will be more interesting and enjoyable. Besides, there are plenty of people who aren't even engineering majors who do fine in flight school and beyond.

kejo

pilot
The percentage of pilots who are aeronautical engineers is not as big as you'd think...actually I'd suppose it's fairly small. I majored in Naval Architecture and you don't see me wearing black shoes...definitely concur with picking a major that interests you. Just do your absolute best at whatever you pick and good luck!

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Political Science my friend (or Criminal Justice) - the path of least resistance. That is, of course, if you have any interest in either one of those (and you can handle the PolSci profs spilling their vile filth). Good luck to you, whichever way to go.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Of the four single anchor guys in my AVEWS class, I think only one has an engineering degree. That being said, my Bote Skool roommate, who was an aero engineer (complete with masters degree), failed out of Primary and is now a CEC officer.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was an aero engineering guy from ERAU. I ONLY got this major because I was interested in it and had NO intention of joining the military when I chose to pursue it. DO NOT choose a major for what it will do for you in flight school. Choose a major you're interested in. Your suicidal tendencies will be much reduced if you study something you enjoy. Yes aerodynamics is much easier for me than other folks, but keep in mind that in flight school, the curriculum is taught to the music major who doesn't know a vector from his ass. Don't sweat it.

Rubiks06

pilot
They even tell you when you start API that what you know about aero is wrong for the class purposes. The guys that had aero backgrounds seemed to have the hardest time with the aero part of API mostly because they knew too much.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
I was an aero major, picked it because that's what I was interested in. The guys in my major who picked it because they thought it might help with either flight school or selecting pilot didn't do very well or just plain hated life.
The courses themselves didn't particularly help or hurt in flight school, but I think an engineering major does help you learn study habits. I didn't have to study much in high school, so the time management and study habits I had to develop with an engineering major definately paid off in flight school.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I'll agree that picking a major to help in flight school/ make you look competitive for a sna/snfo slot is pretty useless. That being said, being a Mechanical engineer made the engines course in API a joke. Of course, there were majors of all types that made 100s, too.

Just remember that what you learn in API isn't needed all that often (outside of weather or FRR) once you start flying.

flyerstud4

Study what interests you, because it doesnt matter down here. I know guys with GS degrees(general studies) down here, haha talk about least resistance.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To add on to what these guys are saying, API and the flight syllabus is designed for the lowest common denominator... To take the dude who doesn't know his ass from the front end of an airplane and give him the requisite skills to successfully and safely plan and complete a mission.

In other words, don't be an aero major just because you want to be a NFO or NA. Pick a major you're interested in and can do well in.

I actually had the same though process... be an aero major so I can fly, not because I was actually interested in it. I ended up choosing computer science, and I've got wings and a major I was actually interested in.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Just remember, if you want later on to do something specific, like test pilot school, I believe engineering or science degrees are required. If you're a rock like me, do what you can that will get you the grades required to get in the program. The academics in flight school aren't that difficult at all.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hardhearts,
With all that said, a Technical degree may afford you a baseline understanding of problem solving which is helpful in the Aviation Profession, but not required. I know lots of Non-technical degree holders that fly.

Myself, I'm a Comp Sci guy, but never plan to use it for a job....writing code sucks!

Like everyone else said, choose what you are interested in or something you are good at....it will make college more enjoyable.

-ea6bflyr

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
If you end up helos (60% of Naval Aviators by the time you join), you study aerodynamic "theory" of helicopters anyway...and figure you only have to know the 3 reasons helos fly:

1) They beat the air into submission
2) They're so ugly the earth repels them
3) Because Chuck Norris allows them to

Enjoy college...join a fraternity.

~D

MasterBates

If you end up helos (60% of Naval Aviators by the time you join), you study aerodynamic "theory" of helicopters anyway...and figure you only have to know the 3 reasons helos fly:

1) They beat the air into submission
2) They're so ugly the earth repels them
3) Because Chuck Norris allows them to

Enjoy college...join a fraternity.

~D

Chunks is right on. I was a Mekanikal injuneer, and besides living to drive spelling Nazi's batshit, I have never used my degree. Any engineering that was helpful in flight school or the fleet was stuff I learned repairing tractor trailers, and heavy equipment.