• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Colitis

Footeflyer

I have seen several threads on this, but no one seems to be able to give a straight answer (Perhaps there isn't one), so I thought I would give it a try. I have been attempting to get into the USMC under an aviation contract, and the only thing really holding me back is a medical condition called Ulcerative Colitis. Someone I talked to in the marines said they spoke to a flight surgeon who said it's waiverable on a case by case basis. Some of the threads I see here though say it is not waiverable, and the waiver guide said it is only waiverable if you have the corrective surgery and are symptom free for at least a year.

I have what my doctor called a mild case of Colitis. I have had only one flare up, aprox. one year ago, which is also when I was diagnosed. I was on prednisone for a month, or month and a half and then was on pentasa until August when I switched to Lialda. What do you think the possibility is of me getting a waiver for the FC1, and have you heard of anyone receiving a waiver for this before they began flight training? Any insight would be a great help. Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
UC is considered DQ but a waiver can be granted. HOWEVER, that waiver is for designated aviators and not for applicants. "Colitis" is waiverable for applicants. The waiver guide doesn't beat around the bush about UC. I don't know what the current tenor is at NAMI, but in the past, even if you've been asymptomatic, as long as you have a diagnosis of UC, you're done.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm rereading your first post and I can't tell if you've actually been diagnosed w/ UC. If not, and you can get off the meds, seems like it's worth at least giving it a shot. The worse they can do is say no. Obviously a sit down w/ your doc first would be the place to start.

SH-60OB

pilot
^^ what he said

Additionally, make sure that you are clear about the condition that you have and what the doctor has put in your record. There is a significant difference between colitis and ulcerative colitis, both in severity and presentation of the disease as well as waiverability. Unfortutunately the most reliable way to diagnose what you have is based upon your GI's (and you need to be seeing a GI not a General surgeon) interpretation of the scope. (even biopsies are generally ambiguous) Ulcerative colitis has a very specific presentation. Absent this your GI may decide to classify your condition as indeterminate colitis (which can be waivered)

As for Meds, Mesalamine is waiverable for UC for designated aviators (less than 2.4g/day) so there is a chance that it could be waiver for you.

If the meds are working do not take yourself off with out consult with your GI.

For more info on IBD try the CCFA website: http://www.ccfa.org/

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As for Meds, Mesalamine is waiverable for UC for designated aviators (less than 2.4g/day) so there is a chance that it could be waiver for you.

Asacol is the other med (and more preferred when I went through this rigamaroll, hence why I've been contributing to this thread w/ out the MD after my name). Either way, UC is NOT waiverable for an applicant. Both per the waiver guide and anecdotal evidence. Otherwise, well said...again.

SH-60OB

pilot
Likewise not a doctor but did stay at a holiday inn...

• Asacol®
  • Canasa®
  • Pentasa®
  • Rowasa®
Are all brand names for the generic Mesalamine.

Lialda is also mesalamine but it comes in 1.2g pills instead of the 400mg versions of the others.

Yes, I know way too much about this

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are all brand names for the generic Mesalamine.

Ahh, touche. Fortunately I only had to worry about this stuff 10 years ago. Guess I'd forgotten the hip, "street" drug names. Plus I think there were only two Brand X names available from the Navy AND on the waiver guide at the time.

Renegade One

None
Oops...sorry. I entered this thread because I thought it was opened by a guy using the callsign "Colitis". Been watching too much "Heartbreak Ridge", I guess. My sympathies to those of you actually suffering from the malady.

V/R, Spike

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Oops...sorry. I entered this thread because I thought it was opened by a guy using the callsign "Colitis". Been watching too much "Heartbreak Ridge", I guess. My sympathies to those of you actually suffering from the malady.

V/R, Spike

I would not want to know how a person earned that callsign.

Footeflyer

SH-60OB,

You stated above that indeterminate colitis is waiverable. Are you positive about this? From what I understand indeterminate colitis is the diagnosis given to people when the doctor can not tell if they have Crohn's or UC. So this doesn't make sense to me because both of those conditions are generally not waiverable.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
SH-60OB,

You stated above that indeterminate colitis is waiverable. Are you positive about this? From what I understand indeterminate colitis is the diagnosis given to people when the doctor can not tell if they have Crohn's or UC. So this doesn't make sense to me because both of those conditions are generally not waiverable.

Per the waiver guide, "Colitis" is waiverable. UC (and of course Crohn's) is not for applicants.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I would not want to know how a person earned that callsign.
Wasn't it the Beatles who sang "the girl with colitis goes by?"

Best of luck to you Footeflyer; I hope that with your physicians assistance you can get this worked out.

Footeflyer

I have made the 1st attempt

Since my previous postings, I have gone back to the doctor and gotten myself off all medications with zero problems. The last time I have had a problem was over a year ago, which happens to also the first and only time a "flare up" occurred. My doctor says a diagnosis of indeterminate colitis is probably appropriate because they can't pinpoint what the problem is. So, I had him send all my records to MEPS and they sent back a letter stating I am disqualified and they need more information. So, I had my doctor write up a letter summarizing everything in a more orderly fashion, in which he clearly states that I am doing fine, seem to have indeterminate colitis and that I am not on any medication and am still doing fine. However, at the end of the letter he stated I should continue check ups approx. every 6 months. Supposedly this little piece disqualified me again because it means I have an ongoing problem. The DOD letter sent to me stated I was disqualified for : History of Chronic Inflammatory Bowel Disease; indeterminate type of colitis; currently controlled by sulfasalazine. This last part I don't get, because I am not on meds. Due to this the OSO office said they would put me on temporary disqual until I figure out everything.

If anyone has any insight for me on what I should do next in an attempt to get a waiver or whatever it may take, it would be greatly appreciated. I would be more then willing to send the letter detailing my "issues" and the disqual letter if you need it to help me any further.