• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War spy John Walker dies in prison

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
He never struck me as the "street smart" type. The best quote I've heard to describe Julian Assange works for Snowden, too "a dangerous combination of incompetence and arrogance."

Oh, three bullets just to be sure, if it's worth shooting once, it's worth shooting a couple more.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
He never struck me as the "street smart" type. The best quote I've heard to describe Julian Assange works for Snowden, too "a dangerous combination of incompetence and arrogance."

I learned a long time ago that you should try and keep your "Arrogance to Competence Ratio" at or below 1.0; Snowden seems well into the double digits by that measure...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What he has revealed is pretty bad to include plenty of info on the how and the who in addition to the 'whistleblower' stuff he proclaims is the reason behind his disclosures.
And this is why I think there's more to the story. I'll likely never know, but it wouldn't surprise me if the stuff he claims is the reason behind what he did was used as moral cover to sneak out the stuff that Ivan or Yen was REALLY interested in. If Snowden really believes he's a righteous whistleblower, then he should be a man, lawyer up, come back, and defend his actions to a jury of his peers.

I've accepted that in the highly unlikely event I ever have to disobey an illegal order in my career, I'd probably be court-martialed and (hopefully) acquitted to prove it. Until Snowden stops hiding, faces the music, and defends himself in court, he's not a hero, he's a fucking scumbag traitor.
But even then, it may not even matter if he did or did not sell secrets. If our government can't know the extent of what was removed, the mere threat of having a compromise is more than enough to change operations
And for the new folks who are just receiving clearances, this is why TS info is defined as things that would cause "exceptionally grave damage to national security" if released.

Last edited:

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Just read this article. If true it would explain why Snowden isn't going to lawyer up and come back. In addition to his claimed "whistleblower" documents, he specifically took a job that allowed him to steal tier 3 documents that had nothing to do with homeland surveillance. Sure sounds like non-altruistic reasons to me. Especially since it is highly likely that he gave a bunch of those to Chinese officials during his stay in Hong Kong.
http://www.businessinsider.com/snowden-took-level-1-and-level-3-documents-2014-8

"The government believes Snowden also took up to 1.5 million "tier 3" documents potentially detailing U.S. capabilities and NSA offensive cyber operations, the whereabouts of which are unknown...Furthermore, a close reading of relevant reporting and of statements made by Snowden suggests that much of what the rogue NSA employee intentionally took involved operational information unrelated to civil liberties."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This guy has a lot of interesting stuff about Snowden and has dug pretty deep. http://20committee.com/

Snowden appears to have been targeted by Ivan long before he came into the limelight, along with Asange. It's an interesting, and more than likely very educated, take on the situation. Although looks like the blogger has some other issues to deal with right now.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
We were probably interested in interrogating Walker to find out exactly what he revealed; taking him out would have limited that. It's okay that he just died without parole. I hope he didn't have a window either.

As for Snowden, he was way over the whistleblower line. There was plenty of non-classified information on the NSA having access to American's computers and phones waaayyy prior to Snowden. Blating out information about surveillance on frenemies had nothing to do with protecting Americans' privacy. I hope he hates the food in Russia! And if he had a hot girlfriend, he was paying her, no doubt.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
As this country's largest single employer of mathematicians they are always looking for more than a few good ones who are just as motivated and have just as much character as the folks serving this country in uniform.[/quote]

I have been in the sample test group for the new analyst test they are working on a couple of times. There are math questions, gambler, odds-type math, but there are some other weird, random-seeming types of questions too. I'm entertained by the peculiar melange of questions, so I'll probably be a guinea pig again. Hopefully, they can figure out how to weed out the rats like Snowden.

A7Dave

pilot
I'm sorry Walker is dead. I wish he'd lived a long and unpleasant life. Like Pollard. Die an old, despised, and forgotten POS, choking on prison food calling for help that doesn't come. If you're going to betray your country, do it for deep seated political motivations, or soak the commies for boucoup bucks. Walker did neither, but he put us in serious danger while he and his clan were betraying us to the Soviets.