• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cold War spy John Walker dies in prison

robav8r

None
Contributor
He had a HUGE impact on our ASW capabilities. And the technology he gave the Soviets about our own submarine force was devastating. I hope he burns . . . . . .

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
It was said the revelations from his espionage brought the Soviets up a generation in quieting technology.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
He had a HUGE impact on our ASW capabilities. And the technology he gave the Soviets about our own submarine force was devastating. I hope he burns . . . . . .

Makes you wonder what someone like Snowden revealed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

From some (limited) reading I've done, probably not as much as the press likes to make it sound. It appears that along with some of the programs he revealed, there was also a decent amount of disinformation being put forth in his name by the KGB (or whatever they're called now).

mitrokhin

There has been a lot of speculation as to what he took or didn't, and it is clear that people not in the know (RE: us) will never know.

But even then, it may not even matter if he did or did not sell secrets. If our government can't know the extent of what was removed, the mere threat of having a compromise is more than enough to change operations or bring the entire National Security Agency into question. I mean, it wouldn't be the first time people have called for the closure of the NSA and CIA. They really need to be far removed from the public eye to do what it is that they do.

The NSA came to my college campus, and I know of a few students who were either actively recruited or were going through the gambit of having SSBIs done or polygraph tests done and so on. And to be quite honest, if they are looking for mathematicians of this kind and character, then it gives me hope that the intel apparatus isn't so cloak and dagger after all. The young people that they are recruiting are by no means "yes men", although they are patriotic, and I think that is reassuring.

I'm sorry if this is off topic.

jmcquate

Contributor
Long removed from the game, but If I were to make an educated guess about Snowden's impact, it has to framed as compromised methods and intelligence at and about non-state actors and state actors, and whether state actors who have the capacity the analyze and modify behavior based on the information are willing to share with the non-state actors.

Oh.....and FUCK Walker! We should have killed him a long time ago.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I guess my view towards Snowden is the same as Walker, two in the chest, one in the head.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

From some (limited) reading I've done, probably not as much as the press likes to make it sound...

What he has revealed is pretty bad to include plenty of info on the how and the who in addition to the 'whistleblower' stuff he proclaims is the reason behind his disclosures.

...if they are looking for mathematicians of this kind and character, then it gives me hope that the intel apparatus isn't so cloak and dagger after all....

As this country's largest single employer of mathematicians they are always looking for more than a few good ones who are just as motivated and have just as much character as the folks serving this country in uniform.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Good riddance.

All I'm going to say about Snowden here is that I hope he's enjoying Moscow as much as Kim Philby did.

Snowden was a moron. He traded a high-paying job in Hawaii (and a hot girlfriend) for a low-level tech support job in freezing Siberia.

Definitely didn't think that one through, did ya Snowden?.... :)