• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cobras and Hueys

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So, as if I don’t have enough volunteer obligations I have recently picked up another. I think some of you may be interested in it yourself. The Army Aviation Heritage Foundation just started up a new chapter, first west of the Mississippi, in AZ. A retired Army O-6 who is also a newly retired VP at Boeing Helicopters that I flew with in the Sheriff’s Office started it, so I came over. We just got our first aircraft last week, an AH-1F Cobra. There is a good chance we will have a Huey by end of next year. We are also angling for an OV-1 Mohawk and O-1 Bird Dog. As a fixed wing only guy I am holding out for them. In the mean time I am happy to help in any way.

We had our first event today. I will be working air show ops, loading and briefing pax, helping with minor maintenance like dailies, and helping promote the new outfit. When the Huey comes I hope to train as a crew chief. The big payoff comes someday when I can fly copilot on a ferry flight or repositioning hop.

The Legacy Chapter is in the Atlanta area and we are in AZ. I highly recommend this organization. You helo guys just might get an awesome flying opportunity. Any job is rewarding given that we are keeping museum pieces flying in their original condition. The vets, especially the Vietnam guys, just love it. Some will buy rides in the Huey for all their grand kids just so they can experience a small part of what grandpa did in his youth. I have worked several airshows and static displays over the years. Folks really respond to this unlike most of my observations in the past. Had a guy today buy a ride in the Cobra because he was wondering what it was like from the pilot’s position all those times Cobras came to support him in combat.

The AH-1s are actually still on the Army registry and bailed to the Foundation. They have 13 total. Only a handful are flying so far. The other aircraft are owned by the Foundation or a member who permits its use to support the mission of the Foundation. The Hueys and Cobras are maintained to Army specification, aggravatingly so! The Cobras are actually required by the bail agreement to be maintained by the book and the Foundation is audited by the Army to ensure they are. The aircraft are in super condition.

Check out this great organization. If you live anywhere near a chapter consider getting involved. In any case, your membership money, merchandise purchase or donation would be greatly appreciated. If you are a Socal resident, we are trying to see if we can get into the Miramar Show next year. If so, I’ll be there. Come say hey.

http://www.armyav.org/home-page.html

Last edited:

irish28

pilot
I took a ride in one of their Hueys in 5th grade at one of their Atlanta-area airshows. That ride is the reason I wanted to fly. Still have my "I flew with the Sky Soldiers" T Shirt with the Huey on it. That's awesome they are expanding!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Her hair is out of regs, I am sure the Army audit will note that.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Her hair is out of regs, I am sure torganizationdit will note that.
You might think so given how serious the bailment of a flying Army aircraft to a civ organization is taken. Of course they don't. Good thing. I saw a couple very cool out of regs beards and moustashes this weekend.

Jublov

Play Top Gun Til' the VHS breaks
Great helicopters, think I'll donate to this, nothing beats a good huey chopper noise, great post wink.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll have a lot more fun if one of you can vector me onto an OV-1, O-1 or L-5/4/3. Projects considered. We have a butt load of maintenance talent, and great support form several organizations to include Boeing Helicopters and local repair stations with hangar space and specialized tools to lend.

Last edited:

HeliOps

You should talk to DoS INL Air Wing at Patrick AFB. They used to operate a few Bronco's but think they stopped doing so. Maybe worth a call or two.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Where is this "mississippi" you speak of and how would I define what is west of it?

West of it is where all the airport identifiers start with the letter W instead of K, so that people won't get them mixed up with the radio and TV stations that start with the letter K instead of W.

^^^
Tell that to ten people and see how many of them fall for it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You should talk to DoS INL Air Wing at Patrick AFB. They used to operate a few Bronco's but think they stopped doing so. Maybe worth a call or two.
My bad. Typo in my post indicated OV-10. The Bronco would be more fun, but it isn't what an Army flying museum needs. We would need an OV-1 Mohawk. Still cool enough. But Broncos are easier to come by and I suspect more fun. Safer too I am betting. Of 380 aircraft built 130 have crashed. That is over 30%!! Of course some were combat losses. I haven't gotten into all the details, but it seems as though most of the losses in country were not due to enemy fire. Just scanning, looks like a lot of engine failures and subsequent loss of control below V2. There are a few Mohawks in private hands. I haven't found a civilian crash yet. Can't believe there hasn't been one. Back in the mid 80s Customs was using Mohawks for drug interdiction. But since then I haven't heard of any government agency operators.